Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.
View Poll Results: Do you think this brake noise is normal or not
Normal
28.57%
Not Normal, need to be fixed
71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Brake noise every time I press the pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-22, 03:48 PM
mkchung
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Everyone,

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to share my recent experience. I have a 2017 RX 450h and it started making noises a few months ago. At first it started when it was cold and as time went on, it was continually happening when I'd step on the brakes. I brought my car in today for a 50k service and the advisor told me it could be the actuator but after a road test, he said it was normal for a hybrid - not what you want to hear. After reading the posts here, I asked him if they could clean the calipers and so far, no more noise! Fingers crossed this is what was causing the issue. Hope this helps someone in the future!
Old 01-12-22, 11:31 PM
Wiener
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not normal, totally not normal!
I have been very persistent and... a few weeks ago Toyota Motor Poland sent a tech guy to my dealership and they did some special brake-system air-removal procedure + they replaced the brake pump. Since then it is quiet.
Well, it happened only once while starting the car. The brake pedal felt somehow stuck and it "farted", but that's ok if it happens like once a month. We will see if it is fixed for good or if it returns.

Anyway, it is crazy that Lexus did not manage to solve it for good for so many years.

Last edited by Wiener; 01-12-22 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-13-22, 06:11 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiener
Not normal, totally not normal!
I have been very persistent and... a few weeks ago Toyota Motor Poland sent a tech guy to my dealership and they did some special brake-system air-removal procedure + they replaced the brake pump. Since then it is quiet.
Well, it happened only once while starting the car. The brake pedal felt somehow stuck and it "farted", but that's ok if it happens like once a month. We will see if it is fixed for good or if it returns.

Anyway, it is crazy that Lexus did not manage to solve it for good for so many years.
I agree that it has something to do with air pressure, which might explain why mine only happens in the summer, when going from low to high altitude. Cold weather seems to keep it from happening at high altitude. Calipers have nothing to do with the issue, because it also happens when the car is turned off and the air is released from the system. All Toyota hybrids release the the air when the system is turned off.
Old 02-16-22, 11:33 PM
Wiener
Driver School Candidate

Status update: it still happens, but is very rare. Before the brake system bleeding and the special air removal procedure it happened almost on every harder brake pedal depressing. Now it happens... once a week? It does not annoy me much anymore.
And you guys in the US... go buy an LX. I would definitely replace my RX with an LX, but it is not available on the european market (and imported from the US costs like $170 000).
Old 02-17-22, 05:31 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Probably would buy an LX if it had a hybrid option.
Old 02-17-22, 11:44 PM
Wiener
Driver School Candidate

There probably will be a hybrid soon. You have Tundra hybrid, Sequoia hybrid so the LX750h is only a matter of time.
Old 11-03-22, 12:45 PM
Benshell
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - sorry to bring an older thread up. I have a 2018 450H and have been dealing with the squawking (seal bark) for the last few years. It seems to be all of the time now and is making me crazy.
We took the car in on two prior occasions asking them to listen to the car because of the noise. The first told us they couldn't hear the noise the next time they told us it was normal. As it has continued to worsen, we took it in one last time for maintenance and look over before warranty was up. Still, they reported no issue. A few weeks later we went back to the dealer with a non-related issue and while there my husband as the tech again about the sound. THIS TIME they heard the sound but told us unfortunately car is now OUT of warranty. Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed when the car is out of warranty? They said it will be $185 for them to diagnose and $3,000 to replace if it is the actuator. (I brought in a printout of the issue that someone posted here.) So, of course I'm frustrated that the service department did nothing when we initially brought car to them while under warranty and that they aren't immediately making it right now. Is there any way of fighting this given Lexus clearly knows there is an issue? Thank you!
Old 11-04-22, 04:19 PM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Unfortunately, most hybrid owners are in the same boat. The noise (bark) is currently not s safety issue, more of a nuisance. Replacing the part is only a temporary fix.

One thing I noticed is the noise goes away after a brake fluid exchange. Comes back about a year later.
Old 11-05-22, 07:32 AM
vmoldovan
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSyce
Unfortunately, most hybrid owners are in the same boat. The noise (bark) is currently not s safety issue, more of a nuisance. Replacing the part is only a temporary fix.

One thing I noticed is the noise goes away after a brake fluid exchange. Comes back about a year later.
I can confirm, 2017 RX 450h here. Mine got replaced under warranty, 2 1/2 years ago, “barking“ too much, and I feel it is slowly coming back as creaks occasionally

I have not replaced break fluid yet so thanks for a tip, will try, hopefully it makes it better.

nothing is perfect but RX 450h is still pretty good though .
Old 11-15-22, 02:09 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here with my 2018 RX450h. The brake actuator was replaced under warranty.
Last for a few months, the noise came back.
Old 11-17-22, 03:20 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought a 2010 RX450h in 2016 with 60K miles. Great car but it began barking about a year later. Very fortunately, the CPO car came with a warranty and my Lexus service guy was able to get the parts replaced under warranty. No more seal barking for the past four years.

This barking issue has been a common thing on these boards. I am very surprised that Lexus won't/can't determine the cause, and I'm also surprised this hasn't become a class action lawsuit. No one wants a luxury car that barks like a seal, no mattery how much you like seals.
Old 11-18-22, 04:34 AM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by riredale
I bought a 2010 RX450h in 2016 with 60K miles. Great car but it began barking about a year later. Very fortunately, the CPO car came with a warranty and my Lexus service guy was able to get the parts replaced under warranty. No more seal barking for the past four years.

This barking issue has been a common thing on these boards. I am very surprised that Lexus won't/can't determine the cause, and I'm also surprised this hasn't become a class action lawsuit. No one wants a luxury car that barks like a seal, no mattery how much you like seals.
Do you remember what parts were replaced?
Old 11-18-22, 06:37 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Originally Posted by riredale

I have replied to this link before, and I agree with you on the parts. My 2018 RX sometimes barks, but my 2016 RAV does not bark. Don't know why the difference. I wonder if the parts are the same.
Old 11-18-22, 08:44 AM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Right. The bark doesn't happen all the time. I don't drive it every day. It's the wife's car.
I noticed it happens more in cold weather.
Old 11-18-22, 08:51 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
Right. The bark doesn't happen all the time. I don't drive it every day. It's the wife's car.
I noticed it happens more in cold weather.
Very weird, because on mine it does not happen in cold weather, and might have something to do with air pressure/altitude. See my previous posts.

Quick Reply: Brake noise every time I press the pedal