Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Your opinion on 2014-15 LS600

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 07:32 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
Satiger: I thought of you recently when I saw a great deal on an LS600hL. It was a 2014 at Lexus of Nashville, and it was your favorite color (Nebula Gray). It had the Flaxen interior that I LOVE! The car had 26K miles, was pretty loaded up (including LKA) and had been sitting on their lot for 80 days or so. I contacted a salesman about it earlier this week, and he emailed me back this morning saying they were going to be sending it back to auction tomorrow, and that I could have it today for $61k if I wanted. Seemed like a great price, and while I dearly love my 2008 LS600hL, I was actually considering jumping on it. It managed to sell while I was hemming and hawing, though, so it's no longer an issue... Oh well, I really do love my 2008, and it doesn't make much sense to get a newer one at this point... But still, I am drawn to that Flaxen interior...
Sorry riknchar for late response. Thanks on the heads up.

I contacted them few weeks back on the same car. Since I am interested in tan/beige interior, decided to pass. However, they kept contacting me asking what is the best I could offer. I too noticed it sat on the lot for longer than I would expect from loaded, low miles 600. Not sure why.
Old 05-07-17, 07:42 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by sorka
I have a 2015 Tesla P85D Ludicrous. Different kind of car entirely. Far more power. 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. Stiff suspension. Interior is nowhere near as nice as the LS. Not even in the same league. Lots of new technology with bells and whistles, but very little in the way of luxury. Heck, they only just added rear cup holders but are still missing grab hand rails, lighted vanity mirrors, door pockets, coat hangers, etc.

You'll find the LS is probably 10 decibels quieter than the Tesla at 75 MPH. The tesla is very quiet at low speed, but the frameless window doors and lack of fit and finish refinement results in a lot more wind noise. Still way quieter than my Prius but not as quiet as my SC430.

The instant torque and acceleration is addicting. It feels light and nimble from stop light to stop light. It's telepathic in it's instant acceleration yet it weighs 5000 lbs.

The LS is going to have better seats, better climate control, and more amenities. It's an ultra luxury barge. The Tesla isn't. But the Tesla can do cool things like summon into and out of parking spots or tight spaces. It has cabin overheat protection so it won't get more than 105 degrees inside baking in the sun. You can whip out the app and turn on the climate control if you want to cool it to 70 degrees before you get back to your car. You can watch you spouse drive too fast on the freeway in real time or get alerts if the car exceeds a certain speed. My wife was driving back from work the other day at 90 MPH. I screen shotted my phone and texted her the image and told her to slow down. She hates that
Thanks on Tesla feedback. Looks like their interior is not as comparable as LS. What do you think of their technology?. I did read some where, some Tesla models have the ability to program suspension based on GPS coordination. In order words, based on certain parts on road, if one wants to stiffens the suspension that could be program. Have you seen that feature?.

Based on my limited research Benz is leading the pack when it comes to technology integration. Any new car sells for more than $80k, they shouldn't even advertise heated seats /steering wheels as a feature. That is dated. Hope Lexus catches up technology with 2018 models.............let see.

Last edited by satiger; 05-07-17 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-07-17, 09:19 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

...and I mean well over 700 miles a day
How on earth are you getting 700 miles a day out of a car that the manufacturer specs at 250 miles before an overnight (220v) charge?
Old 05-07-17, 09:58 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
How on earth are you getting 700 miles a day out of a car that the manufacturer specs at 250 miles before an overnight (220v) charge?
How would you do it with a car? You get gas. It's no different. I get electricity. Each 15 minute stop to charge gets us another 2 to 3 hours driving. The car charges at 350 MPH. How do you think folks drive across the country in 24 hours with Teslas While we're filling up, we hit the restrooms, get drinks and every 3 stop or so sit down for a meal which is typically twice in a 12 hour drive.

Tesla Supercharger map. 120KW Level 3 charging.

Last edited by sorka; 05-07-17 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-07-17, 11:51 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

