Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.
View Poll Results: Do you think this brake noise is normal or not
Normal
28.57%
Not Normal, need to be fixed
71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Brake noise every time I press the pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 11:28 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by pdaeng
It will return. Believe me.

I am pretending it is not there. :-(.
Well, you sir get the gold star for being correct! And, there is no way in hell we intend to pretend it's not there.The sound has returned after only eight months and approximately 4K miles later, which utterly sucks. So disconcerting to own a "luxury" vehicle where a noise such as this occurs. My wife and I both hate the sound and it will be going back to the dealer to be fixed. Our RX only has a little over 8K miles on it and this will be the second ABS unit. Does anyone else who has experienced this same issue know whether they have made a revised ABS unit for this problem? Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
joedaddy1 (12-28-19)
Old 05-31-19, 08:43 PM
LesR1200RT
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just had my actuator and abs pump repaced

Just wanted to say thank you to all that shared info on their respective brake issues. Based upon your feedback, I was able to successfully request my Lexus dealer to replace my brake actuator and abs pump under warranty. This forum is a great resource.
The following 2 users liked this post by LesR1200RT:
Danushie (06-21-21), Wurdup (07-02-21)
Old 11-05-19, 01:25 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to bring up an old thread but my wife's 19' RXH F-sport with less than 4k miles, started making the clicking noise at low speeds when the brake pedal is depressed. I brought it to the local dealership and after some back and forth of them telling me that it's normal, they went ahead and replaced the brake actuator. On the way home after picking up the car, it started making the noise again after about 20 miles of driving!

I did notice that the loaner 19' RXH non F-sport didn't make this noise. Also, the part number on the invoice was 44050-48320 but when I checked under the hood, I see a 44510-48080. Not sure if they just put the wrong part on the invoice or not.
Old 11-12-19, 08:38 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Arrow

Here is the TSB for this thread's issues: Brake/Squawk Noise L-SB-0004-19
The following 2 users liked this post by SoCalRX:
Danushie (06-21-21), Wurdup (07-02-21)
Old 11-13-19, 06:26 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
Here is the TSB for this thread's issues: Brake/Squawk Noise L-SB-0004-19

Is there a way to check if my vehicle is subject to this TSB?
Old 11-13-19, 02:25 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by golferjack
Is there a way to check if my vehicle is subject to this TSB?
You'll know when it and if it happens as every time you press on the brake you will a squawk (in our case it was squawk versus a knock), your passengers will hear the squawk and it eventually drive you mad. This TSB is only applicable to your RX should you encounter the squawk or knock. I can say that when it first happened to ours that they only replaced one of the components listed in the TSB which led to the second failure whereby they replaced all the components (including the initial component they replaced the first time).
Wurdup (07-02-21)
Old 12-09-19, 03:00 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

so after like 6 month after the dealer replaced the abs actuator the squaks is back once in awhile should i bring this back to the dealer? or i have to wait till it makes the sound everytime?
Old 12-09-19, 06:27 AM
ZnSaucier
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
so after like 6 month after the dealer replaced the abs actuator the squaks is back once in awhile should i bring this back to the dealer? or i have to wait till it makes the sound everytime?
Bring it back. I've been dealing with this issue for 2 years (6 shop visits). Persistence is key.
Old 12-09-19, 10:44 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by richard203
This fix requires several parts be replaced as listed in TSB link I listed above. Ours was initially fixed by repairing only one of the parts (like yours, only the ABS actuator) whereby it failed again, thereby leading to all the respective parts replaced as they should have been the first time. There is a newly signed law that will affect Californians, in a positive way: New California law sets the reimbursement rate for dealers who do recalls

As others have mentioned, I'd take it back, along with a printout of the TSB: Brake/Squawk Noise L-SB-0004-19

Last edited by SoCalRX; 12-09-19 at 12:54 PM.
Danushie (06-21-21)
Old 12-18-19, 04:04 PM
Lexugh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2020 has the same problem

Originally Posted by pdaeng
my rx450h keeps having issues. Very disappointed.
the most recent one is that every time I press the pedal, it makes a small "dang" noise. Not loud but very annoying. Took to the dealer for three times for this issue, they admitted the noise and bleed the brake. However it did not help. At last, they told me that this is normal for hybrid. They showed a brand new 450h and it indeed makes a silimlar noise!
Can not believe that!

The loaner I take is a rx350 2016. The pedal has no noise. But I do feel way more vibration than my 450h.

Probably the last Lexus for me.

the noise sample is here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fquhg4rxf1...noise.mov?dl=0
I have a 2020 Rx450h. I'll give you one guess as to why I'm here!!! At 800mi, I started getting the EXACT same noise as in your recording!!! You'd think after 4 years of this, they would fix it!!!
A question I have, is this a safety issue or just an annoyance?
The TSB is only applicable to certain VIN numbers, which mine is well beyond BUT the noise is EXACTLY the same and under the same conditions. Suggestions? Just demand the fix?
Thanks

Last edited by Lexugh; 12-18-19 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-20-19, 01:40 PM
Cmendi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 RX 450h making knocking sound when braking

I recently purchased a 2019 RX 450h (hybrid) after owning a 2004 Rx330. My 2004 was a great car, so I felt I would get many more years of reliability from my new 2019. Unfortunately after 7800 miles my SUV has also developed the same knocking noise, every time you depress the brake pedals. it’s really noticeable when in EV mode. I took my vehicle to the dealership and after a week they told me that it was normal and they compared it to another used 2019 in the lot.
I told them that my vehicle did not make this sound when it was new and why don’t they look at the prior SB addressing this problem on the older 2018’s.
Has anyone experienced this same problem with the new 2019’s ?.
Lexugh (12-20-19)
Old 12-20-19, 01:46 PM
Lexugh
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure I'll get the same answer from the dealer. Probably have to escalate it like others did in this thread! At least you got several thousand miles before knocking started. Mine started at 800 miles. My 4Runner was made in Japan. The quality and attention detail, especially on exterior paint, far exceeds that of the RX made in Canada. I guess I thought, incorrectly, that all Lexus products were still made in Japan. Good luck to you. Keep up posted.
Old 12-20-19, 01:55 PM
Cmendi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it’s very frustrating. I’ve called Lexus costumer service line and escalated the complaint. Hopefully they’ll have a satisfactory resolution.
Old 12-21-19, 02:43 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexugh
I'm sure I'll get the same answer from the dealer. Probably have to escalate it like others did in this thread! At least you got several thousand miles before knocking started. Mine started at 800 miles. My 4Runner was made in Japan. The quality and attention detail, especially on exterior paint, far exceeds that of the RX made in Canada. I guess I thought, incorrectly, that all Lexus products were still made in Japan. Good luck to you. Keep up posted.
what was wrong with the paint ??
sorry to hear about your troubles

Old 12-23-19, 10:25 AM
Lexugh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JSracer
what was wrong with the paint ??
sorry to hear about your troubles
Nothing wrong with the paint, really but side by side to my 4Runner the RX paint lacked the depth of gloss and "wet" look. Both cars were pearl white. Another thing I noticed is that hinged surface gaps were much closer on the 4Runner. I'd buy another 4Runner in a heart beat if it had all the same safety features of the RX.

Quick Reply: Brake noise every time I press the pedal