Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Replacement 12v battery for Lexus RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-19, 09:51 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, I just had the Champion AGM installed at Pep Boys. They firstly confirmed old battery was failing on load test. Cost ~ $160 (half the price Toyota quoted). Has full 4 year warranty. They used an OBD "memory saver" during installation, which preserved most settings (but not MPG or radio station presets).
Old 09-02-19, 10:35 AM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drevic
2010 RX459H with 106,000 miles. Has original 12V Battery. Should I change it ?
FWIW, my 2010 RX450h has 188,000 miles with the original 12V battery. Never had a problem. Probably on borrowed time. I never leave the car in ACC mode, always on and let the car decide if it needs to run the Engine or not based on battery levels.
Old 09-03-19, 12:04 PM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepysurf
FYI, I just had the Champion AGM installed at Pep Boys. They firstly confirmed old battery was failing on load test. Cost ~ $160 (half the price Toyota quoted). Has full 4 year warranty. They used an OBD "memory saver" during installation, which preserved most settings (but not MPG or radio station presets).
This is what I dread about replacing the 12v battery, losing my long term MPG. If they really properly used a memory saver, it should have kept the MPG data no?

Originally Posted by sleepysurf
After reading the long referenced thread on 450h 12V battery options, I decided to get the Bosch from Pep Boys. Unfortunately, no local stores have them in stock. However, they also list a Champion AGM as being compatible (and vented)... https://www.pepboys.com/champion-agm...581?quantity=1

My local store has them in stock.

Does anybody have experience with this particular Champion battery?
I just ordered the Champion AGM, with the 25% off it's $146 right now, plus there's a $40 mail in rebate. I chose to pickup in store and install myself so I had to pay an $18 core charge. I'm going to use a battery tender connected to the jump terminals and see if I can preserve my MPG data, which I have not reset since I bought the car.

My car is a 2012 with ~115K miles on, still with the original Panasonic battery. I checked earlier it's between 11-12V so it's on its way out.

Here's what I thought was so interesting. I replaced the battery in our 2011 CT200h early this year in January or February, car had just over 100K miles at the time. The CT was purchased in 11/2011, so the original battery was just over 7 years old at time of replacement. In a rush to get the car started, I bought the OEM battery from Lexus for $225. Right on the battery itself it says 84 months warranty. Do they know what they're doing or what lol.

The CT retained all but the MPG data. I did it in a rush and did not try to retain the memory. I will update here after I swap out my RX450h whether I'm able to retain all data in the car.
Old 09-06-19, 04:31 AM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

So the Champion battery didn't come with the elbow for the vent tube, and the OEM Panasonic elbow doesn't fit there. Yesterday the Bosch became available and I picked one up, and the guy at the counter gave me the proper elbow with it.

Since I had the Champion still sitting in my garage, I busted out a jump cable and connected it to the jump terminals under the hood (positive terminal under fuse box on driver's side) with the Champion while I disconnected the OEM battery. When I removed the original battery the interior lights remained on, so I knew I was good. Nothing was lost including my MPG data.

My original plan was to jump the same terminal with one of those Harbor Freight battery tenders. The one I bought it will not supply power without being connected to a battery so that wasn't going to work. Had I not have the second battery to use I likely would've jumped it with my CT200h. I'll probably keep the original Panasonic battery for future uses.

The Panasonic read 12.3 volts while it was still connected in the car. After having sat on the floor in the garage overnight it read 12.5 volts. My car was built 10/2011 so the battery is 8yrs old. I'm no battery expert but judging by the voltage it likely still has plenty of life left. I'll keep it and forget the $18 for the core charge.
Old 09-20-19, 11:34 PM
KelvinLi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just replaced my 2010 Lexus RX450h 12V battery ,

[QUOTE=Stanford9;9218531]My 2011 RX 450H with 42k miles still has the original Panasonic12 volt battery. It is just over 5 years old. My SA at the dealership says that it test good. However he also says that he would replace it before winter if I wanted to be on the safe side. What is the average life of the battery?
What brand would be the best and what should the cost be? I never use the accessory mode.
Thanks in advance.[/QUO

