Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Lexus PCS safety recall certain 2013-2015 ES 350 and ES300h

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-16, 05:17 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunka
It's been THREE MONTHS since Lexus disabled our PCS and we have still not heard a word. Anyone else heard from them with the final determination on how they are going to address this?
Agreed. I might call my service dept this week to see whats up.
Old 02-16-16, 01:36 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the Lexus recall telephone number. The customer service lady was nice but had ZERO information.

CS: We see that you have responded to the recall and had the initial service performed.
Me: Yes, the local dealership disabled the PCS a little over THREE months ago back in November. Do you have any additional information on when they expect to have a resolution?
She: No sir. We only know that they are "working on it" and they will let you know when a fix is ready.
Me: Any idea if that might be 3 weeks, 3 months or 3 years? (light laugh)
She (laughing): It won't be three YEARS sir.
Me (semi-laughing): Is there a government regulation of when Lexus needs to address the issue within a specific time frame.
She (now serious): I don't have that information Sir.
Me: Hmmmm, it would seem that there should be some type of regulation that car manufacturer's would have to comply with.
She: Sorry sir. I don't have any such information.
Me: OK, thanks for trying.

Me (Now): If it's taking THIS long (over 3 months) then this may be a BIG recall in terms of costs for Lexus (e.g. puling out the existing system to replace it with whatever PCS system they are putting in the newest cars that are being sold TODAY). Argh!

Last edited by bunka; 02-16-16 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 06:40 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Just spoke to my service dept and they said to expect something within the next 1 to 2 months, but they couldnt cite anything that backs that up (I asked what they know about the fix and the answer was "nothing yet" so it sounds like they are just throwing random time numbers out)

I also learned that Im not only "on the list to be notified", I *AM* the list to be notified. 1 of 1. Makes me feel special.
Old 02-17-16, 08:54 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chrisexv6
Just spoke to my service dept and they said to expect something within the next 1 to 2 months, but they couldnt cite anything that backs that up (I asked what they know about the fix and the answer was "nothing yet" so it sounds like they are just throwing random time numbers out)

I also learned that Im not only "on the list to be notified", I *AM* the list to be notified. 1 of 1. Makes me feel special.
Thanks for the feedback. Yep, it's hard to find influence when the stick we carry is so small (handful of PCS owners). Not certain how many are at our dealership but the local dealer had to horse trade to get this one from a dealership in a different state so we could also be solo here as well so that could explain the lack of prompt action on their part.
Old 02-17-16, 10:07 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Yep, it's hard to find influence when the stick we carry is so small (handful of PCS owners). Not certain how many are at our dealership but the local dealer had to horse trade to get this one from a dealership in a different state so we could also be solo here as well so that could explain the lack of prompt action on their part.
I believe there are about 6,000 Lexus vehicles and the Toyota Avalon with about 24,000 vehicles with PCS involved with the recall.
Old 02-17-16, 01:01 PM
chrisexv6
Driver

Yeah our car was the result of a trade with an out of state dealer as well. Seems that a completely fully loaded ES is just not a popular vehicle to sell.
Old 02-27-16, 06:39 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Certainly there HAS to be "some" type of time limit on resolving this, doesn't there? Even cars that are deemed "lemons" get quicker attention.
Old 03-25-16, 12:02 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The difference between PCS & APCS (according to Lexus).

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...exus-Collision

Having read that some "speculate or believe or think or hope or wish" that Lexus might upgrade the recalled PCS owners' cars with the Advanced version (APCS), it would seem that the changes (electronic, electrical and hardware replacement) that would have to be made to do so would be very time and money intensive for what amounts to a relatively small amount of cars that own the Ultra edition. It would be nice, but I doubt that Lexus would do this.
Old 03-25-16, 05:35 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Originally Posted by Johnny

Having read that some "speculate or believe or think or hope or wish" that Lexus might upgrade the recalled PCS owners' cars with the Advanced version (APCS), it would seem that the changes (electronic, electrical and hardware replacement) that would have to be made to do so would be very time and money intensive for what amounts to a relatively small amount of cars that own the Ultra edition. It would be nice, but I doubt that Lexus would do this.
Actually there is an updated version of the standard PCS system in the 2016 ES. Its not APCS (i.e. does not come with the driver attention camera, etc), but it seems to be a copy of the system thats currently in the GS. Updated s/w, better pedestrian detection, etc, but its still the "standard" PCS system.

