Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

2008 LS600hL Transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 06:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Yannick
Well, they didn't answer on my last mail so I just called them instead, they would not cover the cost of the diagnostic and they pretty much confirmed that they wouldn't pay for anything, they just hoped that it could be something else that doesn't cost as much, figures.
The cost of a new transmission is 10k without the labor, the part alone is worth as much as the car, so yeah, not going to bother bringing them the car, it will be sold for export and probably gutted for parts. Sad, but honestly at this point even a Fiat has been more reliable than this car, that will be my last Lexus for a while as I'm seeing more and more recalls in the news, I'm done.
I guess you’ll have to move on to something else.
Old 02-26-20, 10:48 AM
TANORWAY
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Talidtb
Damnn that sucks man. I have a 600 as well in the US and yes they do have issues but they are really good cars. Surprised another transmission went out on a 600. Did u ever have your transmission serviced? Fluid changed or flushed?
dont worry, my LS600HL 2013 has been bulletproof with zero problems. Talked with a Toyota mechanic who has been working on Toyota/lexus hybrids in Norway since 2003. Over 99% of all Toyota/Lexus vehicles in Norway are Hybrid cars, and only 3 hybrid battery packs has been replaced since 2003. He had in fact never worked on any hybrid systems in Toyota/lexus products. He did know about one prius with almost 800.000 miles with same battery.
Old 02-27-20, 01:01 AM
Yannick
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I guess you’ll have to move on to something else.
Of course I'm not going to buy a Fiat that would be just asking for trouble, but given the failures of this car I'm quite pissed at Lexus, even if I just got the worst possible kind of unicorn, but with the repairs that had to be done on it, I could easily have bought a second car for that. I'm not talking 2k or 3k repairs either, while the rotted mufflers can be expected with our salted streets, that's 4-5k already, add the AC compressor and computer, that's another 9k-10k, I was able to avoid a lot of costs changing the brake pads and rotors myself importing parts from outside Switzerland (for some reason we have ridiculously jacked up prices, 5 times more than Europe, yikes) as well as doing the engine oil and filter change, but all in all for a bit more than 5 years and 50k miles, the car cost way over 50k by itself (35k buy price), it's a bit ridiculous by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 02-27-20, 01:39 AM
TANORWAY
Driver

Of course I'm not going to buy a Fiat that would be just asking for trouble, but given the failures of this car I'm quite pissed at Lexus, even if I just got the worst possible kind of unicorn, but with the repairs that had to be done on it, I could easily have bought a second car for that. I'm not talking 2k or 3k repairs either, while the rotted mufflers can be expected with our salted streets, that's 4-5k already, add the AC compressor and computer, that's another 9k-10k, I was able to avoid a lot of costs changing the brake pads and rotors myself importing parts from outside Switzerland (for some reason we have ridiculously jacked up prices, 5 times more than Europe, yikes) as well as doing the engine oil and filter change, but all in all for a bit more than 5 years and 50k miles, the car cost way over 50k by itself (35k buy price), it's a bit ridiculous by any stretch of the imagination.
I will say you have been unlucky, because my 2013 LS600HL has never had a problem outside changing pads and rotors after 7 years/ 130.000 miles.it is ranked as one of the most reliable cars. Every car can get problems, but across the board this cars are bulletproof👍

Last edited by TANORWAY; 04-20-20 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-27-20, 03:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

It’s an old, complex car...time to move on to something else. Nothing lasts forever.
Old 02-27-20, 05:56 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Seems like the coupling/clutch is a likely culprit for that type of transmission failure:

Probably cheaper than replacing the transmission. Challenge is to diagnose it since nobody work on those car and expertise is scarce even at the dealership. Everybody just gonna say you probably need a new transmission and everyone gonna decline the outrageous repair cost so those car are not getting repaired and thus no expertise is gained on repairing them.

Those hybrid are gonna get even more rare on the road
Old 02-27-20, 06:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It is unfortunate. That is a lot of money for a used car. I think the 600h was about $140K, you’d have to have some seriously cake to play around with repairs and maintenance and that price point....and that point, it should be a hobby and leisure to own one of those models... For example, we have older body on frame SUVs from Toyota, they cost a fortune or maintain, repair, and fuel. But they are hobbies for both of us.

I really don’t expect Lexus to step up and help any used buyer with the repair, maybe, just maybe they would help the original buyer.
Old 02-27-20, 07:52 AM
TANORWAY
Driver

It is unfortunate. That is a lot of money for a used car. I think the 600h was about $140K, you’d have to have some seriously cake to play around with repairs and maintenance and that price point....and that point, it should be a hobby and leisure to own one of those models... For example, we have older body on frame SUVs from Toyota, they cost a fortune or maintain, repair, and fuel. But they are hobbies for both of us.

