Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Replacement 12v battery for Lexus RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-23, 09:55 AM
rdy4flt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v battery for my 2010 Rx450h

Hey all,
I've searched for the last hour or so in the forums and can't find a clear answer. So, my 12v battery has a bad cell and needs to be replaced. I'm reading for the hybrid RXs we don't need to use the OEM battery so long as it's an AGM battery and vented, is that right? Also, I saw some where that the battery needs to be coded to the vehicle otherwise will not work??? Is that only for the OEM Panasonic battery? Just trying to get my battery replaced, why is it so hard..lol. I appreciate any advice even if it's linking me to something I can read, I just haven't been able to find the through searching.

Thank in advance

Rudi
Old 03-25-23, 10:01 AM
zmel
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

There are many choices available if you read through this thread. You are correct about no need for OEM battery, and it is AGM (Group Size 35 AGM), and vented

Last edited by zmel; 03-25-23 at 10:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rdy4flt (03-25-23)
Old 04-04-23, 07:06 AM
napovo
5th Gear

Default 2010 RX450H 12v battery?

Dear all,
My RX2010 is about 200k km and still running well in Canada.
in Jan, we left the car outside for 1 month trip. When we come back, it started good but there were a warning : Check break system.
i run for a day and the the warning disappeared.
One month ago, during a long drive 200km, there was warning : check PCS system, then check Hybrid system. The car was still running normal.
i opened the 12v battery, it is the original Panasonic, there was a little of water at the bottom of the battery compartment. I removed the battery and drain the water and replug the battery. The car run good no warning for 2 weeks then the Check PCS and check Hybrid system come back again

- why there are water at the bottom of the battery compartment? There are 2 rubber drains why does Lexus keep them closed and hold the water there?
- do you think I just need to replace the 12v battery? Do I need to pour a little of water under the battery?
- any other suggestions please.
thank you very much
Old 04-04-23, 07:17 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

The 12v battery can be tested and replaced if needed. Lot more discussion on the 12v battery in the Hybrid sub forum of the 3rd gen.

All vehicles have plugs that can be removed to drain ithe low spot when needed. They are not left open as the water/insects can intrude from there. The 12v battery has a vent tube [unless it twas removed or got dislodged ... more discussion on that iwhen you decide to replace the battery with a non standard battery].

Typically the water collecting in there has worked its way from outside due to drain channel blockage dislodged hose. Investigation is needed and some research on your part.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
napovo (04-04-23)
Old 04-25-23, 02:32 PM
xsd73
3rd Gear

Hi there, we have a 2013 Lexus RX450H. We had left car unused for a month this winter, afterwards when started it, battery showed up low then I had to use a jump start (under front hood) option and car was good. Last week, car was parked in front of garage and we started to hear low tapping noise (https://ufile.io/c2gicaar) inside front hood. I was unable to use key-less entry to open any door!

I suspect (12v) battery gone bad, note I have not changed battery since original purchase. Any thought?

Please suggest battery available in open market now, other than from Lexus parts (costing $300 base price for Japanese VIN#).

Last edited by xsd73; 04-25-23 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-25-23, 07:32 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by xsd73
Hi there, we have a 2013 Lexus RX450H. We had left car unused for a month this winter, afterwards when started it, battery showed up low then I had to use a jump start (under front hood) option and car was good. Last week, car was parked in front of garage and we started to hear low tapping noise (https://ufile.io/c2gicaar) inside front hood. I was unable to use key-less entry to open any door!

I suspect (12v) battery gone bad, note I have not changed battery since original purchase. Any thought?

Please suggest battery available in open market now, other than from Lexus parts (costing $300 base price for Japanese VIN#).
There are more than 250 posts in this thread and if that is not enough info?

Although your judgement call seems correct, but you can have the 12v battery tested at any car part store.

Salim
Old 04-26-23, 03:05 AM
xsd73
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
There are more than 250 posts in this thread and if that is not enough info?

Although your judgement call seems correct, but you can have the 12v battery tested at any car part store.

Salim
Thanks Salim. I did go thru some of earlier posts, but few battery related posted are from Canada, and some stores (like AutoZone, PepBoys) no longer sell battery brand stated there hence asked again.
Old 04-26-23, 08:58 AM
salimshah

Thanks Salim. I did go thru some of earlier posts, but few battery related posted are from Canada, and some stores (like AutoZone, PepBoys) no longer sell battery brand stated there hence asked again.
When it comes to hybrid battery the CCA is just a relative number for capacity. 12v is standard. Size is a fitment issue and position of terminals need to be ensured. Venting is another.
The next issue is AGM or gel or lead-acid
The cost differential is in AGM.
You can choose to ignore the type and end up saving a lot.
The battery in hybrid has a long life and when you break it down to cost per month, I would say the price difference is a wash.
I purchased mine from Toyota instead of Lexus and saved lunch money.

