Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Buying a 2008 LS600hL

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 06:04 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
Translation: I don't want you to continue to pester me about the battery failing, so let me reassure you with something that's not guaranteed.
LOL!!! I'm sure you're right, and I really haven't been very impressed with the overall knowledge level of my local Lexus shop, so I did take this info with a grain of salt. I've heard so many different estimates for replacing the entire battery system (from $3K to $8K) that it's hard to know what the true cost would be if the batteries failed.

In the end, I revert back to the concept expressed by many here on the forum that there are so many Toyota/Lexus hybrids using this same battery technology, and there have been a very negligible number of actual failures, so it's probably not useful to fret on this issue.

I'm hoping to keep my car for 5 more years (until the Extended CPO warranty runs out). This plan will only work if I can stop looking at newer LS600hLs for sale on Autotrader...
Old 06-30-15, 08:35 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
I'm hoping to keep my car for 5 more years (until the Extended CPO warranty runs out). This plan will only work if I can stop looking at newer LS600hLs for sale on Autotrader...
I have the advantage of really disliking the spindle grill. That limits the potential # of years of newer ones I would entertain I just kicked over 50K so I've got awhile before I'm worried about anything major.
Old 07-15-15, 06:05 AM
Tonyboatin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 600hL

Well, I pulled the trigger on Sat. and bought the 600! I really love it so far. I thought the 460 was great, but this car is simply amazing. I love the radar cruise the most. Now I need to find a good warranty at a reasonable price. So far, Wanted and Rt66 seem to be good, but I think there are better ones out there. I guess I'll just keep researching. I also need to figure out how to put a receiver hitch on the car for carrying gear, not towing. So far Curt is the only ones who make a hitch for the LS, though for a '12 460 not a 600. I don't understand how they can make a hitch for only one year when the cars seem pretty similar. I was told that the bolt spacing is different. does anyone have any experience with this subject?
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Tony
610-715-3567 if you want to talk instead of typing.
Old 07-15-15, 06:38 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Gratz on the purchase. It's like anything you buy used, there is the chance of repairs. But hopefully, you'll drive a smooth straight line for years to come. Enjoy!
Old 07-15-15, 09:36 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyboatin
Well, I pulled the trigger on Sat. and bought the 600! I really love it so far. .
Congratulations Sir! Sounds like you have a great vehicle on your hands!
When you have a few moments, if you would mind starting a new thread and letting us all see the new car! Welcome to the LS family and congrats once again!
Old 07-15-15, 11:31 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

The hybrid battery will be the last of your concern when your suspension begin to crumble, and if no shocks/control arms were redone yet it will sooner than later. I beleive that some peoples probably don't even know when their shocks / control arms are worn if they never drove a new ls. I do hope you took a good test drive on yours. Great car overall, but I must admit high risk of ownership especially out of warranty. Even the slightest malfunction cost an arm and legs to repair. And personally, I didn't bought that car to replace the shock with alibaba cheap knockoff at 200$ a corner. Original shocks are over a thousand at lexus not including labor and you also need new actuators to replace them with the newer revision. You might be able to bootleg your way out of your control arm issues but most of the part you'll need to pay toyota price. There are documented cases of battery failing on those cars, they might be uncommon but it does happen and not necessary if the first years of the car. Great car like said earlier but not bulletproof, no matter what you are being told. The advantage of reliability only make sense if you actually save money in the end. A 3 series that been 5 times in the garage but overall only cost 5k to repair vs a ls600hl that been in the shop only once for a few control arms plus a pair of shocks with a bill over 8k... That put perceived reliability in perspective. Not hating on the car and still love mine, but although being a Toyota it's much more finicky than your average four banger that's for sure. At that mileage, it won't take much of repairs to render your car financially obsolete. I plan to keep mine even if some repair outshine it's value just because I don't care for the latest and greatest, but that's not rational. Again congratulation on your purchase, hope you have some good times with it. I know I do.

Last edited by Vansibel; 07-15-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-15-16, 01:51 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
That's no help to you when the battery goes bad and it's still not around. Essentially he was simply blowing you off with some hopeful future that doesn't currently exist and with no evidence of it actually occurring. You should ask the dealer for his source or find a different dealership.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's impossible. People have done DIY individual cell swaps, however it's not something that currently exists for Toyota nor is it something that Toyota has actually even hinted at. Even a google search reveals nothing of the sort and something like this would already be on the internet if it were true. So if your battery fails, you're looking at a full battery replacement cost when your warranty is up.

