Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Check Hybrid System warning light - Lexus says nothing wrong

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-15, 01:44 AM
lovemy450h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Hybrid System warning light - Lexus says nothing wrong

Hi all,

First up - thanks to everyone on here, this forum was incredibly useful while researching buying my GS450h which I bought 2 months ago. I love it!

Anyway, on the drive home on Tuesday after dinner, a few blocks from the house, the energy flow arrows all go black and Check Hybrid System along with everyone other warning light comes on (check VSC, check ECB, etc).

We pull over and do the the old turn it on and off again. The car starts, warning lights still on and "check hybrid system", but we can drive and the energy flow arrows are working again.

We were away from home and 50miles from the nearest dealer, so we get it towed since the manual says not to drive it. I'd called Lexus earlier and they said you can drive it if you like, but the risk is on you in terms of complete power/brake/steering failure.

Lexus have it overnight and call me up saying "we checked everything, we can't find a problem". They reset the computer and can't replicate the problem.

I picked up the car today, feeling a bit nervous. I really wished they'd replaced the battery since it's still under warranty (1 year left), but they insist the traction batt is fine.

Anyway, the working theory is - it was low on fuel (fuel light had just come on prior). Going up the hill, the gas sloshed around and the engine stalled triggering all the warnings. Service guy said he's seen fuel related warnings like this happen on hybrid Camrys but never a Lexus.

Sounds possible...just thought I'd let everyone know in case someone's had a similar issue!

I have a list of all the error codes from the computer too if anyone's interested.
Old 04-13-15, 08:04 PM
Cwiok71
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many miles are on your car?

My check battery light (with the others) came on 3 times before the dealer replaced the traction battery.
Old 04-13-15, 11:50 PM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might as well post the codes you received.
Old 04-13-15, 11:56 PM
lovemy450h
Driver School Candidate

73,000 miles (116km) so still got a few under warranty. That's interesting they sent you away 3 times. How did they diagnose the battery issue? Lexus told me there was no battery error code thus it wasn't the traction battery. I asked if they did a health check on the battery, but they said that wasn't possible - in their eyes the batter is either broken or 100% OK.

I've attached the error codes too.

Check hybrid system plus other error codes
Old 04-14-15, 09:42 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I just bought by H a few days ago, so I haven't had a good chance to look in to how things are wired, but when you have communication errors like that, either the part that talks to all of the other pieces *generally the primary computer* is bad, there is a bad or poor connection somewhere, or, wires are broken internally.
Old 06-22-15, 05:20 AM
lovemy450h
Driver School Candidate

Argh! It happened again

On the way home on the highway doing about 80kmh (50mph), all the warning lights come on again.

Pull over to the curb a little way down as I notice the steering is going weird. The wheel is not turning at all by the time I stop.

Try restarting a few times, still warnings and no power steering - brakes OK although it says they are malfunctioning.

No power flowing through the arrows.

Book a tow truck and wait.

Get bored after a while and start again. Check hybrid system light is on, but all the others have gone away. I'm able to drive home just fine, although the light is on.

Going to call Lexus in the morning and ask them to come get the car and fix it properly this time. Really hoping it's the battery and not the ECU or something else!

This kinda kills the low fuel theory since it had a full tank this time.

P.S. 107,000km (67,000 miles)

Last edited by lovemy450h; 06-22-15 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Answer prev question
Old 06-24-15, 01:13 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemy450h
Argh! It happened again

On the way home on the highway doing about 80kmh (50mph), all the warning lights come on again.

Pull over to the curb a little way down as I notice the steering is going weird. The wheel is not turning at all by the time I stop.

Try restarting a few times, still warnings and no power steering - brakes OK although it says they are malfunctioning.

No power flowing through the arrows.

Book a tow truck and wait.

Get bored after a while and start again. Check hybrid system light is on, but all the others have gone away. I'm able to drive home just fine, although the light is on.

Going to call Lexus in the morning and ask them to come get the car and fix it properly this time. Really hoping it's the battery and not the ECU or something else!

This kinda kills the low fuel theory since it had a full tank this time.

P.S. 107,000km (67,000 miles)
oddly enough, i had the same situation before. never took it to the dealership though because an ECU reflash fixed my issue. it did have a low tank of gas which may have been a cause.

hope they finally fix that for you before the warranty is up
Old 06-30-16, 07:39 PM
Gs450hhelp
Driver School Candidate

Having the same issue. So frustrating because I'm supposed to trade it in tomorrow!! This happened before and I was told nothing was wrong. All cells good! I'm so confused. I've seen so many posts with smaller issues that are causing this error code, but I've actually had mine checked and it's false! What do I do? I've heard the thermostat sensor may be bad or it needs the Ecu reset. Help! Btw buying a es350 2013 this weekend, but I don't want them to lowball me on my trade because of this false reading!
Old 07-02-16, 02:58 PM
amdaxiom
Driver School Candidate

My 2008 GS450H with 100,350 miles just showed the Check Hybrid System Warning light too. Wonder what the repair bill will be. Technically I'm over 100K and over 8 years (car was bought late 2007). Wonder if Lexus will help defray any costs.

Last edited by amdaxiom; 07-05-16 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-02-16, 05:30 PM
Gs450hhelp
Driver School Candidate

No they won't assist if you're outside the warranty. I am also. It's so frustrating because I really take care of my car.
Old 07-05-16, 11:25 AM
bp924
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same problem! When it happened the first time I took it to the dealership and they said the regular 12 volt battery was bad and needed to be replaced. Once they replaced it they said everything with the hybrid system tested normal and it was fine. Less than a week later I'm on the highway going 60 mph and SAME THING happens again! Check Hybrid System light AND Check VSC System light comes on simultaneously! I'm going to bring it back to the dealership tomorrow but any clues from someone on here would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 07-05-16, 11:58 AM
amdaxiom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bp924
I'm having the same problem! When it happened the first time I took it to the dealership and they said the regular 12 volt battery was bad and needed to be replaced. Once they replaced it they said everything with the hybrid system tested normal and it was fine. Less than a week later I'm on the highway going 60 mph and SAME THING happens again! Check Hybrid System light AND Check VSC System light comes on simultaneously! I'm going to bring it back to the dealership tomorrow but any clues from someone on here would be greatly appreciated!!!
I'm changing out my 12V battery as we speak with Lexus. My hybrid battery is bad and Lexus says it'll be 7500 to replace but the 12V was low as well. As I am at 100,350 miles I asked them to see if Lexus Corporate would be willing to help pay for some of the repair cost or cover the battery. I also opened up a case with Lexus Corporate and should hear from a case manager by Thursday.

How many miles do you have bp924? Technically your hybrid battery is covered for 8 years / 100K miles so if you are under I wouldn't worry about it. They should cover you.
Old 07-06-16, 02:35 PM
Gs450hhelp
Driver School Candidate

Default Had to trade it in

I ended up trading my 2007 GS450h in on 7/4/16. Lexus corporate would not assist and I was only 2 months outside the warranty . I was also told it would be 6300 to repair. I ended up trading it in and purchased a 2013 ES350 and I absolutely love it. My advice would be to get rid of it. I am finding more and more people that have the same issue and the same make and model/year. I love Lexus and they have me for life, but I don't think I'll do a hybrid anytime soon.
Old 07-07-16, 05:22 PM
amdaxiom
Driver School Candidate

I'm actually out of warranty by 8 months. I guess I was lucky and I think my Newport Lexus service advisor helped me as well. I was able to get half the cost of the parts covered by Lexus Corporate. He made sure to tell me to tell Corporate to call him directly and speak to him and he would help me as much as he could and put in a good word for me. I think that's what helped get Corporate to cover half the parts cost. I've been dealing with him since I got the car but I haven't brought it in the past couple of years. Glad he still remembered me though.

All in all things worked out for me. Going to bring the car in on Monday to get the battery replaced. Total cost should be under $3500 is the old core is good.
Old 07-11-16, 11:44 AM
bp924
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by amdaxiom
I'm changing out my 12V battery as we speak with Lexus. My hybrid battery is bad and Lexus says it'll be 7500 to replace but the 12V was low as well. As I am at 100,350 miles I asked them to see if Lexus Corporate would be willing to help pay for some of the repair cost or cover the battery. I also opened up a case with Lexus Corporate and should hear from a case manager by Thursday.

How many miles do you have bp924? Technically your hybrid battery is covered for 8 years / 100K miles so if you are under I wouldn't worry about it. They should cover you.
I have 130K miles on it... I'm sure I'm out of warranty and they aren't going to help me!

Quick Reply: Check Hybrid System warning light - Lexus says nothing wrong