Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

2011 LS600h

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-16, 03:33 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

This car looks identical to the 600h I drove 3 years ago when I first started looking for an LS. It was a 2008 with 68k miles on it. Oddly enough it was also at Lexus of Santa Monica.

This car looks nice; it's similar to the other hybrid I was looking at.The price is a little higher than I would expect but probably it's because of the super low mileage; which bears well for the battery and hybrid system (less wear and tear).

If you like it, buy it. 600hs are very thin on the ground here; especially 2010+. You might not get another chance for a while.
Old 03-06-16, 02:45 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jainla
This car looks identical to the 600h I drove 3 years ago when I first started looking for an LS. It was a 2008 with 68k miles on it. Oddly enough it was also at Lexus of Santa Monica.

This car looks nice; it's similar to the other hybrid I was looking at.The price is a little higher than I would expect but probably it's because of the super low mileage; which bears well for the battery and hybrid system (less wear and tear).

If you like it, buy it. 600hs are very thin on the ground here; especially 2010+. You might not get another chance for a while.
Thanks for the input. Dealer is pretty firm on price for now. It's hard to tell if this car will sell fast or will be one of those oddballs that sit on a lot for a long time...
Old 03-06-16, 03:45 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a rare car, so it's hard to say. To some people it just might be an over priced lexus, and to others it may be the needle in the hay stack they have been looking for. But never the less, the market is small for a $50k used car.
Old 03-06-16, 04:26 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Agee, car looks great! Get CPO extension to 6 years, don't pay more than $1600 for 3 more years
I looked up at the VSA warranty description and it says it doesn't cover batteries .... does that mean if the battery dies I am on my own after 2019?
Old 03-06-16, 05:07 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by orys
I looked up at the VSA warranty description and it says it doesn't cover batteries .... does that mean if the battery dies I am on my own after 2019?
Yes, you are on your own after the 8 years on the battery even if you have VSA
Old 03-06-16, 06:44 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the input. Dealer is pretty firm on price for now. It's hard to tell if this car will sell fast or will be one of those oddballs that sit on a lot for a long time...
I agree with others that the asking price is not bad at all, especially if the actual condition of the car is in-line with the age/mileage (i.e., this thing should be practically new).

FWIW, I've been watching this market since 2014, when I bought my car. In that time, I've only seen a few MY 2010+ 600s sit for long.

Three in particular come to mind, one that was seriously lacking in options (not sure who'd order a 600 new like that, but someone did), and it eventually sold, one in an awful shade of blue (which also eventually sold), and another (which I understand is still sitting - since May 2014), which has been overpriced since day one, is not in that great a shape, and the selling dealership is disturbingly sleazy (I actually went to look at this car back then).

Having said this, one never knows, and you obviously need to do what's right for you. Hopefully the timing works out if you decide to go for it once your lease is transferred. I love this car and found mine in Oregon!
Old 03-06-16, 08:46 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by caha14
I agree with others that the asking price is not bad at all, especially if the actual condition of the car is in-line with the age/mileage (i.e., this thing should be practically new).

FWIW, I've been watching this market since 2014, when I bought my car. In that time, I've only seen a few MY 2010+ 600s sit for long.

Three in particular come to mind, one that was seriously lacking in options (not sure who'd order a 600 new like that, but someone did), and it eventually sold, one in an awful shade of blue (which also eventually sold), and another (which I understand is still sitting - since May 2014), which has been overpriced since day one, is not in that great a shape, and the selling dealership is disturbingly sleazy (I actually went to look at this car back then).

Having said this, one never knows, and you obviously need to do what's right for you. Hopefully the timing works out if you decide to go for it once your lease is transferred. I love this car and found mine in Oregon!
Good to know you love your car still. What is the year and mileage? Has it been reliable for you? I naively thought the LS600h would be solid but now I it seems Jags are more reliable, according to some folks here
Old 03-06-16, 08:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

There is no evidence that Jaguars are more reliable than any Lexus lol
Old 03-07-16, 06:45 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Yes, you are on your own after the 8 years on the battery even if you have VSA
I might be mistaken, but it seems if you are buying a hybrid in CA (not sure if it matters where you reside), you actually have a 10 year/150K mile warranty on the hybrid battery and a 15 year/150K emissions warranty on the car. The car must have a PZEV classification, which appears the norm for hybrid MY's 2005 and newer:

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Indu...tml#Question10

"10. What types of emissions warranties are offered for hybrid vehicles?

Hybrid emissions warranties vary by vehicle manufacturer and model. Many 2005 and newer model-year hybrids are certified to California's Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV) standard. The PZEV standard requires an emissions system warranty of 15 years or 150,000 miles AND a battery warranty of 10 years or 150,000 miles. Model-year 2004 and older hybrids typically have the same emissions system warranties as traditional gasoline-powered vehicles.

Technicians should encourage vehicle owners to check their owner's manual or contact the vehicle manufacturer directly for emissions warranty information. This will help the consumer better understand the emission warranty coverage for their vehicle and whether any necessary repairs will be covered under the warranty."

If the warranty begins on the in-service date, it looks like the battery warranty would end in 2020 or 2021, assuming the mileage limit isn't exceeded.

I don't know if all hybrid components, such as the inverter, are subject to these warranties.

