Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2015 up NX300H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX300H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other first generation NX models.

Running Out of Gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 10:15 AM
VladSoare
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Out of Gas

This may be a stupid question, but apart from a short test drive I have no experience with hybrid cars. How does the NX behave when it runs out of gas? Will it stop right there? Or will it continue to run on electric power alone?
Old 12-24-15, 04:01 AM
VladSoare
Driver School Candidate

OK, I couldn't find any Lexus-specific info, but I guess the system must be more or less the same as the one used in Toyotas. As I understand, with a hybrid Toyota you can still limp a few miles in electric mode until the batteries get to an unsafely low level and the car shuts down completely. I understand the car will shut down when you still have enough power to restart, though apparently you can force it beyond that point if you're determined enough. But it seems that if the batteries get completely drained the car won't start again and will have to be recharged using a special tool that only official Toyota dealers have. That sounds scary. Better stop right there and add some gas.

Last edited by VladSoare; 12-24-15 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-24-15, 08:24 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Yep you are right about the Toyota system.

And I think the Lexus hybrid system would be the same too.
Old 12-24-15, 11:43 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems easier just to fill the tank once you get to 1/4 tank. That way you don't worry about running out of gas.
Old 12-25-15, 12:51 AM
VladSoare
Driver School Candidate

Indeed. But mistakes happen. It's good practice to be informed about worst case scenarios.
Old 12-25-15, 04:22 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VladSoare
Indeed. But mistakes happen. It's good practice to be informed about worst case scenarios.
Of course when you get low on fuel you get warnings from the car just before you run out of fuel.
Once you get that warning...shame on you if you don't find fuel.
Old 04-11-23, 02:33 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

This would only happen if you have the car stored and it wasnt used for a long enough time that the traction batter would be drained that low.

Or if you were driving and it ran out of gas, in that scenario the car would run out of gas then you have a little juice to go a short distance, and car would shut down but you still have plenty of juice left in traction battery after you refill with gas to kick start the gas engine to begin to recharge the traction battery.
Old 08-09-23, 06:15 AM
jihui88
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VladSoare
This may be a stupid question, but apart from a short test drive I have no experience with hybrid cars. How does the NX behave when it runs out of gas? Will it stop right there? Or will it continue to run on electric power alone?
The dealer told me when i picked up my car, make sure i don't deplete the gas or otherwise it will mess up the hybrid system and expensive to repair.