It's not difficult to test individual cells, you can read more here:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ot-4000-to-fix
I bought my 2008 LS600h L new and am worried about the hybrid battery with 55K miles on the dash now. I notice a lot of your posts on the LS600 threads. Do you own one or have one? Are you speaking from experience? Thanks.
Old 12-15-16, 06:49 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by USLEX
I bought my 2008 LS600h L new and am worried about the hybrid battery with 55K miles on the dash now. I notice a lot of your posts on the LS600 threads. Do you own one or have one? Are you speaking from experience? Thanks.
So you spent $100K+ for your new car in 2008, have enjoyed it for the past 8 years (I assume), and are now worried about the relatively low chance that you'll have to spend $5k to completely replace the battery pack to (in theory) enjoy another 8 years of luxury bliss? I don't want to downplay the possibility of a battery failure (it happened to one of our great forum members, CJITTY, a year or two ago), but unless your financial situation has changed drastically since you dropped the big bucks to buy the car new in '08, the risk of having to replace the batteries should be a pretty small blip on your radar.

For those who own the early LS600's, the Lexus Part number for the replacement battery pack is G9510-50011, and the on-line price has dropped to just a bit under $4k at some of the authorized Lexus OEM parts sellers. I think the price will continue to drop. I'm not sure how many hours of labor is involved with changing out the battery pack, but I wouldn't think it would be all that many. My Indy shop says they have changed out hybrid battery packs on many other Toyota vehicles, and wouldn't have a problem changing my battery pack if it ever fails...
Old 12-15-16, 12:07 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

So you spent $100K+ for your new car in 2008, have enjoyed it for the past 8 years (I assume), and are now worried about the relatively low chance that you'll have to spend $5k to completely replace the battery pack to (in theory) enjoy another 8 years of luxury bliss? I don't want to downplay the possibility of a battery failure (it happened to one of our great forum members, CJITTY, a year or two ago), but unless your financial situation has changed drastically since you dropped the big bucks to buy the car new in '08, the risk of having to replace the batteries should be a pretty small blip on your radar.

For those who own the early LS600's, the Lexus Part number for the replacement battery pack is G9510-50011, and the on-line price has dropped to just a bit under $4k at some of the authorized Lexus OEM parts sellers. I think the price will continue to drop. I'm not sure how many hours of labor is involved with changing out the battery pack, but I wouldn't think it would be all that many. My Indy shop says they have changed out hybrid battery packs on many other Toyota vehicles, and wouldn't have a problem changing my battery pack if it ever fails...
Not sure why there is aggression in your post. I said I was worried. I didn't say I was going to commit suicide if the battery died. Yes, I dropped big bucks for a new LS600 but that doesn't mean $4K is insignificant to me. I teach my kids to be careful with their money and I try to practice what I preach. So no, $4K is not a small blip on my radar. Anything over $500 in maintenance is a blip on my radar. Yes I love my LS600 and hope to enjoy many more years. Although I didn't ask for it, thank you for the part number.

Last edited by USLEX; 12-15-16 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-15-16, 12:15 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Not sure why their is aggression in your post. I said I was worried. I didn't say I was going to commit suicide if the battery died. Yes I dropped big bucks for a new LS600 but that doesn't mean $4K is insignificant to me. I teach my kids to be careful with their money and I try to practice what I preach. So no, $4K is not a small blip on my radar. Anything over $500 in maintenance is a blip on my radar. Yes I love my LS600 and hope to enjoy many more years. Although I didn't ask for it, thank you for the part number.
My apologies for any aggression found in my earlier post! It's just that I've seen quite a few posts over the past year bashing the LS600 for the slim chance that the batteries may fail one day, and have seen the value of the early LS600hLs drop like a rock, in part due to this perceived risk, which in my mind is way overblown. A person will almost certainly spend more over the LS600hL's lifetime replacing tires and brakes than they will replacing batteries, and most people just accept the fact that tires and brakes wear out and require repeated replacement.

The main point I was trying to get across was that, in the grand scheme of things, the cost of replacing the batteries in the LS600s is not that significant, and shouldn't deter a person from buying one.

Again, my apologies if I came on too strong on this issue!
Old 12-15-16, 12:23 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Wink

My apologies for any aggression found in my earlier post! It's just that I've seen quite a few posts over the past year bashing the LS600 for the slim chance that the batteries may fail one day, and have seen the value of the early LS600hLs drop like a rock, in part due to this perceived risk, which in my mind is way overblown. A person will almost certainly spend more over the LS600hL's lifetime replacing tires and brakes than they will replacing batteries, and most people just accept the fact that tires and brakes wear out and require repeated replacement.