I really don’t expect Lexus to step up and help any used buyer with the repair, maybe, just maybe they would help the original buyer.
Yes and no. My 2013 600HL is a daily driver and I drive it 18 miles everyday with zero problems , now with 130.000 miles. My Land Cruiser 200 Diesel 2012 with 400.000 miles has only had a rear height level regulator sensor replaced.. I should be more afraid to own a normaly priced BMW,AUDI ect then a Lexus flagship.

Last edited by TANORWAY; 04-20-20 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-27-20, 05:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TANORWAY
Yes and no. My 2013 600HL is a daily driver and I drive it 18 miles everyday with zero problems , now with 101.000 miles. My Land Cruiser 200 Diesel 2012 with 400.000 miles has only had a rear height level regulator sensor replaced.. I should be more afraid to own a normaly priced BMW,AUDI ect then a Lexus flagship.
I was not trying to imply that the LS600 was unreliable. I just think that at the price point it is at, with the amount of technology it has, one needs to be to ready and have the $$$ to run and repair one out of warranty.
Old 02-28-20, 03:41 AM
TANORWAY
Driver

I was not trying to imply that the LS600 was unreliable. I just think that at the price point it is at, with the amount of technology it has, one needs to be to ready and have the $$$ to run and repair one out of warranty.
I just think people overreact how technical the car is, how even Lexus dealers are scared to touch the car. My car is serviced by a small local Toyota dealer without any problems. The only huge problem you can run into is the air suspension and the 4000$ battery, if they brake, something that is extremely rare. Maybe people in US are more scared about hybrids, but in EU Toyota hybrids are everywhere and we know they are bulletproof.
Old 02-28-20, 03:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I just think people overreact how technical the car is, how even Lexus dealers are scared to touch the car. My car is serviced by a small local Toyota dealer without any problems. The only huge problem you can run into is the air suspension and the 4000$ battery, if they brake, something that is extremely rare. Maybe people in US are more scared about hybrids, but in EU Toyota hybrids are everywhere and we know they are bulletproof.
The car is very technical, thats not a disputable fact. There are other problems than just that, hybrid battery is a huge potential cost, inverters, we have a member here who is paying $2,500 to replace an 02 sensor because of the design of the exhaust manifold. It's just something you have to be prepared for, there are many more potential huge repair bills in an LS600 than in an LS460.

Toyota hybrids are everywhere too, but the LS600h is not just another Toyota hybrid.
Old 02-29-20, 05:32 AM
TANORWAY
Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The car is very technical, thats not a disputable fact. There are other problems than just that, hybrid battery is a huge potential cost, inverters, we have a member here who is paying $2,500 to replace an 02 sensor because of the design of the exhaust manifold. It's just something you have to be prepared for, there are many more potential huge repair bills in an LS600 than in an LS460.

Toyota hybrids are everywhere too, but the LS600h is not just another Toyota hybrid.
if I can get 10 years/ 150.000 problem free miles, heeey I will be happy. I have no problem to pay to hold this car on the road, because the new LS is ugly and without a V8. Money pits exist everywhere from cheap to expensive cars. If the engine ect blows up in a VW golf, it will also hurt he owner hard. But anyway, if you can afford a 600H, they are the king of all LS.
Old 02-29-20, 04:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

if I can get 10 years/ 150.000 problem free miles, heeey I will be happy. I have no problem to pay to hold this car on the road, because the new LS is ugly and without a V8. Money pits exist everywhere from cheap to expensive cars. If the engine ect blows up in a VW golf, it will also hurt he owner hard. But anyway, if you can afford a 600H, they are the king of all LS.
But you may seriously encounter $5k+ failures in that 10 years 150k miles. Thats something someone who buys one has to be prepared for.
Old 03-02-20, 04:56 AM
TANORWAY
Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But you may seriously encounter $5k+ failures in that 10 years 150k miles. Thats something someone who buys one has to be prepared for.
Of course, but $5k isn't that bad, it almost cost $4000-6000 to change two turbos in a budget car, the last bill I got on my 2015 Tesla Model S was $13735
Old 03-02-20, 05:10 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,193 Likes on 887 Posts

Of course, but $5k isn't that bad, it almost cost $4000-6000 to change two turbos in a budget car, the last bill I got on my 2015 Tesla Model S was $13735
What the hell happened with your Tesla? That's kinda abnormal......

Quick Reply: 2008 LS600hL Transmission failure