My hope is THATS what they port into the '15 and earlier ES. I think it uses different s/w and probably different sensors but the infrastructure is probably close/the same as the current system in the '15 and earlier models.

Im not nutty enough to think they would upgrade the car into LS territory
Old 03-25-16, 06:05 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnny

WOW, is that out of left field or what?
Nobody has made ANY references to APCS previously in this thread & I doubt that any of us are "expecting" (or even interested) in getting APCS so not certain where your response logic comes from. What we are thinking will likely happen is that we will get the 2015/2016 updated version of PCS. Also, even if it was only delivered to Canada as a component of the Ultra model, there is no "Ultra" edition in the States so aligning it to Ultra cars only is probably a mis-cue. PCS was simply another option that was available on USA sold cars.

Last edited by bunka; 03-25-16 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-25-16, 06:08 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

There is no "Ultra" edition in the States. PCS was simply another option that was available. I don't think that any of us are "expecting" (or even interested) in getting APCS so not certain where your response logic comes from. What we are thinking will likely happen is that we will get the 2015/2016 updated version of PCS.
I think he meant Ultra Luxury edition (which is what this recall seems to entail....Ultra Lux package with PCS), but I agree with the rest of your assessment: just upgrade them to the version that seems to work fine (whatever is in the 2016)

BTW I talked to my service dept. and they were useless "anything that has to be done to the car has been done, we'll call you when we hear otherwise"
Old 03-25-16, 08:09 AM
jollick
Racer

Actually there is an updated version of the standard PCS system in the 2016 ES. Its not APCS (i.e. does not come with the driver attention camera, etc), but it seems to be a copy of the system thats currently in the GS. Updated s/w, better pedestrian detection, etc, but its still the "standard" PCS system.

My hope is THATS what they port into the '15 and earlier ES. I think it uses different s/w and probably different sensors but the infrastructure is probably close/the same as the current system in the '15 and earlier models.

Im not nutty enough to think they would upgrade the car into LS territory
My 2010 HS had the Driver Attention Monitor with PCS. It came with the Tech Package. It worked well. I was surprised to see it on a HS, but, it was there.
Old 05-19-16, 07:24 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Just an FYI - I scheduled the 5K service for our '15 ES which was already "recalled" for the PCS issue. Its already been disabled, hang tag in place etc.

Service advisor called me back and said they might have parts inbound to fix the actual issue. He is going to update me tomorrow morning with their status because he would rather do the service along with recall fix at the same time. He did say the recall is going to "take some time" so they would give me a loaner, which makes me think they have a process in place to actually fix it once and for all.

Hopefully Ill have better info tomorrow.

EDIT: found this FAQ on the recall, it says there is a remedy available and was just updated yesterday, so there is hope! https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...p/flelofaq.pdf

Last edited by chrisexv6; 05-19-16 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-19-16, 08:40 AM
jollick
Racer

Just an FYI - I scheduled the 5K service for our '15 ES which was already "recalled" for the PCS issue. Its already been disabled, hang tag in place etc.

Service advisor called me back and said they might have parts inbound to fix the actual issue. He is going to update me tomorrow morning with their status because he would rather do the service along with recall fix at the same time. He did say the recall is going to "take some time" so they would give me a loaner, which makes me think they have a process in place to actually fix it once and for all.

Hopefully Ill have better info tomorrow.

EDIT: found this FAQ on the recall, it says there is a remedy available and was just updated yesterday, so there is hope! https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...p/flelofaq.pdf
Thank you Chris, I look forward to your update.
Old 05-19-16, 08:58 AM
krieltb
Driver School Candidate

This showed up under my monthly health report on my 2016 UL. I was first owner to take it to local dealer for this and they checked it to be safe, but nothing was found.

Quick Reply: Lexus PCS safety recall certain 2013-2015 ES 350 and ES300h