Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

RX 450h CVT Fluttering

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 02:29 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 515 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Glad for you but does not help me. Mine was silky smooth also, that's why I like hybrids - no shifting points. But somewhere around 80 000 miles it started being more and more noticeable. Like I said, hell of annoying. And to make things worse, exactly when you get best mpg - rolling with ICE turned off. So you either have to shift into neutral, or accelerate or touch brakes. On a regular car I'd have diagnosed it long ago but here, because ICE turns off, it's a guesswork.
Have you taken it to Lexus to diagnose. At 80k . . . . .
Old 10-03-17, 08:10 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

94 000. I actually do not have Lexus hybrid. We have 2011 RX350. I have 2012 Highlander Hybrid which is basically RX hybrid clone. Same power train. Same underpinning, only difference I know is shocks vs struts in the rear. Likely because I have more cargo area in the rear, car is longer.
We have another Highlander Hybrid owner with same problem as mine. He swears it's identical. He took his to dealer and they "could not find anything wrong".
Thing is, to show itself, you have to have car warmed up well. Then you have to drive somewhere where you can roll easily at around 30mph. For a tech at the shop that is rather hard to scope with say a scanner. Got to go out in the car.
Old 10-07-17, 08:11 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Ok, got all mounts replaced.
Didn't have enough driving done after to come to any conclusion. I'll report back after normal Monday commute.
Old 10-09-17, 07:45 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

I'd say, after about 100 plus miles today, it is likely gone. Of course, I am all ears now and tensely listening to any jerks, what is plenty around from roads. If it's still there, it is very minute. I'll still replace driver side drive axle, as it has more looseness in it as compared to the passenger side one.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (10-18-17)
Old 09-28-18, 08:36 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Did you ever get an answer to this issue? I just hit 21,000 miles & I was picking up a new bed with my trailer & I noticed a really strong flutter/vibration on harder acceleration. It’s more of a engagement/disengagement feeling vs. up & down. It went away whenever I let off the accelerator & I don’t notice it at speeds lower than 40 mph. I’m wondering if I have a transmission problem developing.
Old 09-28-18, 07:29 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

In my case, I think that the flutter is caused when I drive over a particular nearby road segment that is built over an abandoned mine and has a strong magnetic field that may be interacting with the steel-belted radials tires. I came to this conclusion after noticing that the flutter only occurs in this spot and learning from others that the road was built over a former mine with a high magnetic field.
Old 09-28-18, 07:36 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishJoe
In my case, I think that the flutter is caused when I drive over a particular nearby road segment that is built over an abandoned mine and has a strong magnetic field that may be interacting with the steel-belted radials tires. I came to this conclusion after noticing that the flutter only occurs in this spot and learning from others that the road was built over a former mine with a high magnetic field.
Wow! Who would have ever thought of that? No mines in my area...
Old 11-01-18, 04:03 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

THAT would be a world-class magnetic field. Unless there's an MRI machine buried inches below the surface I suspect it's something else.

Some comments referencing the electric motor "shutting down." To my knowledge that doesn't happen. For example, there are times when my traction battery is completely filled up and the computer decides to bleed it down a bit to perhaps 80% by running the electric motor in addition to the ICE. You can see it happening on the graphic screen when it happens. The "CVT" (more like a differential in operation) couldn't care less and combines the power of both to drive the wheels.
Old 11-03-18, 12:41 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Huh... Old thread...
I actually sold my Highlander Hybrid. 90% of the reason was that "flutter". I replaced tires, struts, all engine mounts. Nothing worked. No, I am not taking car to dealer to hear "not observed" or "nothing wrong" and pay them $200 for that.
No magnetic fields in my case and it's a far fetched theory.... Mine did it any time after getting well warmed up and rolling with ICE off, between 25-40 mph. Feeling was exactly like skipping clutch or clutch bands in automatic - jerks back>for, like as if it wants to accelerate/quits that/accelerate/quit it. Very noticeable and very annoying.
It's gone. With the car.
Old 11-04-18, 03:20 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
THAT would be a world-class magnetic field. Unless there's an MRI machine buried inches below the surface I suspect it's something else.

Some comments referencing the electric motor "shutting down." To my knowledge that doesn't happen. For example, there are times when my traction battery is completely filled up and the computer decides to bleed it down a bit to perhaps 80% by running the electric motor in addition to the ICE. You can see it happening on the graphic screen when it happens. The "CVT" (more like a differential in operation) couldn't care less and combines the power of both to drive the wheels.
Yep. It is a very strong magnetic field. That's what happens when they build a highway over an old open-pit iron mine. If you drive in the right lane that was built directly over it, it will affect steel-belted radials, causing a disturbing flutter that is unmistakable. I've learned to drive in the left lane, which doesn't seem to have as strong a magnetic effect. It is the east-bound right lane of the 222 bypass near Allentown, PA, in case you want to experience it.