Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Regenerative Braking

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 09:50 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 576 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
That's why I credit the Lexus regenerative braking system as being the root cause of my "cold grab" condition -- it's the only "new and unique" variable in my equation.
100% yes.

Both my Camry Hybrid and RX450h have the exact same symptoms. It is hybrid specific because when coming to a fairly normal/gradual stop regen is responsible for a majority of the braking, but as speed falls below ~5mph the system transitions to 100% mechanical braking, and this is the point at which the grab feeling occurs. After one or two initial grabs, it goes away. I'm not sure if its moisture, temperature, or perhaps even some system calibration on the fly, but I've personally considered it to be moisture, because I've felt similar grabs in other vehicles after a car wash or deep puddles.
Old 08-21-17, 11:18 AM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
100% yes.

Both my Camry Hybrid and RX450h have the exact same symptoms. It is hybrid specific because when coming to a fairly normal/gradual stop regen is responsible for a majority of the braking, but as speed falls below ~5mph the system transitions to 100% mechanical braking, and this is the point at which the grab feeling occurs. After one or two initial grabs, it goes away. I'm not sure if its moisture, temperature, or perhaps even some system calibration on the fly, but I've personally considered it to be moisture, because I've felt similar grabs in other vehicles after a car wash or deep puddles.
Andy if you put issue in that perspective then the behavior is normal as the pads touch the disc only once we get below 5mph (per your description). So surface rust/oxidization it is.

Salim
Old 08-21-17, 08:11 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

HSD is set up so that 80% of braking force is supplied by regenerative and if IT IS NOT ENOUGH to satisfy the demand for stopping, then hydraulic system is initiated. There is no difference in hydraulic system vs conventional vehicle. Unless it's an older car and does not have brake by wire feature. So brake pads can touch rotor at ANY speed based on parameters required. You will not have regen charging at low speeds though. That's why at low speed it is strictly hydraulic braking and feel different from higher speeds braking.
Don't complicate this. It is very simple. You have constantly spun MG as it is permanently coupled with drive axle. So as far as wheel rotates, MG rotates. Then you have sun gear connected to the ICE. ICE works as a stationary weight due to mass of pistons, crankshaft, etc, and force of friction. This causes ICE to act as stator and MG as rotor in generator. Electric cohesion between moving and stationary (relatively) masses creates braking force refereed to as regenerative braking. It is very simply engine braking using magnetic force.
Look at any generator. It has to be run by a motor to generate electricity, right? Rolling tires are acting as that motor in regen braking.
Old 11-14-17, 04:15 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

ICE is connected to the Planetary Carrier. MG1 is connected to the Sun Gear.
Old 11-15-17, 06:22 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts