Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

2008 Ls600hL Hybrid battery removal Diy

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 04:45 AM
Talidtb
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2008 Ls600hL Hybrid battery removal Diy

Anyone ever removed the hybrid battery in there Ls600hL or in there Lexus Hybrid Period? My HV battery is going and would like to know how hard it is to remove it. If theres a step by step out please let me know. Planning on maybe replacing the bad cells depending on how tedious the job is. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
stopdrpnro (07-02-23)
Old 01-03-17, 05:55 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

See attached pdf, document the process if you can with picture. So far I haven't heard of anyone attempting this himself and I'm curious to see how the battery is made on this car. Good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ls600hl_2008_HV_removal.pdf (1.77 MB, 1606 views)
chauggle (05-22-21)
Old 01-03-17, 06:04 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Btw can you post a bit more into about how it happened, symptom, mileage, car still going normally despite the warning on the dash ? Battery failure seems quite inevitable on this car.
Old 01-03-17, 06:12 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Talidtb...You have 2 private mails :-)

Last edited by Arvid; 01-03-17 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-05-17, 05:04 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Can this ever be a DIY?? I think the orange hybrid cables carry north of 160v DC that needs certified electrician to handle...
Old 01-06-17, 07:25 AM
Talidtb
Rookie

Originally Posted by Arvid
Talidtb...You have 2 private mails :-)
Hey sorry im not on often. Lol but its a 2008. Bought it with 106k and not long after the the check hybrid light came on. Erased the code (P0A80 & P0A7F) hybrid battery failure and hybrid battery deterioration. Its usually either or. Never both codes at once. the car still drives. Doesnt happen often but i noticed mileage suffering, acceleration delay occasionally, and car running sometimes without charging. I now have 110k car still runs and same issues but i know its a matter of time before it goes. I contacted lexus corporate to see if they could assist but i highly doubt it. 🤞 My lexus service advisor told me its $7,800 to replace it. He said he had a client with the Gs450h come in for the same issue and price is about the same. Client paid. Smh idk what imma do cause this is financed and i owe about 17k on the car still. I have third party warranty but in the hybrid section of my warranty they only cover the hybrid compenents. The battery is considered wear and tear so not covered. Sighh

Last edited by Talidtb; 01-06-17 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-06-17, 07:29 AM
Talidtb
Rookie

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Can this ever be a DIY?? I think the orange hybrid cables carry north of 160v DC that needs certified electrician to handle...
Theres safety procedures that must be followed but it can be done. I read the dismantling manual and if u follow the process its a hell of a job. I dont think i would tackle it myself on second thought. Smh. Dealer wants $1,000 labor to replace it. So i'll let them deal with it if anything

Last edited by Talidtb; 01-06-17 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-06-17, 07:57 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Talidtb
Hey sorry im not on often. Lol but its a 2008. Bought it with 106k and not long after the the check hybrid light came on. Erased the code (P0A80 & P0A7F) hybrid battery failure and hybrid battery deterioration. Its usually either or. Never both codes at once. the car still drives. Doesnt happen often but i noticed mileage suffering, acceleration delay occasionally, and car running sometimes without charging. I now have 110k car still runs and same issues but i know its a matter of time before it goes. I contacted lexus corporate to see if they could assist but i highly doubt it. 🤞 My lexus service advisor told me its $7,800 to replace it. He said he had a client with the Gs450h come in for the same issue and price is about the same. Client paid. Smh idk what imma do cause this is financed and i owe about 17k on the car still. I have third party warranty but in the hybrid section of my warranty they only cover the hybrid compenents. The battery is considered wear and tear so not covered. Sighh
I am sorry, bud. That's a tough story. You didn't say how long ago you bought the car. But you have driven it only about 4000 miles, and looks like you deal with performance issues or worry about the car every time you drive it. You are still paying it off, and you cannot decide whether to invest the additional 8K. Your experience and CJITTY's are stories of caution for anyone interested in buying an older 600hL, and contrast with riknchar's love story with his 600hL. Good luck!
Old 01-06-17, 09:15 AM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Talidtb
Theres safety procedures that must be followed but it can be done. I read the dismantling manual and if u follow the process its a hell of a job. I dont think i would tackle it myself on second thought. Smh. Dealer wants $1,000 labor to replace it.
I would give it to the dealer for $1000 labor, safety+there are so many components that will get touched and things can go wrong. Lexus might cover a part if you purchased the car certified or from a Lexus dealer.

Last edited by hfahmy; 01-06-17 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-06-17, 11:43 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
I am sorry, bud. That's a tough story. You didn't say how long ago you bought the car. But you have driven it only about 4000 miles, and looks like you deal with performance issues or worry about the car every time you drive it. You are still paying it off, and you cannot decide whether to invest the additional 8K. Your experience and CJITTY's are stories of caution for anyone interested in buying an older 600hL, and contrast with riknchar's love story with his 600hL. Good luck!
Comotiger, Too funny with the "riknchar's love story..." line! I just think someone ought to stick up for this amazing automobile, and I've elected myself as "that guy..." There are some serious costs associated with ownership of the LS600hL flagship sedan, but the possible hybrid battery replacement is not at the top of the list (at least not in my case). Depreciation is by far the biggest cost of ownership, period. Even buying the vehicle as a 6-year old CPO, I paid $45K for the car and the extended CPO warranty (giving me 6 years/125k miles of coverage). Today's trade in value is around $22k (if I'm lucky), so I've lost $23k in real money by owning this car for the past 3 years. IF the battery does fail in the next 3 years, I'll be out another $5k. I can afford it. And nothing in the Lexus lineup is the equal to the LS600hL, so yes, my "love story" continues for now.

