Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

My Lexus 450h Warning "Check Hybrid System"

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-24, 06:45 AM
luckyJ
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Masshybrid
I too have an issue with my 2013 Rx450h (180,000 miles) Check Hybrid AND Check Brake SYSTEM dashlights came on, I've searched high and low thru the forums for guidance but no luck. I thought buying a new refurbished hybrid battery would do it (which I did), but post battery install the lights came back on in 12 hours-so its not the battery. I took to dealer, they said I need a new battery/pack for $6500 (just spent $3000 on the refurbished battery). I'm having battery company come back out, but my concern is that there is a separate issue causing the hybrid system to switch off and the dashlights to come on. Car REVS very loudly but still drives, and brakes work fine. Any suggestions on what else to troubleshoot, and/or replace? Also, anyone know any hybrid expert mechanics/shops in Eastern Massachusetts? My local guys wouldn't touch it. Thanks (error code when I went to dealer was POA80, they also said I need to have my timing cover replaced, and because of these 2 big ticket items wouldn't take the car on trade-which sadly is beautiful/spotless inside and out, but wont pass the state inspection with the error lights on!)
hi, can you share from which company you sourced the refurbished battery from please? Also, were you able to get some money back from your original/bad battery?
Old 08-29-24, 11:20 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,107 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by Masshybrid
Originally it didn't pass emissions test because I hadn't driven it enough to flush the emissions unbeknownst to me, but now it wont pass because the dashlights are on. In theory I could reset them, but they likely will come right back on yes?
If the check engine light [different from the hybrid drive issue display] is "on", then most likely you will fail the road worthy emission test. If some one clears the Check engine light, the display may not come back immediately, but even then the testing station will not pass till the vehicle internal monitoring has gone through enough cycles .... referred to as channel not ready. The test that determine vehicle being road worthy have to do with safety and emission. Beyond that what is wrong with the vehicle does not prevent getting a pass.

Some issues will cause immediate setting of the CEL and some are tested again and again. In the repeat test mode, the error is recorded as pending [observed] and they may clear out if it is not observed again or set [lit up] if they are repeated. These pending codes can only be read by the reader.

Note: Speaking about pass/fail, the requirements are different from Sate to State and even county to county in each state. Since I live in Texas, the law has changed where now the safety testing has been eliminated and only emission testing [county based] is the new requirement. The good thing is counties which require emission testing at least state that they will provide assistance in fixing the vehicle. [not sure how and what they do].

Salim
Old 08-29-24, 09:01 PM
luckyJ
Rookie

the strangest thing just happened....I had the 12v battery disconnected for about 4 hours because I worked on getting the rear seats out of the car....I wanted to open up the hybrid battery pack to test voltage on the cell modules....it got pretty late so I had to repark the car....after reconnecting the battery, and as I started moving the car, I realized that I was running on battery mode and there were no warning lights for the hybrid battery anymore....I drove for about 5 miles around town...keeping it under 20 to 25 miles to run on battery only and then speeding up to test that the engine was charging the hybrid battery....the hybrid system is operating normally again...not sure what happened but the only warning lights on is for the brake system (ABS, traction)....has anyone experienced this before?...is this just temporary and will the hybrid battery warning light come on again soon?

Last edited by luckyJ; 08-30-24 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-30-24, 07:29 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

If you don't mind my saying so, you my friend are flying blind. Get hold of the Dr Prius App and get the in depth knowledge of the state of the traction battery. Then you will be able to make an informed decision.

Sometimes a master clear/reset can eliminate any stored codes/re-center the operation.

We can all hope that the error is gone for good.

Salim

PS: wait for few days before you return or re-sell the battery you purchased, Reminder ,, for sale items go under Market place or through private mail.
Old 08-31-24, 06:44 AM
luckyJ
Rookie

I contacted the battery seller and they were able to cancel shipment for a small restocking fee....whew....will get the Prius App and do some digging...tx for the tip!
Old 09-04-24, 03:42 PM
luckyJ
Rookie

I purchased the Dr. Prius app and was able to get some more info on my battery pack health....I also read thru a bunch of Prius forum chats re hybrid battery servicing/replacement....and a bunch of youtube videos on how to discharge and rebalance the batteries....the only issue is I don't have any tools to do this rebalancing step...does anybody know anyone in SoCal who is able to do this? I called a few local shops and they all want near $1500 to do just a servicing...I figure a new battery is $2500 delivered and if I'm able to get some $ back after selling the old pack, it's better to just buy new....still trying to figure out what best to do here...as long as weather stays not so hot, the check engine light doesn't want to come on....aaargh!
Old 09-05-24, 08:21 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Share your learning or just point to useful info.

I was under the impression that one should replace the bad cells and did not realize the need of balancing. There is lot to be learnt.

I would not be looking for a situation where the CEL will light up. As long as it is off, I am happy.

Salim
Old 09-05-24, 09:00 AM
luckyJ
Rookie

here is a Prius owners thread on battery re-conditioning...the Prolong battery conditioner is going for about $800 for the Lexus RX450h....there is a youtuber who has built his own battery balancer/conditioner and gives a good tutorial on servicing...

Prolong Hybrid Battery Reconditioning | BobIsTheOilGuy

Old 09-07-24, 10:59 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Thank you for sharing.

Here is my simple but imperfect* solution ... check individual battery voltage [with some load]. Rank order them based on voltage. Select the highest voltage cells and replace as many you can on the lowest side. **

*: Where my process is imperfect is that you are counting on new batteries to have no internal issues where they are unable to be charged up to atleast the level of the batteries you intended to keep.

**: I need to research if group low-voltage level is better than few highfliers.

I know Lexus is all about in pursuit of perfection, but for an old [for me 12yr old] vehicle, I don't need to have it at 100%. YMVV

Salim
Old 09-24-24, 08:34 PM
luckyJ
Rookie

was able to load test each cell and identified 3 bad ones in the passenger side module set....the tester from Amazon was only $20 and very easy to use...the error code I got of Battery Block 3 as being weak had zero correlation with the location of the bad cells in the pack...so as others have mentioned, it is best to load test each cell to identify bad cells...