If I was driving 110 miles a day I'd seriously just consider a normal LS460, you're not going to save anything in gas with the 600, plus with the amount of miles you'll be putting on it you're going to run into more issues. I have friends that own the 600 and they've had some pretty big and expensive problems with the hybrid system. If you're not saving on fuel, why bother? Of course I'm assuming that the 110 mile commute is mostly highway. By the sound of it you keep your vehicles a long time and put a ton of miles on them...the less complicated the vehicle the better. Just my two cents.
Old 05-07-17, 12:23 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Each 15 minute stop to charge gets us another 2 to 3 hours driving. While we're filling up, we hit the restrooms, get drinks and every 3 stop or so sit down for a meal which is typically twice in a 12 hour drive.
Ah, OK. Love the car but can't be bothered to plan out my drives in that much detail!
Old 05-08-17, 12:39 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by satiger
I did read some where, some Tesla models have the ability to program suspension based on GPS coordination. In order words, based on certain parts on road, if one wants to stiffens the suspension that could be program. Have you seen that feature?.
The suspension on the Model S doesn't have any firmness control at all. The only adjustment you can make on the suspension is the height. The height can be geofenced. For instance, when you raise the suspension to handle a steep driveway curb or a parking location with curbs or wheel stops, the car will remember where you raised the suspension and it will do so each time you return to the location. It does this automatically. If you don't want it to remember the height you select based on location, you can press the "auto save" x to strike it out and it will only be temporary and not permanent for that location.
Old 05-08-17, 01:03 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Ah, OK. Love the car but can't be bothered to plan out my drives in that much detail!
Neither can I. That's why I let the Tesla nav plan out the charging stops. Based on the route, it tells me where I should stop and how long I'll need to charge at each stop. So far it hasn't been any more inconvenient than driving our Prius on the same long trips.
Old 05-08-17, 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Neither can I. That's why I let the Tesla nav plan out the charging stops. Based on the route, it tells me where I should stop and how long I'll need to charge at each stop. So far it hasn't been any more inconvenient than driving our Prius on the same long trips.
Until you're able to stop and fully charge as conveniently and quickly as with a gas fuel up (i.e, chargers everywhere, a full charge in ~ 5min) you will always have people like sktn, and me, who can't integrate an electric car into their daily lives. For instance, I just got back from a long trip in my LS, I drove 330 miles there, never stopped. Had 1/3rd of a tank left when I got there. Bummed around some while I was there (my cousin drove us around mostly because we went to places where I wouldn't want to take the LS). Its rural there, in the mountains. We rented a small cabin (no place to charge it). Yesterday got up, ran around some more. Fueled up at about 1/8th tank. Drove all the way home 330 miles, and the car has again about 1/3rd tank left. So my total time spent fueling for this entire trip of about 700 miles driving the LS was about 3 minutes yesterday afternoon. The only concern for me is how filthy the car is lol.

I would not have felt comfortable in a Tesla for this trip, even if it would have physically been possible.

For people like you to whom the technology is important and impressive, you're willing to put up with some inconvenience to be driving a Tesla (that includes range anxiety, planning charging solutions, driving a car thats interior and refinement levels on the road are lacking commensurate with its price), people like us aren't. They have a way to go before they're going to sell an EV car to folks like us.

Although I will say, we walked out of a little restaurant in the mountains of southern WV, and there sat a Tesla! I was shocked...

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-08-17 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-08-17, 07:45 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

With how comfortable Tesla seats are you need to stop every 2 hours to stretch and maybe take some pain medication. Especially the back. I have been in compact cars with a better backseat then the Tesla. If I'm alone I can easily drive 4 - 5 hours before stopping. And with massage front seats...
Old 05-08-17, 07:52 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Until you're able to stop and fully charge as conveniently and quickly as with a gas fuel up (i.e, chargers everywhere, a full charge in ~ 5min) you will always have people like sktn, and me, who can't integrate an electric car into their daily lives. For instance, I just got back from a long trip in my LS, I drove 330 miles there, never stopped. Had 1/3rd of a tank left when I got there. Bummed around some while I was there (my cousin drove us around mostly because we went to places where I wouldn't want to take the LS). Its rural there, in the mountains. We rented a small cabin (no place to charge it). Yesterday got up, ran around some more. Fueled up at about 1/8th tank. Drove all the way home 330 miles, and the car has again about 1/3rd tank left. So my total time spent fueling for this entire trip of about 700 miles driving the LS was about 3 minutes yesterday afternoon. The only concern for me is how filthy the car is lol.

I would not have felt comfortable in a Tesla for this trip, even if it would have physically been possible.

For people like you to whom the technology is important and impressive, you're willing to put up with some inconvenience to be driving a Tesla (that includes range anxiety, planning charging solutions, driving a car thats interior and refinement levels on the road are lacking commensurate with its price), people like us aren't. They have a way to go before they're going to sell an EV car to folks like us.

Although I will say, we walked out of a little restaurant in the mountains of southern WV, and there sat a Tesla! I was shocked...
If you look hard enough, you'll always be able to find some scenario where you think something won't work because of something else. In this case, I suspect it's not even true. I myself have a cabin that's about 220 miles away located deep in the mountains. (now it turns out there is a supercharger along the way in Groveland, CA, but I don't even need to use it because I can plug into 110v and trickle charge over night while I'm at the cabin. In our Prius, we'd have stop for gas at some time, but in the Tesla we end up never stopping for gas on these 450+ mile round trips. We leave from home fully charged. We leave from there fully charge.

Same with my crazy long *** commute to work. I leave home 80% charged(I don't need a full charge). I leave work 80% charged. I save time over my 280 mile roundtrip commute by not ever needing to stop at a fueling station. Week after week I save myself all of these stops that I'd normally have to do in a gas car because I end up fueling at the end points.

I too had reservations and came up with scenarios where a long range BEV wouldn't work for me when I was vetting the purchase. In reality, it turned out non of them were issues. Those 5 minute stops were never 5 minute stops. They were always 10 to 15 minutes stops even before the Tesla, so in reality we don't actually take longer to charge on trips but we spend less time filling up on medium long trips now because we will up at the end points rather than some point along the way.
Old 05-08-17, 07:56 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
With how comfortable Tesla seats are you need to stop every 2 hours to stretch and maybe take some pain medication. Especially the back. I have been in compact cars with a better backseat then the Tesla. If I'm alone I can easily drive 4 - 5 hours before stopping. And with massage front seats...
The first seats sucked and are far worse than our Prius. The Next Gen seats are 10 times better and are better than most cars. The third generation seats comfort wise are better than our SC430 seats by far. The Lexus still has better fit and finish and better quality materials, but the seats the current seats in Tesla's are pretty awesome.