Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Can any one tell me what the idle current draw should be on 12V battery (Rx450h09)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-18, 02:06 AM
lsteadman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can any one tell me what the idle current draw should be on 12V battery (Rx450h09)

Lexus RX450h 2009

Looking to find what the draw should be for the car when left for a few days. I understand some power is required for alarm, immobilizer, central locking and approach lights etc. but I am trying to find out what that draw should be. The 12V battery is (i believe) 60Ah) but mine goes completely flat in 2-3 days.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-18, 10:42 AM
Rosscoe83
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lsteadman
Lexus RX450h 2009

Looking to find what the draw should be for the car when left for a few days. I understand some power is required for alarm, immobilizer, central locking and approach lights etc. but I am trying to find out what that draw should be. The 12V battery is (i believe) 60Ah) but mine goes completely flat in 2-3 days.

Thanks!
I don't know the answer to your question but if your battery dies in 2-3 days, you have two options: 1. Get your battery tested and replace if needed or find where your unintended draw is coming from. 2. Get a new battery.
Even if you leave an interior light on, it should shut itself off after a certain time so that it doesn't drain your battery.
Old 03-19-18, 02:36 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Have you got some electrical modification that could be drawing significant amounts of power? Perhaps a dash camera that is on all the time, and happens to be drawing too much power because it has developed a fault?

If not, then your battery needs to be replaced as it's lost a lot of amp hours capacity. Not surprising if it were the original battery - it'd be 9 years old by now!
Old 03-20-18, 02:54 AM
lsteadman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tempestv8
Have you got some electrical modification that could be drawing significant amounts of power? Perhaps a dash camera that is on all the time, and happens to be drawing too much power because it has developed a fault?

If not, then your battery needs to be replaced as it's lost a lot of amp hours capacity. Not surprising if it were the original battery - it'd be 9 years old by now!
Thanks for replies.

The battery was replaced two years ago - as that was the "solution" - typical bloody garage: "cure" symptoms and ignore cause. I don't have any modifications so I am just trying to work out how much extra amperage must be being drawn. As I understand it all cars will drain their 12V over time when not driven due to alarms, immobilizers, lights etc.
Old 03-20-18, 05:07 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm curious now - what type of battery was used as a replacement? A standard flooded cell lead acid battery will fail very quickly with the RX450h. For the hybrids, the 12 volt battery needs to be an AGM battery, and even so, I personally believe that a battery maintainer (aka smart battery charger) would be necessary to keep the 12 volt battery fully charged every couple of months or so. Use this as a reference: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...87543-5448.pdf

Re your original question, I found this comment in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...us-rx450h.html
Not sure if it answers your question but I found it interesting, nonetheless.

Originally Posted by Jaquimo
Yes the battery load depends on many factors.
✿ When locked with all windows shut the current drops to about 60 mA after about 10 minutes.
✿ When unlocked with all the windows shut the current drops to about 120 mA after about 10 minutes
✿ When the windows are open the current stays at about 1.1 Ampere irrespective of whether the doors are locked or not!

When the doors are closed or locked the current is at about 3 Ampere and decrease gradually in steps as time pass. The last decrease in battery current happens around 10 minutes after closing or locking the doors.

Last edited by tempestv8; 03-20-18 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-22-18, 08:54 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I haven't heard anything here at the Portland Lexus dealer about needing an AGM battery, and I think there are lots of folks on this board who have been able to use a regular battery successfully. My own understanding is the the primary advantage of an AGM battery is there's no need to check and replenish the liquid level. Also, there is less outgassing during charging.