Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

What is your ES300h MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 08:37 PM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your ES300h MPG?

When the frigid cold was around (~5-15 degrees Fahrenheit), I was getting about 39mpg. Now that it has warmed up to 50 degrees, I'm getting about 42-43mpg, with 85% highway miles. I try to hypermile as much as possible...but I do not draft.

When I was driving around in local traffic, I was getting about 49mpg.

My tires are around 35psi, which was the pressure set by the dealer (the car has about 1400 miles).

What mpg have you been getting?

PS With 1397 miles, I did my second fill up (and probably wont need gas until I hit 2100 miles). The first tank was on the dealer. The second tank got me to about 700 miles. Simply awesome! With my older car (2010 Prius), I thought 500 miles was amazing...this is just beyond all expectation.
Old 04-03-15, 08:49 PM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for disclosure...something weird about my numbers. My Odo shows 1397, but I've only filled up once. My MPG indicator showed between 39 and 40mpg, but I recall only filling up about 14 gallons this last time. The prior fill-up was about 16 gallons. Very odd...
Old 04-03-15, 09:43 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

wow man the numbers that you are talking are incredible. 49 mpg ? Are you moving real slow off the line ?

im currently on my 2nd fill up, the first one got me 35.2 and this 2nd tank is indicating 36.3 mpg. Im still learning how to drive the hybrids i guess, im no where near your numbers. But i dont drive in ECO, im either in Normal or Sport, and i like to get moving quick then coast once i reach the speed limit. I can probably do 38-39 if i really try but i dont want to **** off other drivers. Im happy with a stable 36-37 mpg while maintaining a rapid pace comfortably.
Old 04-04-15, 03:43 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I've gotten 3.8l/100km or 60+ mpg on a 100 km trip through rural foothill roads with max speeds of 80 km/h. Cruise control really helps by using regen on downhills and gently accelerating uphill. It always amazes me how low fuel consumption can drop if you're slow enough

Anyway I'm getting 42 mpg on my usual city commute with ambient temps at 20 C and tire pressures at 35 psi. That's using Eco mode and keeping up with traffic, although I coast for red lights.

Last edited by chromedome; 04-04-15 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Grammar. Bad.
Old 04-04-15, 05:12 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Our dash is currently reading 39.6 MPG and we are approaching a half tank. We were at nearly 42 but the dealer had it to have their contractor redo a big piece of the clear bra so they dropped it down to about 36 for us. Just one of the services they offer. We have been working to coax the tank average back up. We are also only on the second tank but we only got about 39 with the first tank, with the calculated mileage and the dash reading about .2 difference.

For the record, we also came from a 2010 Prius (and a 2006 Prius before that) so we are comfortable with the driving techniques to coax the best mileage from a hybrid, while ensuring our driving style is with the flow of surrounding traffic to avoid annoying surrounding drivers (admit it, we have all been behind some jerk in traffic that won't just drive normally because they are trying to squeeze another MPG from their hybrid). Our opinion is that we can afford the new ES so we can afford the gas, but we have fun seeing how far we can stretch a tank. Frankly, the mileage is only one of several reasons we like the hybrid better than the standard ES. The CVT transmission coupled with the hybrid drivetrain also results in a smoother ride.

Our dash reads 36 pounds of pressure in three of the tires and 37 in the fourth one. I haven't checked to see how accurate that readout is, but suffice it to say it came from the dealer slightly overinflated. We always drive in Eco mode (unless I am showing off for someone...).

The mileage you are getting is remarkable and certainly at the high end of its capability, even for the ES 300H. We are averaging right at the rated mileage so far in level city driving, but have seen as high as 50.4 on the gauge shortly after a fill up in warm weather, before the "normal" driving could bring the average back down. Your typical commute must meet the optimal driving conditions for the hybrid system. These are really remarkable cars, to achieve that kind of mileage with a car this size. We rarely got over 49 with our 2010 Prius, so when you consider the size, smoother ride and lower noise level, this car is worth every penny of the cost difference over the Prius (at least to us).