The main point I was trying to get across was that, in the grand scheme of things, the cost of replacing the batteries in the LS600s is not that significant, and shouldn't deter a person from buying one.

Again, my apologies if I came on too strong on this issue!
Apology accepted. Humble of you to do so and no worries. I absolutely love my LS600 and would recommend it to anyone. For peace of mind when I dropped all that money, I later bought the 8/100 Lexus warranty too. Ironically, within one week of the expiration, my rear-end (not my ***) started making a rumbling noise so I had to pay for the transfer case flush. Insult to injury, on the drive home after picking it up, my ML amp went out. Sigh... now have to deal with that. Still love the LS600 though! But I am not pleased with Lexus Corporate customer service. They are less accommodating as they used to be.
Old 12-15-16, 02:01 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Apology accepted. Humble of you to do so and no worries. I absolutely love my LS600 and would recommend it to anyone. For peace of mind when I dropped all that money, I later bought the 8/100 Lexus warranty too. Ironically, within one week of the expiration, my rear-end (not my ***) started making a rumbling noise so I had to pay for the transfer case flush. Insult to injury, on the drive home after picking it up, my ML amp went out. Sigh... now have to deal with that. Still love the LS600 though! But I am not pleased with Lexus Corporate customer service. They are less accommodating as they used to be.
Unfortunately, from reading about a good few forum members interactions with Lexus Corporate over the last year or so, this seems to be the echoing statement, and is also slowly becoming a deterring variable as to why some customers may begin to shy away from the Lexus brand and begin to spend their dollars on an automaker who will do what they can to keep their customer base content.
Its simply good business.
Old 12-15-16, 03:59 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Unfortunately, from reading about a good few forum members interactions with Lexus Corporate over the last year or so, this seems to be the echoing statement, and is also slowly becoming a deterring variable as to why some customers may begin to shy away from the Lexus brand and begin to spend their dollars on an automaker who will do what they can to keep their customer base content.
Its simply good business.
I am not wanting or needing another vehicle but I am thinking about giving my LS600 to my oldest son when he is of driving age. I may look at the Genesis G90. I saw it in person but did not drive it. The materials look top notch. Will have to research it for giggles.
Old 12-16-16, 08:32 AM
riknchar
Instructor

USLEX, I don't blame you for being highly disappointed in Corporate Lexus right now! It seems to me a "no-brainer" that a company like Lexus would work with you on both of your issues, given your long history with the company and their (previously) stellar reputation for outstanding customer service.

I bought my 2008 LS600hL as a CPO in June of 2014, and soon after heard the same rumbling from my transfer case during low-speed parking lot sharp turns. I found the related TSP on this issue and took my car back to my local Lexus dealer. They informed me that this TSP only applied during the original powertrain warranty (which for my car was long expired). However, they contacted Lexus Corporate and got the okay to approve the repair (transfer fluid flush/replacement) at no cost to me. I'm actually surprised it only cost $260 for the work in your case -- there have been stories of this mysterious "miracle" transfer fluid costing much more, and having to be changed 3 times to complete the TSP.

I bought the 3-year/125K mile extended CPO coverage on my LS, so I'm covered until 2020 (except for the batteries). I plan to keep the car until the warranty expires, and then trade in for a newer-generation LS (possibly a 2013-2016 LS600hL, if there are any to be found at that time). I really appreciate owning the ultimate Lexus flagship, and it would be tough to drive anything else after being spoiled by this one...
Old 12-16-16, 10:23 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I am not wanting or needing another vehicle but I am thinking about giving my LS600 to my oldest son when he is of driving age. I may look at the Genesis G90. I saw it in person but did not drive it. The materials look top notch. Will have to research it for giggles.
Well, that'd be one hell of a first vehicle to have as a young man! You're an awesome Dad!!
I was going to make specific mention of the G90 in my previous entry when I spoke about people may begin to spend their dollars with other auto makers...
Im sure you've seen it, but in the event you haven't, there is a great thread discussing the G90 here in this 4th Gen area of the forum as well as in the Car Chat section of the forum. Great information in both places.
A few members have touted it as being just as nice of a driving experience (an $80k driving experience for $60k) with more tech and equally high end materials as the LS.
Some of the variables of interest for consumers which are things that have yet to be discovered, and can only be revealed over time, is short and long term resale value and of course, long term reliability.
Otherwise, from what I've read, a solid car that's loaded with features at a great price point and fantastic warranty.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2008 LS600hL