Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

My Lexus 450h Warning "Check Hybrid System"

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-19, 09:17 PM
Wezguycsu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check hybrid system

Hey everyone. New to the forums but had a question about my used 2011 RX 450h I bought. Has 150k miles but has been serviced regularly. When I first brought it home about 3 miles from my house the dreaded "check hybrid system" light came on. The next day as I was taking to mechanic the light turned off. Mechanic checked scan tool and not only did the code not show up again but it was as if the code had never shown up. After signing up for Lexus owners website I saw service history and saw that car has had this error twice before and both times dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the car (which struck me as odd because why would a dealer not want to repair a big ticket item like hybrid batteries)

Sorry for the long story but was curious if anyone else has had issues like this and if so did you ultimately find out what it was? Hoping I didn't buy the one unreliable Lexus.

Thanks

Chris
Old 11-30-19, 12:48 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I just got the "Check Hybrid System" error on our 2013 RX450h. The car initially was able to be driven
around the block and the ICE shut down after about 30 seconds and refused to come back on ...... So I drove around the block on EV and depleted the traction battery to around 20% remaining. Now it won't go anywhere

The car has around 65K miles as I recall. Hopefully will still be under warranty???

​​​​​​Changed out a new 12 volt battery and still the same.

I'm going to the Lexus dealership in the morning and see.

Wish me luck.

Originally Posted by Wezguycsu
Hey everyone. New to the forums but had a question about my used 2011 RX 450h I bought. Has 150k miles but has been serviced regularly. When I first brought it home about 3 miles from my house the dreaded "check hybrid system" light came on. The next day as I was taking to mechanic the light turned off. Mechanic checked scan tool and not only did the code not show up again but it was as if the code had never shown up. After signing up for Lexus owners website I saw service history and saw that car has had this error twice before and both times dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the car (which struck me as odd because why would a dealer not want to repair a big ticket item like hybrid batteries)

Sorry for the long story but was curious if anyone else has had issues like this and if so did you ultimately find out what it was? Hoping I didn't buy the one unreliable Lexus.

Thanks

Chris

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-30-19 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-01-19, 12:50 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I heard back from the Lexus dealership. So far they found some wires got chewed up by rodents!!!

More to follow as I get more information......

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I just got the "Check Hybrid System" error on our 2013 RX450h. The car initially was able to be driven
around the block and the ICE shut down after about 30 seconds and refused to come back on ...... So I drove around the block on EV and depleted the traction battery to around 20% remaining. Now it won't go anywhere

The car has around 65K miles as I recall. Hopefully will still be under warranty???

​​​​​​Changed out a new 12 volt battery and still the same.

I'm going to the Lexus dealership in the morning and see.

Wish me luck.
Old 12-03-19, 05:29 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 606 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I heard back from the Lexus dealership. So far they found some wires got chewed up by rodents!!!
I guess you know how to lay out a good holiday feast!
Old 12-03-19, 09:48 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Those D@Mn RATS!!!

That feast costs some three Franklin's!!!

Maybe I'll go and get some CATS!!!

Originally Posted by Droid13
I guess you know how to lay out a good holiday feast!
Old 03-17-20, 05:21 PM
spiros
Driver

can you tell me were this harness is located?
Old 04-24-20, 08:10 PM
spiros
Driver

can you get a wider view of the wiring area i would like to know the harness to check thanks
Old 04-25-20, 09:05 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

If your rodents chewed exactly at the same spot then you will have the same failure, but likely hood of that is very low. You have to explore on your own. I would focus on the area around the glove compartment [engine side] and next to the fire wall. Those critters are driven in the search of living space [favorite being the glove compartment] and the smell of copper wires.

Salim
Old 04-27-20, 12:38 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The pic was taken by the Lexus dealership before the repair. Sorry.
​​​​​​
I travel a lot (even with the crazy COVID-19. I guess I'm "essential". LOL) and my daughter drives the RX450h and I didn't get a chance to revisit the issue bc it is back to normal. When I get a chance I'll take a picture of wider view. It took a little bit of looking for the tech to locate the damages.

Originally Posted by spiros
can you get a wider view of the wiring area i would like to know the harness to check thanks
The following users liked this post:
spiros (05-05-20)
Old 05-06-20, 06:51 PM
spiros
Driver

i looked everywere cant find any loose or chewed up wires
Old 05-25-20, 09:13 PM
argonfatl
Rookie

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Rx450h 2010 p0A92 p0A7A problem

Hi everyone, I have a Lexus RX 450h with 110k miles. And recently I got “check hybrid system” message. So I scanned with techstream and it gave me two error codes. And the car can drive on gas engine, but when it tries to engage the electric engine it stalls out. But I can drive on electrical only. I think it’s a position sensor. Any ideas?

Old 07-25-20, 01:03 PM
douglassec
Driver School Candidate

Hello

I have a 2011 Lexus RX450H i have the same warning lights. the dealer said i need to replace the hybird motor in the transmission. the coast $8600.00
on a car with only 165,000 on it. now before this car i had 2 volvo S60 each one i drove to over 300,000. before giving them away.This is fy first toyota/Lexus
and my last.
Old 08-04-20, 10:50 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by douglassec
Hello

I have a 2011 Lexus RX450H i have the same warning lights. the dealer said i need to replace the hybird motor in the transmission. the coast $8600.00
on a car with only 165,000 on it. now before this car i had 2 volvo S60 each one i drove to over 300,000. before giving them away.This is fy first toyota/Lexus
and my last.
When you say hybrid motor do you mean the hybrid battery? If you're replacing the hybrid battery then why not go to a shop that will replace it with a renewed one? There are people in Los Angeles that'll do that for $1500 or so. I believe there's a company called greentec that'll do it for 2400. 3 year warranty.
Old 10-15-20, 12:34 PM
sagoleaf
Driver School Candidate

Default Had collision repair and now major issues

Originally Posted by vlad_a

Has your vehicle been repaired from a collision? Improper repairs may have triggered "Pre-Collission System" alarm.

Hello Vlad, I was hoping to get a little insight from you. My driver’s side front door was side swiped, and I took my vehicle to my insurance company’s recommended collision repair shop.

They had my car for a week, and within 4 days/110 miles of driving the car after getting it back from them, it overheated while in use and lost power. I ran a code reader on it and it is now sending off 7 codes, and is completely inoperable. I had no lights/codes/issues when I dropped it off to them.

They did take off my front bumper, headlights, and fog lamps during the process, which seems a little strange for repairs to the drivers door. I feel like they did something to cause these 8 codes and inoperation, but they of course say that they didn’t.

The codes are: P0117, P0327, P0332, P3191, P0302, P0012, P0128

Any help/insight/advice on where to research further, or what could have happened, is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-16-20, 07:19 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 606 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by sagoleaf
The codes are: P0117, P0327, P0332, P3191, P0302, P0012, P0128
A lot of these codes are indications of connection issues. One by itself might be indicative of a sensor failure, but all of these together I suspect they either forgot to properly reconnect some wiring, or accidentally damaged some wiring. It could be as simply as "whoops, just need to plug this back in", or require some in depth wiring troubleshooting. If you were able to drive away initially and failed later, I would first try taking the engine covers off and making sure all the connections near the work area are tight. No wires look damaged.

Quick Reply: My Lexus 450h Warning "Check Hybrid System"