Salim
Old 04-26-23, 10:37 AM
xsd73
3rd Gear

Got it, thanks Salim for additional info.

I have reattempted to jump start thru fuse box, up on battery connect from another car, loud honk noise coming so I had given up that choice.

Last edited by xsd73; 04-26-23 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-27-23, 08:50 AM
salimshah

Got it, thanks Salim for additional info.

I have reattempted to jump start thru fuse box, up on battery connect from another car, loud honk noise coming so I had given up that choice.
The boost is technically to get the voltage up to 12v as there is no starter that runs of the 12v battery in the hybrid.
You can try again and leave the jump cables in there for a while. The monster cable clamps would not work in the front ... you can boost through the trunk too. The point of caution is that you connect the terminals right + to + and - to -.

Now if the installed battery has a shorted cell or two, the boost may not be able to overcome. So keep an eye on the amount of sparking (current draw).
Once your 12v falls low to 8-9v expect ECU + alarm to act up, but they should all quiet down once the voltage reached 11v.

Your next issue would be the traction battery. Your vehicle needs to be run once a week to keep the traction battery health to start the vehicle. Long inactivity can droop the traction battery low to level that you vehicle would not start and would not be able to charge the traction battery.

Remember the 12v battery is to run the electronics. You can disable auto lights etc to reduce drain on the 12v battery. 12v -> ECU. Traction -> run + start.

Salim
Old 09-12-23, 06:51 PM
gsu13
5th Gear

Default OEM battery from Toyota instead

Just wanted to say thanks to this thread and share that I decide to go with an OEM battery but bought it through Toyota instead of Lexus. The part # was the same from my 2011 Lexus RX450h 28800-31291 and the Toyota Parts website allows you to shop different local dealers (this cannot be shipped) so one was offering this for $245.50 taxes included. FYI, for those in the DC area, this was Passport Toyota. They did not have a core charge nor asked that my battery be returned, but they did take it for recycling/disposal. Took 10 min to change out and didn't seem to lose any settings
Old 10-20-23, 05:17 PM
JJAT
2nd gear

Hey gsu13, I really tried to use your simple guide to getting a battery for my 2013 RX450h here in Atlanta. That part number gets me nowhere. I started by typing in "Toyota Parts website" to get the national website but the part number doesn't come up there. You make it sound so easy. Lexus wants $483. for the battery plus tax so if you could help me with the sequence of events you used to get a Lexus part at Toyota that would be great. I even tried the part number at Passport Toyota. I'm originally from DC area.
Thanks Jim
Old 10-23-23, 07:16 AM
gsu13
5th Gear

Sorry to hear that - it really was that easy at the end of August 2023, placed the order online and they had me call back to verbally confirm I was aware they could not verify it was compatible with Lexus, but it was in stock. Picked up and changed it while in their parking lot after verifying it looked the same and swapping the vent hose. I just called Passport Toyota and Parts dept says it is in their system as a real part # 28800-31291 but out-of-stock. They are not sure why it is not showing up on the website (he tried it while I was on the phone). There is an updated number 28800-31292, but also not sure why that isn't showing up on their website and he said it can only be ordered and paid for in-store, not online or over the phone - 1 day to arrive. So they don't know why its not on the website anymore but he said they do use an Interstate as a replacement - 00544-21050-320, which is online. But I cannot vouch for the new part # or the Interstate. Good luck
Old 10-25-23, 10:22 AM
salimshah

Try

Battery - Toyota (28800-31292)

Please come back verify/correct.

Thanks

Salim
Old 12-16-23, 01:40 PM
Yancy6624
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NOCO Boost Pack

Originally Posted by kevinlieb
Thanks for the feedback!

Well somehow my wife drained the battery to the point the car would not start yesterday. This is the second or third time this has happened. It is probably the original battery from the factory so after 3+ years due for a change anyway. She was running the car in acc mode for 20+ minutes. I think the yellow top Optima is like $200 and the stock battery from Lexus is significantly more but I am going to double check with my local dealer.

I have a Rx400 and I always have a boost pack with me charged up just in case. Usually get them for under a 100$, I haven’t had to use it for my vehicle yet but have used on fellow employees or family.

Quick Reply: Replacement 12v battery for Lexus RX450h