Edit: As a previous poster mentioned, the car was put into service 3/2011, so if the California extended hybrid battery warranty applies, it's covered until 3/2021, about 5 years from now.

I too looked at the vehicle history. Apparently, the car has was bought from and serviced by Lexus of Santa Monica. It appears the car might have been in an accident, possibly a minor one, as there are references on 6/14/2013 to "RECONDITION DAMAGED PANELS" and possibly on 2/2/2016 to "PERFORM ALIGNMENT TO CHECK SUSPENSION DAMAGE AND AFTER ADJUSTING FRONT AND REAR TOE ITS OK." 2/2/2016 is also when the CPO inspection was done.

If you're interested in the car, I'd try to leverage the the few possible concerns mentioned above to reducing the asking price a bit.

The above information

Last edited by Gbp; 03-07-16 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-07-16, 07:29 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This car is priced the way it is because of the low mileage and because it's CPO. Looking at the carfax from the dealer site it went into service 5 years ago today!

I purchased my 2009 LS600 2.5 years ago for $55K which had 19.9K miles. This was a CPO and was still within the original 4 year warranty period at the time, although I opted for the Platinum coverage. So $53K seems like an OK price today for what is essentially a near new car mileage wise. For this price the interior should also literally appear 'as new' as well.
Old 03-07-16, 08:17 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Good to know you love your car still. What is the year and mileage? Has it been reliable for you? I naively thought the LS600h would be solid but now I it seems Jags are more reliable, according to some folks here
I have a late-build 2010 (it's basically a few months older than the 2011 you're looking at), and at the moment, I am at 14k miles. The car is practically new - inside, outside, undercarriage, etc.

I got in knowing the batteries could be a question in the long term, but this was not and still is not a "show stopper" in my mind. Toyota/Lexus has been in the hybrid business for a long time. I empathize with and definitely do not diminish the experience some folks have had (shelling out $1,000s in repairs recently, or CJITTY's warranty "expiration" issue). They make very valid points, and I can see their perspective. However, I am not in the alarmist club on the 600 at the moment nor will I ever suggest Jaguar as a more reliable option...

The 460L was awesome, yet this thing is a whole different animal... I am reminded every time I drive it (accelerating from 60 to 90+ on the highway is one of those nice, little pleasures). In this context, the similar 0-60 times for the 600 and 460 is one of the most meaningless (from a practical standpoint) stats on these two vehicles.

Last edited by caha14; 03-07-16 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-07-16, 09:57 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

One thing to consider is the fact there are so few 600s around. I can count on one finger the # of 600s for sale within a 300 mile radius of Dallas on Autotrader. All of them are 2008s...

If you've always wanted a 600, I'd say go for it. Hard to find a 2011, the CPO does give you some peace of mind and the price is fair. See if they can do additional things at that "full" price....like I don't know, your next 4 service calls for free or something. Or tweak them a bit on your trade value.
Old 03-07-16, 08:27 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Wandl
One thing to consider is the fact there are so few 600s around. I can count on one finger the # of 600s for sale within a 300 mile radius of Dallas on Autotrader. All of them are 2008s...

If you've always wanted a 600, I'd say go for it. Hard to find a 2011, the CPO does give you some peace of mind and the price is fair. See if they can do additional things at that "full" price....like I don't know, your next 4 service calls for free or something. Or tweak them a bit on your trade value.
Actually, I have been thinking of asking them to replace the rims - the are chromed (done at the dealer at time of original purchase). Don't know how much is a nice set of rims for this car so not sure if they would consider this, but perhaps, if they have rims in stock.I am partial to 20' but would not lower the car...
Old 03-07-16, 08:29 PM
orys
Pit Crew

I too looked at the vehicle history. Apparently, the car has was bought from and serviced by Lexus of Santa Monica. It appears the car might have been in an accident, possibly a minor one, as there are references on 6/14/2013 to "RECONDITION DAMAGED PANELS" and possibly on 2/2/2016 to "PERFORM ALIGNMENT TO CHECK SUSPENSION DAMAGE AND AFTER ADJUSTING FRONT AND REAR TOE ITS OK." 2/2/2016 is also when the CPO inspection was done.

If you're interested in the car, I'd try to leverage the the few possible concerns mentioned above to reducing the asking price a bit.

Yes, I saw that too. How can they certify a car that's been in an accident? I need to go over the car with a paint meter...
Old 03-07-16, 08:41 PM
orys
Pit Crew

The 460L was awesome, yet this thing is a whole different animal... I am reminded every time I drive it (accelerating from 60 to 90+ on the highway is one of those nice, little pleasures). In this context, the similar 0-60 times for the 600 and 460 is one of the most meaningless (from a practical standpoint) stats on these two vehicles

That's how I fest when I test drove the car. The other thing is, I don't know what other car I would prefer having over the 600 for around 50K. I am excluding pretty much all the German options ( there is a reason these cars depreciate colossally .... I refer to them as 'disposable' since they turn into a money pit past 60K). I guess another option is a 13 LS460 F sport, but those aren't much different than my wife's 12 LS460 w/sport package... I even considered the RC-F but didn't care for it plus it's priced higher. The Acura RLX hybrid is an interesting car.... never drove one though.

Quick Reply: 2011 LS600h