Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Battery ES300H

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 07:04 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

You can't jump start the hybrid because the 12 V battery isn't used for that purpose. As previously mentioned, the engine is started using the MG1 motor being spun up by the big traction battery behind the seats. The hybrid doesn't have an alternator either, the 12 V battery is charged by the big battery pack.

Technically the hybrid doesn't even need the small battery because the big battery can supply 12 V directly. Maybe it's to simplify existing wiring and to reduce costs by sharing electricals with non-hybrid models.
Old 09-14-18, 07:17 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 848 Likes on 641 Posts

You can jump a hybrid with either the jump points under the hood (in the fuse panel box)
or right on the terminals under the cover on the trunk right side. What is different from a
conventional set up is that the 288vdc traction battery is doing the actual work of spinning
the MG that is attached to the IC motor. All the 12vdc battery is doing is closing a relay to
enable that to happen. Dead 12v...no action. The observation that the 12v battery has a
smaller CCA rating than we are used to is related to the real use of the 12v is limited to just
the low draw systems such as the LED lights, Nav/Stereo, windshield wiper/washers and the
biggest draw, the rear window defogger!
Old 09-14-18, 07:19 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, I used my battery charger connected to trunk battery to start and go to dealer. I didn't use my volt meter.

fyi
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/97...age=523#manual

theres also instructions to jump under hood

Last edited by mrBillFL; 09-14-18 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-14-18, 08:17 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I was wrong, looks like it's possible to jump the 12V battery on the hybrid. I checked my old version of the manual and it's in the Emergency Procedures section.

Is it just like jumpstarting a normal car? I've got a lithium ion charger pack for another car that could possibly be used on the hybrid.

Last edited by chromedome; 09-14-18 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-15-18, 05:14 PM
htd4555
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My ES300h is approaching the 5 year mark so I just checked on the battery condition. I got a reading of 12.6 V and 551 CCA. The car has been sitting for a day with the ambient temperature of 70 F.

Old 02-06-19, 06:07 PM
Frmmli
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here is the perfect solution for the 12v battery replacement

Originally Posted by shaz85
Looks like the 12V battery in the trunk of my car has been completely drained. I called Lexus and they said the new one was $375.00 something. Has anyone gotten it from somewhere else for cheaper?
Solution I am writing should be for the Gen 6 ES300H. I have just figured it out and replaced mine. Currently the dealer want $680 installed and buying from dealer Parts Dept to DIY is about $580, a little less if you buy the Toyota Camry replacement but absolutely no warranty.

​​​​ The perfect fit solution is a group 24 AGM battery. (Not 24F which reverses the polarity and doable but why! Also absolutely must be AGM. I skip explanation here. It should also have a builtin vent hole to hook back up the original exhaust hose. The battery is 'sealed' but the gas from the electrochemical process needs to exit out of the trunk. I will skip further explanations here.). The perfect buy is the Exide FP-AGM24 (18 April 2019 - I am updaing my recommendation: I am pretty sure that Exide MX24 is now the replacement for the recently discontinued FP-AGM24 I used. You can shop for the MX24. See other comments on where else to get this battery other than CARiD) 4 year warranty. It came with vent hole in front end and rear end, one plug to use on the end not used and a L-shape elbow which the Lexus hose plugs right into. Mine is about $200 after shipment from CARiD, and they can do Paypal. Note: They sell on eBay but hard to find them that way and they do not show up based on the battery number. So, just Google for them and call. Here is the most important thing to KNOW. If you ask Exide directly or CARiD to key in your makes and models, they will swear there is nothing they can offer. On CARiD site if you do it on line, that battery number is matched only to the GS and you have to pretend that's what you have. Why, I will venture my explanations later on.

How? Super easy. All you need is a 10mm wrench. See photos, I will skip detailed instructions, and it is just that simple. Push two snaps on top of battery door on right side of trunk and remove door. Take note the red positive post is in the front, and the post is the larger diameter one. Suggest you take a pic first if not experienced. Remove the nut and the bolt on the hold down bracket. Unplug the vent elbow from battery and remove it from the hose. Loosen the two cable clamps a little and remove from posts. Swap battery, reconnect and install clamp. The bracket should hold down the battery but not way overtightened to deform the battery housing. Move the plastic plug from the rear vent hole to the front. Plug the Exide elbow into original hose and plug in the rear vent hole. Put on batt cables and tighten the clamps .

you will have to Reset a few things in the car since you have cut off power for a while. Not a big deal. Note, on this car, your car computers are not affected and will not lose programs. Don't have to see the dealer after your DIY. If you want to avoid having to reset those few things, you have to get fancy and use cables to keep powering the car,

The L elbow on top is the old one. Can throw away.
utilizing the two batteries you have, if the old one is not totally dead.

I will not explain about the ES300H not showing up until I have time with another message.

Last edited by Frmmli; 04-18-19 at 03:37 PM. Reason: updating info on the battery model based on inputs from other memebers.
The following 5 users liked this post by Frmmli:
gamma742 (04-11-19), GES (02-06-19), mcomer (02-08-19), mrBillFL (04-08-19), Rafadog (03-01-19)
Old 02-06-19, 06:44 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Good to know that there is an AGM battery that fits and much cheaper than what the dealer is charging. $680 for 12 v battery from the dealer is ridiculous. $200 is much better price.
My 12 v battery is 6 + years old but still tested good couple months ago.
Old 02-06-19, 09:57 PM
Frmmli
Driver School Candidate

Default Further comments - background info

Well members, if you have to learn this one like I did, this battery is NOT the one to power turn the starter, as another member has explained, and when you suddenly find the start button not powering up the hybrid, you intuitively think that it is something you did wrong in throwing off the start up sequence or the battery is not having enough 'juice'/charge to crank therefore the system shuts you off from going into the 'run' position. You call the dealer, the service writer who usually do not know much will spin you a few times and tell you to tow the car in for checking and will not even hint that you check for a flat battery first. You will come out with a $700 paycut after a nice free cup of coffee! I did not do that though. To 'jump'the car is super easy, 1) open the battery door in the trunk as shown in the pic and I will think practically anything that can supply somewhat a 12 volt to the terminals such as with jumper cable with another car or battery, I suspect even a small car charger will be enough, and you are just trying to boot up the car's computerized control system. When the charge is too low, the boot up is aborted and you cannot put the hybrid/car in run position => nothing seems to happen. You call for road side assistance/tow truck, they come by wiht the portable poer pack and 'jump; your battery to overcome that in seconds. nless you are in the really country side somewhere, most seasoned road side assistance has experience with the Prius to know how to jump wihtout screwing things up 2) under the hood, pop open the fuse box and there is a small +terminal. You can Google for that. I will not go throught the details becasue the trunk approach is more straighforward and intuitive for carefree DIY. Basically hook up the +ve power to that terminal and the negative to ground like a bolt or any bear metal in the engine compartment.

The battery just degrades with time, and there is not much prior notice. Then it just happened, In my case, it is exposed from leaving my radio on for a while in the auxiary position(car not in the run position). Suddenly when I wanted to power up and drive off, it acted strange and would not go into run position signaled by the infoentertainment screen going dark. That is actually from my battery already being in the last leg and having a tiny capacity enough for booting up the system day-in-day-out normally therefore allowing the car to go to run position, when the hybrid battery will take up the powering of everything. If you do not drain the battery just by that much to get that surprise, everything will look great and you will not know it is on the ast leg. Yes, a battery load test will tell but who will go for a load test when there is no symptom. This vehicle is maintained by the dealer and obviously they do not test your battery at any of the periodic maintanance. May be a free test is what you can ask for on your next visit or find a place which will do that for free like AutoZone, Sears Auto, when your car has about 5 years and more than 60,000 miles.

What I did not get to do earlier: The original Panasonic battery is group D26 (in JIS), the Japanese standard, and that is not BCI 26. There is no direct conversion to BCI. I think is the likely reason for Exide (and even all of the other very few AGM battery manufacturers including DieHard) to not showing a match, It is that the lazy person at Exide not wanting to go that one more step to manually compare a few dozen JIS against BCI to find a close enough match that can retrofit. Anyway, the BCI group that happens to be just a little smaller in one dimension or two but the height is identical, is group 24 and it is practically the same/perfect fit. JIS has a subfix like the F like D26F to designate the left right swap of the posts. You want JIS 26 or BCI 24 not BCI 24F even though you can order the Exide AGM24F from HomeDepot. The 24 fits in the car's battery craddle very well. One more catch with AGM of other brands including DieHard is the absence of the vent hole. That is avery difficult piece of info to verify over the phone or online!!!