For the OP, I've found LS600hL OEM replacement hybrid battery packs for under $4k online (and dropping, I think). You'd be way better off buying the batteries yourself and having a reputable independent shop install them for $500 or so. I know there are shops that specialize in replacing hybrid batteries for other Toyota vehicles, and there shouldn't be anything that difficult about the LS600hL replacement process. It sucks that the battery failed so soon after you bought the car, but anyone buying a hybrid of any type with more than 100K miles really should factor in the very real chance of battery failure.
RadiantX45 (07-16-21)
Old 01-06-17, 11:53 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

The Part Number for the LS600hL Hybrid Battery is G9510-50011.

Here's a link to an online reseller offering a new OEM Hybrid Battery (with full Lexus warranty) for $3975: http://www.discountpartsmonster.com/...omponents-scat
Old 01-06-17, 12:30 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
Comotiger, Too funny with the "riknchar's love story..." line! I just think someone ought to stick up for this amazing automobile, and I've elected myself as "that guy..." There are some serious costs associated with ownership of the LS600hL flagship sedan, but the possible hybrid battery replacement is not at the top of the list (at least not in my case). Depreciation is by far the biggest cost of ownership, period. Even buying the vehicle as a 6-year old CPO, I paid $45K for the car and the extended CPO warranty (giving me 6 years/125k miles of coverage). Today's trade in value is around $22k (if I'm lucky), so I've lost $23k in real money by owning this car for the past 3 years. IF the battery does fail in the next 3 years, I'll be out another $5k. I can afford it. And nothing in the Lexus lineup is the equal to the LS600hL, so yes, my "love story" continues for now.
I meant it as a compliment, and was not trying to be funny . It is true that many of us have wonderful experiences with our cars, LS or not, while others are not so lucky. I love my loaded 460L, and it comes pretty close to your 600hL in comfort, safety and performance

Our cars were never meant to be investments; they will always depreciate, some faster than others. The return on our "investment" is the pleasure we derive when getting behind the wheel and experiencing the luxurious sensations of the drive, and the comfort and safety afforded our loved ones while traveling.
Old 01-06-17, 01:14 PM
Talidtb
Rookie

The Part Number for the LS600hL Hybrid Battery is G9510-50011.

Here's a link to an online reseller offering a new OEM Hybrid Battery (with full Lexus warranty) for $3975: http://www.discountpartsmonster.com/...omponents-scat
yea this is the cheapest i found it for
Old 01-06-17, 01:17 PM
Talidtb
Rookie

Comotiger, Too funny with the "riknchar's love story..." line! I just think someone ought to stick up for this amazing automobile, and I've elected myself as "that guy..." There are some serious costs associated with ownership of the LS600hL flagship sedan, but the possible hybrid battery replacement is not at the top of the list (at least not in my case). Depreciation is by far the t cost of ownership, period. Even buying the vehicle as a 6-year old CPO, I paid $45K for the car and the extended CPO warranty (giving me 6 years/125k miles of coverage). Today's trade in value is around $22k (if I'm lucky), so I've lost $23k in real money by owning this car for the past 3 years. IF the battery does fail in the next 3 years, I'll be out another $5k. I can afford it. And nothing in the Lexus lineup is the equal to the LS600hL, so yes, my "love story" continues for now.

For the OP, I've found LS600hL OEM replacement hybrid battery packs for under $4k online (and dropping, I think). You'd be way better off buying the batteries yourself and having a reputable independent shop install them for $500 or so. I know there are shops that specialize in replacing hybrid batteries for other Toyota vehicles, and there shouldn't be anything that difficult about the LS600hL replacement process. It sucks that the battery failed so soon after you bought the car, but anyone buying a hybrid of any type with more than 100K miles really should factor in the very real chance of battery failure.

i plan on forking it up when the time comes. I gotta start saving now. I wouldnt feel safe for a indy shop touching it. I read the dismantle manual and there is a hell of alot of things back there that has to be moved in order to get the battery out. Just simply sharing my story. I plan on keeping it as theres nothing else out there like it. Plus my extended warranty is paying majority of repairs exluding battery.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Talidtb; 01-06-17 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-06-17, 01:22 PM
Talidtb
Rookie

Originally Posted by comotiger
I meant it as a compliment, and was not trying to be funny . It is true that many of us have wonderful experiences with our cars, LS or not, while others are not so lucky. I love my loaded 460L, and it comes pretty close to your 600hL in comfort, safety and performance

Our cars were never meant to be investments; they will always depreciate, some faster than others. The return on our "investment" is the pleasure we derive when getting behind the wheel and experiencing the luxurious sensations of the drive, and the comfort and safety afforded our loved ones while traveling.
i agree. But to buy another with these features and more up to date is way more expensive then out of pocket repairs

Quick Reply: 2008 Ls600hL Hybrid battery removal Diy