Oh, and on a final note, we have also noticed the fuel gauge reads lower than the actual fuel level. When it reads empty, it really has close to a quarter tank left. Some manufacturers do this as a precaution, but I also understand many new cars have the fuel pump in inside the tank and the fuel helps cool the pump.

Last edited by TechNut; 04-04-15 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-04-15, 06:24 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

This car really is one of a kind. It's cheaper and larger than a BMW 5, about as quiet and comfortable yet manages ridiculous mileage figures. I always get weird looks from gas station attendants who wonder how such a big car moves off without any engine noise.

I tried gaming the hybrid system using Prius techniques like warp stealth and pulse glide but I can't get them to work. Maybe Lexus Hybrid Drive is programmed more for smooth driving and performance instead of outright efficiency. I use cruise control as often as I can, I found that helps reduce fuel consumption from all the subconscious throttle feathering that I tend to do. Fuel consumption has also gone down with higher temperatures; the engine doesn't have to run idle for long to reach operating temp compared to winter conditions. With enough battery charge I can leave my house on battery power alone.
Old 04-04-15, 06:39 AM
Mhobizal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PirelliES
wow man the numbers that you are talking are incredible. 49 mpg ? Are you moving real slow off the line ?

im currently on my 2nd fill up, the first one got me 35.2 and this 2nd tank is indicating 36.3 mpg. Im still learning how to drive the hybrids i guess, im no where near your numbers. But i dont drive in ECO, im either in Normal or Sport, and i like to get moving quick then coast once i reach the speed limit. I can probably do 38-39 if i really try but i dont want to **** off other drivers. Im happy with a stable 36-37 mpg while maintaining a rapid pace comfortably.
@PirelliES, I am averaging 34 to 37 mpg. I have been also tracking my gas mileage in my aCar app. I have a 2014 ES300h with currently 16k miles.

My guess is that you and I have similar driving habits. I see a lot of folks that post these high mpg results and I bet they drive no faster than 60 mph.
Old 04-04-15, 07:17 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw a ES300H the other day in Ft Worth, had HEAVY deep dish staggered wheels. Looked like 285s in the rear, lol. Wheels were all scraped up.
Old 04-04-15, 07:33 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

I take offense with that statement about not going over 60. How can I when the speed limit in town is 40? We get high mileage by driving smoothly and reading traffic conditions ahead. Not listening to death metal while driving also helps, I save that for chilling with a cold beer at home

Anyway I usually get 40 mpg at 70 mph on highways with cruise control on. I don't bother going faster than that because fuel consumption shoots up by a lot and I'm not arriving at my destination much faster than usual. I don't hypermile like a snail at 55 mph either.
Old 04-04-15, 09:02 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

After 19,000 miles my 2013 ES300h averages 36 MPG calculated. A little worse, 34 - 35 in the winter and a little better in the summer, 37 - 38. I have tracked my mileage on fuelly since I bought the car new. There are a lot of hills where I live which hurts my MPG. I drive in ECO mode and coast to stops.

http://www.fuelly.com/dashboard
Old 04-04-15, 11:23 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

After 20,000 miles on my 2013 300h, I'm averaging about 37 mpg actual. Worst is 34; best is 40 mpg. Tires are at 34-35 psi. Car calc is always about 2 mpg higher than actual.
Old 04-04-15, 11:32 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Oh, and on a final note, we have also noticed the fuel gauge reads lower than the actual fuel level. When it reads empty, it really has close to a quarter tank left. Some manufacturers do this as a precaution, but I also understand many new cars have the fuel pump in inside the tank and the fuel helps cool the pump.
I think it's because of the both the fuel pump in the tank and because this hybrid can't start up normally if it runs out of gas. It needs to be towed to the dealer to be hooked up to their special starter.
Old 04-04-15, 11:59 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
I think it's because of the both the fuel pump in the tank and because this hybrid can't start up normally if it runs out of gas. It needs to be towed to the dealer to be hooked up to their special starter.
It's the same on the 350.
Old 04-04-15, 08:49 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Wow, I thought this was hybrid specific.
Old 04-04-15, 09:22 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Even refilling as indicated by the gauge, I can't complain as it goes about 500 miles on a tank.

Quick Reply: What is your ES300h MPG?