I did not even bother with comparing the CCA spec since this thing is not used for cranking. I only look at the total Amp.Hr/Ah. The Exicde FP-AGM24 has an Amp.hr just a little higher than the original Panasonic. I am too lazy to find those numbers again. That little more does not hurt but not a huge bonus. Well, will see if this thing will last, under the warranty of 4 years! We are also at the mercy of the Lexus design in terms of how high a charging voltage they will put on this battery, for some reason there is no temperature sensor on the Lexus vs that Camry Hybrid which seems to have one per some YouTubes, and how good is the hybrid battery in keeping this batter at at least 80% charge most of the time...SHor to quality issue, I expect this thing to last about 5 years like the Panasonic!
The following 2 users liked this post by Frmmli:
CareAllend (07-11-19), mrBillFL (04-08-19)
Old 02-07-19, 07:54 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Frmmli
On CARiD site if you do it on line, that battery number is matched only to the GS and you have to pretend that's what you have. .

What year is your ES300h?

and What what year GS did you pretend to have and was it the 350 or the 450h?

Thanks~
Old 02-07-19, 08:45 AM
Frmmli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gamma742
What year is your ES300h?

and What what year GS did you pretend to have and was it the 350 or the 450h?

Thanks~
Answer: Mine 2014. Pretended to be 2014 GS350.

I recall, if accurate enough: since I know the exact battery number, I searched on their site for it, moved towards ordering, it gave a drop down asking me for year/makes/model and I had to get through that first. ES300H did not work, and the 2014 GS was allowed.

Good luck. Ordering over the phone is the same price. Note, the prices shown is lower than the approx $200 almost implying shipping is included but the real price at checkout will get you to almost $200 as on mine. No core charge. To get rid of the old battery, any AutoZone type places will take it but I do not think they will pay you back anything!!
​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 02-07-19, 09:20 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

They are currently out of stock, I need to change out my battery Before it becomes a problem. Thanks for all your research.
Old 02-07-19, 09:44 AM
Frmmli
Driver School Candidate

They are currently out of stock, I need to change out my battery Before it becomes a problem. Thanks for all your research.
Idea. Order the 24F from Home Depot. All instructions the same except you have to pull/push the two battery cables towards the fender to reach the posts but doable. It is because your posts are now not on the trunk side but closer to the side of the car/fender, if you know what I mean. Just make sure to bent the cables to avoid too much straint is my opinion.
Old 02-09-19, 07:09 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

I didn't know Home Depot sold car batteries?? I'll have to look into that. My main concern would be that this battery has the hose vent.
Old 02-09-19, 07:37 AM
Frmmli
Driver School Candidate

I didn't know Home Depot sold car batteries?? I'll have to look into that. My main concern would be that this battery has the hose vent.
Online order only but can pick up in store and returnable at store. Only the 24F and certain models but NOT 24. Not targeted at auto but rather marine, etc. Yes, either the 24 or 24f has vents on both ends and the plug to close off United end.
The following users liked this post:
Rafadog (03-01-19)
Old 04-02-19, 01:50 PM
rsiva97229
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Frmmli et. al
Your post above on the closest equivalent ES300h agm battery (Exide) makes interesting reading and I commend your research and advice on the topic.
I have a 2014 ES300h and the battery looks good at 60K so far. However, I am starting to think I need to be prepared for the eventuality. The Lexus dealer in Portland, OR is charging $600 for the Panasonic battery. Seems way overpriced and a ripoff to say the least.

I could not get the Exide FP-AGM24 in carid and it is out of stock as of April 2nd, 2019. However since you mentioned Group 24 would work, the Exide MX24 seems to be a plausible candidate (IMO) and Carid has it for $190. The dimensions seems more or less similar to the original battery and the current ratings as well.

Length: 10.2". Width: 6.8". Height: 8.6".

See more details in the link below

https://www.carid.com/exide/marathon-max-agm-battery-mpn-mx24.html

Exide MX-24 (from carid)

Can you pl let know if this will work for the car. The venting holes, we cannot see in the picture. There is no side view of the battery. I called up the carid rep and he said that it does have the holes but will work only for the GS. (this point you mentioned above in the thread that to order, we need to call the car as GS and not ES300h).

If I have your blessings on this battery, I can give it a shot when my current one starts to show signs of weakness. The terminal orientation (+ on left and - on right) seems perfect as well for the MX24 unlike the 24F.

Thanks much

Regards

Siva R

Quick Reply: Battery ES300H