Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

My Lexus 450h Warning "Check Hybrid System"

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21, 05:00 PM
shannam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 rx450h is in the shop for the check hybrid system light came on and car came to a stop and wouldn’t start anymore. Mechanics are telling me my fuel pump needs to be replaced. From the research I’ve been doing it appears the same make and model fuel pump that is currently being recalled for Toyota and Lexus IS the same fuel pump in my car.
Old 01-04-21, 09:05 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 576 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by shannam
the same make and model fuel pump that is currently being recalled for Toyota and Lexus IS the same fuel pump in my car.
It is not necessarily a given that just because the part #s are the same, that the recall is an indication that all fuel pumps across all years across all models will have the same issue. This would certainly be the case if it was a design defect that always existed. The other possibilities are that the published target models and years are indicative of a defect in workmanship or materials for the given part at the time. Things change over time even if the part # doesn't. Suppliers change, materials change, flaws may develop in assembly operations, etc. I'm not sure the exact underlying cause of the defect found on the pumps being recalled, but these fuel pumps were used across a lot of models and years. Just because a 2017 Sienna and a 2010 RX450h (as example) have a compatible fuel pump, doesn't mean the part also experienced the same build quality.
Old 01-04-21, 10:49 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

My 2010 rx450h is in the shop for the check hybrid system light came on and car came to a stop and wouldn’t start anymore. Mechanics are telling me my fuel pump needs to be replaced. From the research I’ve been doing it appears the same make and model fuel pump that is currently being recalled for Toyota and Lexus IS the same fuel pump in my car.
Sometimes that check hybrid system and check abs etc go in a loop if you change something or replace something as a result of some work done.
Do you have any error codes?
Old 01-04-21, 11:50 AM
shannam
Driver School Candidate

Only code is P3190

I have not had any work done on the car.

estimated cost to fix is $2500
Old 01-05-21, 10:14 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Only code is P3190

I have not had any work done on the car.

estimated cost to fix is $2500
Where are you located? I know a very good economical place in Los Angeles.
Old 01-07-21, 09:02 AM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

it’s not part of the fuel pump recall.

Old 07-23-21, 04:30 PM
mushu315
Driver School Candidate

Default Scan Code P04A80 - Check Hybrid System Light

I got a Check Hybrid System light come on the other day. Not sure if this is related, but I got a "Check ABS" light about a week before this.

I have a 2010 450RXh with about 185,000 miles on it. The car still runs fine, but it no longer engages the the hybrid motor. The MPG went from 26 to about 14-15.

Haven't been able to find much information about this... the mechanic I went to today scanned it and got P04A80 Current hybrid battery pack replace.

Anyone experience this? Tips on fix? how much it cost?

Thanks
Old 09-20-21, 12:06 PM
tdott
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a POAA6 code.
I had a Carista Bluetooth dongle and Dr.Prius app. Unfortateunly it doesn't read the detail code to tell you where in the system the fault is. The generic error description is: Hybrid system voltage isolation fault. I think the detail code will tell you where in the system that fault is, but I haven't found a scanner that can read that code. TechStream or watever it's call I think is probably the only one that can, afaik.

My POAA6 code was from water not draining from the battery area, I removed the rubber grommet from under the car in below the battery area and a lot of water drained out. That allows the check hybrid battery error to stay off, it only comes on when there is heavy rain, I just make sure to check the drain and clear the code and it usually goes away.
Old 03-16-22, 05:15 AM
patriciatr
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2011 RX450H with a similar problem. I took a road trip - putting almost 2,000 miles within a weeks time and got an error message "Check Hybrid System" when 250 miles from home. Being a woman alone and having no idea where I was and since it was driving normally with no issues or noises, I chose to keep driving. I got home fine and the warning light was on the entire time. The car has less than 80,000 miles on it and I'm trying to decide if I should bring it to Lexus because I cannot afford the big ticket repair. My son is part owner in a big mechanics shop but is a Land Rover specialty shop (Defenders) and is not familiar with hybrids. Can anybody offer any suggestions? Will it damage my motor to continue driving?
Old 03-16-22, 06:48 AM
tdott
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by patriciatr
My son is part owner in a big mechanics shop but is a Land Rover specialty shop (Defenders) and is not familiar with hybrids. Can anybody offer any suggestions? Will it damage my motor to continue driving?
Have him check the drain under the vehicle in the rear seat area where the battery is.
Could be an issue that water is not draining properly. If he has a scanner that can read the code and clear it, even better.

