Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Replacement 12v battery for Lexus RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-22, 01:09 PM
CanJim
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Odyssey ODP-AGM47 H5 L2 for a 2015 450h

Originally Posted by mcicvara
For Canadian fellows, looks like Odyssey ODP-AGM47 H5 L2 (formerly 47-650) is available, currently looking into ordering 1 for my 2015 RX-450h.
Will post the results.
I know it's been a while but did you buy the Odyssey and did it fit. It looks to me like it's too long and too wide. I have a 2015 450h and the original battery is on its last legs. Lexus wants to charge me $500 for a new one plus $85 to install.
Old 03-01-22, 01:23 PM
mcicvara
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CanJim
I know it's been a while but did you buy the Odyssey and did it fit. It looks to me like it's too long and too wide. I have a 2015 450h and the original battery is on its last legs. Lexus wants to charge me $500 for a new one plus $85 to install.
No, I've recharged the old battery and it works fine.
Old 03-01-22, 05:11 PM
CanJim
Driver School Candidate

Well done, thanks
Old 05-24-22, 06:59 PM
Mmagic76
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I figured I’d contribute towards this since I’ve been reading about how hard it was to find something similarly sized other than OEM. I’m glad to say that I was able to find the Group 35 Energizer AGM from Costco Canada fit perfectly with no need for modifications except for the vent tube and plug. I am going to order the BMW elbow (61211377835) and VW plug (000915506) to see if those will fit this battery. Other than that, no issues with the install as I had it hooked up to my Noco to retain battery voltage as I was swapping it over.

Length of the battery

Width of the battery

Height of the battery

Fits perfectly in the OEM tray

All terminals line up and the battery tie down fits without modification.

Last edited by Mmagic76; 05-25-22 at 08:18 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mmagic76:
Droid13 (05-25-22), roy7777 (05-24-22), ThreeCW (06-19-22)
Old 05-26-22, 03:46 PM
Mmagic76
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Update, received VW plug and BMW elbow, both fit perfectly for the Energizer Group 35 battery from Costco.

$4.19 + tax CDN.

$0.80 + tax CDN.

Lexus OEM elbow top, BMW elbow below.

I used the existing OEM rubber hose.

Plug fits perfectly.

Last edited by Mmagic76; 05-26-22 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Wording
The following 2 users liked this post by Mmagic76:
RX450HJeff (04-08-24), zmel (05-27-22)
Old 11-03-22, 01:17 PM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I also purchased the Costco Energizer AGM for my slowly failing Panasonic. Ordered online for $239 with free delivery.
It had a 6/22 sticker date on it so I did some measurements to see how was it’s health. Definitely a good battery but I put it on the Noco charger just to bring up the base voltage charge on it before installing, stay tuned.

Old 11-03-22, 01:23 PM
KevMaster
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing I've found that works is occasionally putting it on a trickle charger. I'm still on the original battery from 2016.
The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (11-03-22)
Old 11-03-22, 08:39 PM
CanJim
Driver School Candidate

Does it fit okay? Is it vented to the outside with the original fitting?

I'd love to hear how it works out. Mine is a 2015 which Ikeep alive with a solar charger attached to the data port. I still need to boost it in the winter. I gues snow on the windshield and the general gloom of winter blocks the sun to the charger.
Old 11-04-22, 02:58 PM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CanJim
Does it fit okay? Is it vented to the outside with the original fitting?

I'd love to hear how it works out. Mine is a 2015 which Ikeep alive with a solar charger attached to the data port. I still need to boost it in the winter. I gues snow on the windshield and the general gloom of winter blocks the sun to the charger.
Yes, it’s a good fit, just a tiny bit taller than the Panasonic, but still fits the bottom tray and the clamp fits over it just fine, I just couldn’t tighten the one nut all the way down (the nut on the front end side of the battery clamp).
The energizer has a nice built in carry handle that I was gonna leave on but it interfered with the trunk cover, so I just removed one end of the handle and tucked it along side, and everything fits nice.

The original vent adapter is way too large for the Energizer, I was thinking of just grinding it down to fit but it’s a no go. Ordered a smaller Dorman from Amazon, I’ll know soon, was planning to just tape over the other side(to plug the vent) if I can’t find something in my tool boxes that will fit.

The Panasonic is still testing good, but it’s not “Perfect” like the new energizer.

The old Panasonic

The new Energizer from Costco.