My 2010 Lexus RX450h with 142k km , I just replaced the 12V battery two weeks ago , the original battery was Panasonic , quality was very good , but this Lexus is 9 years already , battery test was 10.5V , dealer offered the price was 520CND, I went to Costco found a AGM battery , checked on the book it is fit on my car , replaced it with in 30 minuts , cost 184CND,
Old 09-22-19, 12:39 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 564 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by KelvinLi
I went to Costco found a AGM battery , checked on the book it is fit on my car , replaced it with in 30 minuts , cost 184CND,
Which specific model did you get, and how was the fit? I did a cursory look at Costco and didn't really see one that would be a good fit. Did you use the vent tube? Over 10 years now on the original battery, so the clock is ticking.
Old 09-28-19, 10:03 AM
KelvinLi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Droid13
Which specific model did you get, and how was the fit? I did a cursory look at Costco and didn't really see one that would be a good fit. Did you use the vent tube? Over 10 years now on the original battery, so the clock is ticking.
check it on the book , there is only one can fit it ,it called energize AGM 35 something like that , there are two , yes there are two vent on battery ,but we only can use one
Old 09-28-19, 03:46 PM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Oddly enough I was jsut at Costco looking today. I too am on the original battery. I can confirm it is the energizer 35-AGM in the book, that is the only one listed in the book for the 450H 3rd gen hybrid.They didn't have any on the shelf, it is listed at $180. I will be keeping my eye on this also.

Also listed online.
https://www.costco.ca/Energizer-35-A...100408225.html
Old 10-25-19, 09:47 AM
Bear1906
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery help

All, need to replace the battery on my 2010 Rx450h. I read the thread on the battery choices.However,I have one basic question that needs to be answered-do I need to find a battery with a vent hole/connector if I go with AGM? None of these auto battery places seem to know. It is frustrating.Let me know of any good aftermarket selection batteries. Thanks!
Old 10-25-19, 10:24 AM
Monklebery
Driver School Candidate

Default Affordable battery replacement for RX 450h...

Hey, all -

I found an auto parts place that says they have a 12v glass mat battery for my 450h for 200 bucks... 500-600 to replace the battery at the dealer is preposterous.

Anybody have thoughts on this? Has anybody replaced their 12v battery with a non-dealer battery?

How I read to replace it so as how to not lose any settings... START the car and leave it running while replacing.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Monklebery; 10-25-19 at 10:24 AM. Reason: missing info
Old 10-25-19, 10:31 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

Where is your battery located? If it is in the engine bay, no vent tube is needed. If it is in the interior of the vehicle (such as underneath the cargo floor), a vent tube is required. My wife's 2006 Jaguar XK8 convertible's battery is underneath the trunk floor. Last summer I installed a Bosch AGM battery with the appropriate vent tube. It continues to function normally.
Old 10-25-19, 10:36 AM
Monklebery
Driver School Candidate

Sorry if I'm replying twice not sure if my first reply sent...

The battery is in the back next to the tire. Here is the new one... AutoCraft Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size 35, 650 CCA

If there is a vent tube already there can I just use the old one? Or is it something that is attached to the battery.

Thank you!
Old 10-25-19, 04:35 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Monklebery
Anybody have thoughts on this? Has anybody replaced their 12v battery with a non-dealer battery?
How I read to replace it so as how to not lose any settings... START the car and leave it running while replacing.
As the battery resides in the interior cabin space of the vehicle (underneath the floor), it really needs to be a sealed battery, like an AGM, instead of a conventional battery that has venting caps.
Any AGM battery should do - there is nothing specific about needing to be a Toyota or Lexus specific battery, although they may be of better build quality, for their exhorbitant cost. You can look for alternatives to the OEM battery which is a Panasonic S55D23L

To keep the radio settings, you can connect the front jump leads to another vehicle's battery, just to keep 12 volts on your vehicle to retain memory settings.
Old 10-25-19, 05:38 PM
Monklebery
Driver School Candidate

That is really fantastic information and exactly what I need to know. Thank you so much!

Originally Posted by tempestv8
As the battery resides in the interior cabin space of the vehicle (underneath the floor), it really needs to be a sealed battery, like an AGM, instead of a conventional battery that has venting caps.
Any AGM battery should do - there is nothing specific about needing to be a Toyota or Lexus specific battery, although they may be of better build quality, for their exhorbitant cost. You can look for alternatives to the OEM battery which is a Panasonic S55D23L

To keep the radio settings, you can connect the front jump leads to another vehicle's battery, just to keep 12 volts on your vehicle to retain memory settings.
Old 10-27-19, 06:24 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Hybrid vehicle 12V battery

I found that Batteries Plus carries deep cycle AGM batteries for $209 here in Seattle metro. That's less than Optima. Also, sales guy told me that Optimas were sold to Johnson Supply and are now made in China, with according lower quality.
Ones at Battery Plus are Duracell. No, no vent provision but I do not believe you really need it.

Quick Reply: Replacement 12v battery for Lexus RX450h