Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Hybrid battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-16, 06:29 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I have a couple of OT questions that, as someone who has never owned a hybrid vehicle, I'm curious about.

When hybrid batteries die, do they give any warning before doing so, or do they just work one minute and stop working the next? Also, when they do die, can the vehicle still be driven with the internal combustion engine or are they incapable of being driven at all?
My 2007 Camry hybrid gave no warning the nav screen the showed a mess
and the power was off low but I could drive it and did to the dealer
they said it was the battery and fixed it free at 88k and then I felt like hey now I can go to 200k because I felt it was much newer battery and should last much longer then the first
Old 02-10-16, 10:26 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I cannot debate warranties on the Camry hybrid, I can only tell you what happened with a family member's car (and she stated 10 years so I assumed a 2006 model year but she didn't offer the year in our conversation). Now was she taken advantage of by being misinformed? It is certainly possible. I appreciate the information and I will certainly let her know. Maybe she has money coming back.

As I understand if she paid out of pocket prior to the warranty change then she can be reimbursed minus the mileage between the time the battery was replaced and the day the warranty change was made.

If she was charged AFTER the warrant change was already in effect she should be due a 100% refund.

The dealer can't help her, she needs to open a case with Toyota Customer Care.

Originally Posted by lesz
I have a couple of OT questions that, as someone who has never owned a hybrid vehicle, I'm curious about.

When hybrid batteries die, do they give any warning before doing so, or do they just work one minute and stop working the next? Also, when they do die, can the vehicle still be driven with the internal combustion engine or are they incapable of being driven at all?

Originally Posted by pgiinc
My 2007 Camry hybrid gave no warning the nav screen the showed a mess
and the power was off low but I could drive it and did to the dealer
they said it was the battery and fixed it free at 88k and then I felt like hey now I can go to 200k because I felt it was much newer battery and should last much longer then the first
exactly the same with ours, we drove it on Sunday for a family outing, went 80+ miles that day.

Monday my wife did her errands, shopping, etc. all was fine. . then she went to pick up our daughter from school, driving to the school no issue. She parked and waited about 10 minutes for the kids to be released, when she restarted the car the dash lit up and she got a message Hybrid System Failure or some such.

She was able to drive the car to the dealer (about 8 miles away), but braking and steering were 100% manual because they depend on the electric system which wasn't working. Also she couldn't get over 30 mph..

so basically it was in a limp mode.
Old 02-10-16, 05:42 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
additionally in 2014 Toyota upped the warranty on the Camry Hybrid battery from 8/80 to 10/150 under a warranty extension campaign due to pressure from Consumer Report and the NHTSA due to issues with the VSC and ABS systems which are directly related to the hybrid drive system, so her battery should have been covered under warranty like ours was.
After checking on this we have learned the extension to the warranty only applies to CARB states. Idaho does not follow CARB. We do not have the extended warranty like you enjoy in California (Washington, New Mexico and about six or seven other states).
Old 02-12-16, 07:11 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
After checking on this we have learned the extension to the warranty only applies to CARB states. Idaho does not follow CARB. We do not have the extended warranty like you enjoy in California (Washington, New Mexico and about six or seven other states).

oh that blows.. sorry to hear this.