Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

2008 Ls600hL Hybrid battery removal Diy

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 09:28 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazes
I just bought a 2008 LS600hL with 91K a month ago from a used car lot. Paid 24K. I happened to get it at the exact wrong timing before having problems (Battery, Struts, PCS warning light). None occurred during test drive.

The message to check Hybrid system came up a week after having car. Brought to Bellevue WA Lexus dealership. The warranty for battery is 100K or 96months. Service rep said he would contact corporate. Next day he said sorry, they would not help. I have to pay 100% of the parts and labor. It's $6300 after core credit.

Also, a week after having car, I noticed strange noise in front right. Brought into lexus. They said struts had known problem causing 'noise rattle, and ride deterioration'.
There was a service bulletin on this issue, which covered replacement, but this ran out at 50K miles. Lexus Dealership quoted full price for part and labor on this too. No help. I think 2 other struts are making noises too. Need to replace all 4 to be sure.

And lastly, the PCS light is coming on, so according to other posts here, it may be $1000 fix to replace part behind front grill (radar part)

I really believed with this being their flagship car, I would be making a good bet purchasing it. I have always thought Lexus was most reliable brand, and remembered Lexus Dealership experience as awesome from past lexus car ownership experience. (Owned a SC400 previously)

But since the battery is a year out of warranty, original struts had problems, I thought Lexus would at least cut me some break on parts or labor. But no love. I have to pay 100% for all of it.

Wish Lexus had given me something to assist with problems with their Ultimate Flagship.
Very sorry to hear about the myriad of problems shortly after taking ownership, Cazes. May I ask what kind of used car dealership this was? While searching for our LS I visited some shady used car dealerships that listed some attractive LSes, but a service history check revealed engine swaps, body work, worn control arms, door locks that didn't work, etc. I wonder if the used car dealership cleared all of the diagnostic codes before you test drove it. Did you have the 600 inspected before purchasing? A shame it is giving you so many problems so soon, and expensive ones at that.

Although I do feel for what Talidtb and Cazes are both going through, I don't think Lexus is obligated in any way to help with used cars that are way beyond the warranty period. There was considerable risk in purchasing a 100K-mile 600hL with an original battery (not to mention all the original bells-n-whistles that can go wrong, such as air suspension, control arms, brake actuators, AWD differential maintenance, etc.). The 600hL was the pinnacle of Lexus achievement but we're talking about a lot of advanced technology that is far from brand new. If the car didn't need a bunch of service soon then the previous owner probably would have kept the stunning flagship. CJITTY's experience was just plain wrong, Lexus certainly should have stood behind their product and the customer in that case as he phoned in the claim on the last day of warranty. Talidtb's and Cazes' situations are very different than CJITTY's in my mind. I can understand Talidtb's frustrations with the 600 but I wouldn't write off the entire brand. Just don't buy another Lexus hybrid, but when you do then you really have to prepare for the possibility of a failed battery and especially since these cars are already beyond the hybrid battery warranty and at or close to 100K miles. Hoping for the best for both Talidtb and Cazes.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 04-06-17 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 10:26 PM
Talidtb
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Still running on my deteriorated hybrid battery. 11k and 1 and half years later. I have been reading up and i seen a honda civic add 225k on a deteriorated battery. Issue Started at 75k and owner posted later on he reached 300k. Just kept driving. Being the 600 is a higher voltage system i think it can stand up if not longer then the civics hybrid system.

Last edited by Talidtb; 04-19-18 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-07-18, 12:21 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I feel for both of you being saddled with expenses that in some cases approach 50% of the cars value. I'm a long time BMW driver and recently switched to Lexus to get a reprieve from ridiculous repair expenses. I'm sure both of you chose Lexus with the expectation of reliable transportation. With that being said, shocks, bushings, and batteries are wear items, and on any car they'll wear out eventually. Noting that the third party warranty doesn't cover the hybrid batteries doesn't surprise me. These stories should give any prospective third party warranty customer pause. The topic is highly debated, however these companies don't price these plans to loose money and are known in the consumer arena to be some of the shadiest business in existence. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 05-22-21, 02:12 PM
chauggle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
See attached pdf, document the process if you can with picture. So far I haven't heard of anyone attempting this himself and I'm curious to see how the battery is made on this car. Good luck
would you happen to have the procedure to remove the rear executive seat/ottoman/center console?
Old 01-14-23, 09:36 PM
Bigsk8r
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
See attached pdf, document the process if you can with picture. So far I haven't heard of anyone attempting this himself and I'm curious to see how the battery is made on this car. Good luck
Do you have a source for this on the 2011? I have the full shop manual set, but being able to print this and make notes on it would be great...

Thanks!