Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2015 up NX300H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX300H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other first generation NX models.

How does auto-braking work on NX300h?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 01:28 PM
lin8810
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does auto-braking work on NX300h?

One of my colleague had a small car accident yesterday. When he just drove on the way outside garage, morning sunlight directly hit his eyes and he couldn't see anything for a second. Then, hit the front car because he didn't reduce speed when front car stopped. (but he said his speed was lower then 10 MPH)

I am looking for 2016 NX300h and defintely I want to have every safety feature. According to Lexus USA website:

"The available Pre-Collision System (PCS) is engineered to detect an imminent frontal collision and, while retracting the front seatbelts, automatically prepares Brake Assist for increased braking response. It's even designed to automatically begin braking a full two seconds before impact."

I hope with this system, some thing like my colleague's accident can be completely avoided.

Does anyone know more detail about this? Can this system completely stop the car under ?? miles per hour?
Old 12-16-15, 03:45 PM
online421
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hope your colleague is ok!

I am in NZ so I am speaking from my spec of the car.
I tried the pre collision system when I test drove the car at the dealer with the system, thing is I think you have to put it to the radar sensor mode, and it is very sensitive.

The car sales told me to let the car take control of the brake and the accelerator, we needed to make a turn at an intersection, the traffic light is red, and the car stopped itself before hitting the car at front, there was still about 1 car length left. I was amazed.

I hope I never have to be in the situation where the car needs to take over control tho
Old 12-18-15, 03:47 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have the PCS and I have been a bit underwhelmed by it. For the record, I have never actually tried letting the car stop itself but when trying to do so I have only gotten the warning beeps with no braking intervention twice and the NX did not brake - only alerted me.

I have the system on another car and it works great. Sometimes even a bit too much. So there's a balance. The NX is primarily my wife's car so I wanted her to have the safety tech as well so I'm glad we have it. I just hope we don't need to test it in real life.

Regarding an earlier post, you should not need to have the adaptive cruise on for this system to work. If you want to get a feel for the auto stopping of the car then your salesperson did the right thing by showing you the adaptive cruise but the PCS should be on all the time and does not require you to have the adaptive cruise control activated. The PCS intervention should be much different/abrupt than the adaptive cruise braking.

Hope that helps.