Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

2008 LS600hL Transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-17, 12:52 PM
rkuppuraj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2008 LS600hL Transmission failure

My 2008 ls600hl just stalled on the road (about 110K miles). Bunch of error messages, including transmission, hybrid system, etc. popped up. After two days of "diagnosis" the Lexus dealer says it needs a new transmission - $14K!!!!! Anyone else with this experience- HELP!
Old 03-27-17, 01:01 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Unfortunately I believe the transmission in the 600 is different than the 460 (and I want to say I've heard of one other member with a tranny failure).

I'd try to find myself a used unit online, I mean why not if they're telling you it's going to be $14,000? I mean what's that car worth right now? Twenty five grand? Less? You don't have a lot to lose by looking into a used unit and having an independent put it...or even the dealer. Or call Lexus corporate, maybe they can help you out.
Old 03-27-17, 01:04 PM
rkuppuraj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks - we've loved the car. Zero issues so far. Will be scouting for a re-man. Wonder how much labor should be..
Old 03-27-17, 01:07 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rkuppuraj
My 2008 ls600hl just stalled on the road (about 110K miles). Bunch of error messages, including transmission, hybrid system, etc. popped up. After two days of "diagnosis" the Lexus dealer says it needs a new transmission - $14K!!!!! Anyone else with this experience- HELP!
Wow! I am very, very sorry to hear that this has happened. But I have to admit that I'm shocked.
How was the car driving previous to the stall? Were there any indications that the car had any issues? I wasn't aware a tranny could simply stall w/o any indication and/or warning signs.
I could be way out of line by saying this, but I'll go ahead and say it...
Given that this car is a hybrid, I would immediately begin dialogue with Lexus Corporate.
Although this is a 9 year old vehicle, its still the most coveted sedan in the Lexus line-up; the "Flagship of the flagship", and 110k (~12.2k/yr) isn't that many miles.
Something has to have been an issue, indications or something...
Old 03-27-17, 01:10 PM
LVPUNK
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a second a opinion with an Indy asap.

14k...c'mon.
Old 03-27-17, 01:20 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LVPUNK
Get a second a opinion with an Indy asap.

14k...c'mon.
True, $14k is steep, as this goes along with what Doublebase has stated. Personally, I would take a few routes, so as to have a comparison for your own piece of mind, which ultimately, is the most important.

1.Contact L.C.
2. Look for re-built 600 trannys (probably very scarce)
3. Begin your hunt for a reputable indy shop who wont be afraid to deal with the tranny on a hybrid-re-built or repair
4. Worse case scenario, begin a car search

Granted, its a lot, but the sooner your process begins, the sooner a remedy will reveal itself.
I'm sorry this has happened, but please do keep us all posted.
It will all work out for the best.
Old 03-27-17, 02:05 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Oh boy, sorry to hear that. Honestly I am shocked to see Lexus flagship runs into transmission issue . As CRowe states, starts the dialog with Lexus Corp, nothing to loose. Considering its 600, hope they cover 'something'.

Did you get any extended warranty when purchased?. Where do to take the car for regular service/maintenance?.
Old 03-27-17, 02:14 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Did you have any recent work done? Even if it's completely unrelated.
Old 03-27-17, 02:29 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

This is the first reported failure of a LS600hL transmission (that I can find). This must be an outlier, or we would have heard of other failures along the way. There aren't that many 600hLs out there, but I constantly see 2008's for sale with 150K+ miles (on AutoTrader). I like to review the Lexus service histories of these high-mileage cars to get a feel for common problems. I see a few Hybrid Battery replacements in the 150K mile cars, but I can't recall ever seeing a transmission replacement.

Please keep us posted. Lots of LS600 owners on the forum that will be curious how you come out!
Old 03-27-17, 03:00 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

thanks - we've loved the car. Zero issues so far. Will be scouting for a re-man. Wonder how much labor should be..
​​​​​​​If it's a rear wheel drive car maybe 10 hours.
Old 03-27-17, 06:15 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts

Sorry to hear this. I also believe you should seek a second opinion: not only because of the price tag, but also because from everything I have read and discussed with folks in the field, that transmission is supposed to be built like a tank. Could it fail? Of course, but catastrophic failure at that mileage seems odd.

Separately, some time ago, I did hear through the Lexus grapevine of a 600 that was a limo, driven in stop and go traffic in NY, which had a failure. I cannot remember specifics, but the failure was not the transmission per se but some clutches (I believe) that were chewed up. This is all anecdotal, unfortunately, but the point is that a second opinion would not hurt.

I am local (and well, also have a 600); what dealer is your car at?
Old 03-27-17, 07:09 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

I wouldn't do anything until you get the car towed to another mechanic for a second diagnosis
Old 03-28-17, 02:55 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I would contact Lexus corp first, as I know when I had my Hybrid GS there was a member who contacted Lexus and they good-will'd the part and he had to pay for just for labor because they did not want to be known for there battery's going out in there hybrids. Although different similar situations, I would suggest this since pretty sure this is the first ive heard of the LS 600hl needing a transmission.
Old 03-28-17, 05:53 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I wouldn't do anything until you get the car towed to another mechanic for a second diagnosis

I tend to agree to all "second opinion" needed posts...

Reaon is.... a dealer will not get into fixing parts. They replace it. And if Lexus doesn't manufacture individual pieces of a bigger part, they will sell the entire part.

As an example, let's say your alternator dies. Typically, it's only the brush inside that needs to be replaced. Dealers will not remove the alternator, open it up to replace that 5$ brush. They don't want to, and they don't have the brush as a standalone part. They will sell you a brand new complete alternator...

I believe you issue might be with one of those transmission parts and don't need to replace the whole thing...
Old 03-28-17, 06:48 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
True, $14k is steep, as this goes along with what Doublebase has stated. Personally, I would take a few routes, so as to have a comparison for your own piece of mind, which ultimately, is the most important.

1.Contact L.C.
2. Look for re-built 600 trannys (probably very scarce)
3. Begin your hunt for a reputable indy shop who wont be afraid to deal with the tranny on a hybrid-re-built or repair
4. Worse case scenario, begin a car search

Granted, its a lot, but the sooner your process begins, the sooner a remedy will reveal itself.
I'm sorry this has happened, but please do keep us all posted.
It will all work out for the best.
Although the OP is very far away from Texas, I know a Lexus Certified Tech that isn't afraid to deal with that trans. He has a track record in the industry.

Jason Phan at http://www.jpeuro.com
The shop is in Garland TX. If the car is found to need a rebuild on the trans, OP would be further ahead to ship the car to Jason and fly down to pick it up when it is done at $14,000 for the repair. Jason would likely be MILES under that

Quick Reply: 2008 LS600hL Transmission failure