Last edited by Roscol; 11-04-22 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-04-22, 09:43 PM
ThreeCW
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Roscol
It had a 6/22 sticker date on it so I did some measurements to see how was it’s health. Definitely a good battery but I put it on the Noco charger just to bring up the base voltage charge on it before installing, stay tuned.

I would be disappointed receiving any new battery with a SOC (State of Charge) below 80% ... and optimally it should be 90% or higher when you receive it. With a SOC of 67%, I suspect that some sulfation would have occurred in that battery.

That is an interesting battery tester that you are using. What is the make and model of your tester?
Old 11-04-22, 10:26 PM
ThreeCW
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Roscol
The original vent adapter is way too large for the Energizer, I was thinking of just grinding it down to fit but it’s a no go. Ordered a smaller Dorman from Amazon, I’ll know soon, was planning to just tape over the other side(to plug the vent) if I can’t find something in my tool boxes that will fit.

The Panasonic is still testing good, but it’s not “Perfect” like the new energizer.
When I installed a new Motomaster Eliminator AGM Group 35 in my 2014 RX450H, I plugged the back side vent with silicon caulking. On the open vent, I made my own adapter with a small section of plastic tubing and more silicon caulking. Not pretty but is it what I had available at the time and I believe it is well sealed.

With respect to differences in the internal resistances, I believe you are comparing two different battery technologies. If your Panasonic battery is a Model D23 like mine was, that is a sealed lead acid battery. Slosh it back and forth and you should hear liquid moving around. Your new Engergizer is an AGM battery ... no free liquid to move around (it is Absorbed in the Glass Mat ... hence AGM) and perhaps not surprisingly would have a difference internal resistance.

The back side battery vent has been plugged with silicon caulking.

This is the active battery vent made from a short section of plastic tubing with silicon caulking added as an additional securement measure.

This is the tubing that I used that fit my Motomaster Eliminator AGM Group 35 Battery.
Old 11-05-22, 06:51 AM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ThreeCW
I would be disappointed receiving any new battery with a SOC (State of Charge) below 80% ... and optimally it should be 90% or higher when you receive it. With a SOC of 67%, I suspect that some sulfation would have occurred in that battery.

That is an interesting battery tester that you are using. What is the make and model of your tester?

SOC after recharging on the Noco battery charger, then letting the battery sit unattached overnight showed the following results,

Condidering the IR value of 3.1 milliohms, not sure how much sulphation would of occurred in the several months it sat in the warehouse.
Costco also has its 5 year warranty.

The battery tester was a Amazon purchase, made in China, brand of Huiaipaic, model FBT200
Old 11-05-22, 07:45 AM
Roscol
Pit Crew

quote-“With respect to differences in the internal resistances, I believe you are comparing two different battery technologies. If your Panasonic battery is a Model D23 like mine was, that is a sealed lead acid battery. Slosh it back and forth and you should hear liquid moving around.”

You’re absolutely correct, appears that the OEM Panasonic is not an AGM, although the impression from many on the forum was that it was AGM.
Makes it even more curious on the reason for the exorbitant price from the dealer?

Anyways, I trickle charged overnight, re did the battery test using regular battery parameters and the results seem to show a still perfect battery?

Now I’m worried that my couple of “no ready light, dashboard flickering episode” might be something else? This Panasonic was only 4 years old.
Guess I have a still useable backup battery I can keep on hand.
Old 11-06-22, 09:09 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Still don’t understand why so many people on here continue to experiment with aftermarket batteries when the factory battery can be purchased for around the same cost. I believe I paid $260-280 for it via the Lexus online store a few years ago. Spend some time shopping around before going with something else. Also as far as I know, the Panasonic is AGM
Old 11-06-22, 10:27 AM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Hayk
Still don’t understand why so many people on here continue to experiment with aftermarket batteries when the factory battery can be purchased for around the same cost. I believe I paid $260-280 for it via the Lexus online store a few years ago. Spend some time shopping around before going with something else. Also as far as I know, the Panasonic is AGM
You will notice most of the latest post are by Canadians, since the fabled $260 OEM doesn’t exist up here.
Aftermarket saved me $300 over dealer OEM, that goes a long way in buying us our beer and back bacon.

My Panasonic sloshes liquid inside , so I guess we might need some debate on the actual makeup of these OEM batteries.
The following users liked this post:
Hayk (11-06-22)

Quick Reply: Replacement 12v battery for Lexus RX450h