That was my problem, but no way to know for sure if that is your issue without scanning the code.

If you keep driving it, should not damage anything, since it goes into a safe mode and the hybrid system is not used so fuel consumption will go up.
Old 03-16-22, 08:35 AM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by patriciatr
I have a 2011 RX450H with a similar problem. I took a road trip - putting almost 2,000 miles within a weeks time and got an error message "Check Hybrid System" when 250 miles from home. Being a woman alone and having no idea where I was and since it was driving normally with no issues or noises, I chose to keep driving. I got home fine and the warning light was on the entire time. The car has less than 80,000 miles on it and I'm trying to decide if I should bring it to Lexus because I cannot afford the big ticket repair. My son is part owner in a big mechanics shop but is a Land Rover specialty shop (Defenders) and is not familiar with hybrids. Can anybody offer any suggestions? Will it damage my motor to continue driving?
Definitely do not ignore it. Do a visual front to back and as suggested remove carpeting and trunk panels off and if you feel comfortable remove the plastic engine covers too. Check the fluid levels [coolant for the inverter-converter]. See owner's manual.

Then the question is, who is capable of diagnosing and repairing. Since the problem is in the hybrid system, so at minimum you need a hybrid tech. Lexus rates are high and you should expect them to replace modules rather than dive down to the failing component. Give them a call and shop around. You can always pay Lexus hourly rates to diagnose.

Salim
Old 03-27-22, 03:49 PM
patriciatr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Definitely do not ignore it. Do a visual front to back and as suggested remove carpeting and trunk panels off and if you feel comfortable remove the plastic engine covers too. Check the fluid levels [coolant for the inverter-converter]. See owner's manual.

Then the question is, who is capable of diagnosing and repairing. Since the problem is in the hybrid system, so at minimum you need a hybrid tech. Lexus rates are high and you should expect them to replace modules rather than dive down to the failing component. Give them a call and shop around. You can always pay Lexus hourly rates to diagnose.

Salim
Thank you for the reply with so much information!

Last edited by patriciatr; 03-27-22 at 03:51 PM. Reason: I wasn't finished with it
Old 03-28-22, 07:06 AM
patriciatr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tdott
Have him check the drain under the vehicle in the rear seat area where the battery is.
Could be an issue that water is not draining properly. If he has a scanner that can read the code and clear it, even better.

That was my problem, but no way to know for sure if that is your issue without scanning the code.

If you keep driving it, should not damage anything, since it goes into a safe mode and the hybrid system is not used so fuel consumption will go up.
Thank you so much for the feedback. I will have my son check this out. The code on his scanner did indicate it was the pump that pumps fluid thru the hybrids to keep them cool, but anything is worth a try! Thanks, again.
Old 04-02-22, 12:11 PM
silkyt
Driver School Candidate

Two things I do see are your ABS system. just like mine. Those lights come and go. Those are the lights on the right. Have you tried topping off the antifreeze? That takes my check engine light off. I had a wreck and since then, my ABS lights come and go. I'm supposed to take it back in to get that fixed but the car runs fine.
Old 01-17-23, 11:57 AM
yeehawbob
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Fault Codes -for 2010 RX450h

Does anyone have a list of CODES with their description?
I am getting these codes (below) and not sure what they are, but my 2010 RX 450h is stalling and displaying the "Check Hybrid System" message.

P0A1A
A0A1B
P000
P0A78

TIA

Quick Reply: My Lexus 450h Warning "Check Hybrid System"