Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Tempted by 2010 LS600hL

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18, 11:36 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
I know, I was j/k....

BTW, what do you with that 17 LX with just only 7.3k miles?. Put that on a flat bed truck and drive point A to B ???
Ha! Excellent question... I'm a bit behind updating mileage, and it's at 8.5k - still low, I realize. It's my wife's car, and we've worked reasonably close to the house for a while. She works a little farther away now, but her parking spot is half the size of the LX - enter the RDX... In the meantime, I had been driving LX for winter, and she uses it on the weekend.
Old 04-26-18, 12:08 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

Wow, you guys sure are encouraging me to jump on this deal!

I just got back from the dealership, where I did a thorough walk-around of the car, inside and out, and took it for a test drive. The car itself is pretty clean overall, but it clearly has not been fully detailed for sale.

The inside was nearly perfect, but did have a fairly extensive amount of dirt/cracks in the leading edge of the driver's seat (where the driver slides into the seat). There were no actual cuts or tears in the leather, just dirty cracks in the leather in this one spot. I think this could be fairly easy remedied by either deep cleaning the leather or possibly having the leather painted in this section of the seat. Everything else in the interior looked essentially brand new.

I sat in the back and spent 15 minutes trying out all the buttons (and there are a LOT of buttons in that console!). Everything worked perfectly, including the reclining ottoman seat, the "executive" tray table, etc., etc. What an amazing back seat! My 10 year old would be completely spoiled! This car has the Executive Rear Seat package II, which includes the massaging seat (I didn't actually try the massaging function).

The tires were Michelins which had 15k miles on them. I JUST bought a new set of Pirelli P7s for my LS460L, and would just swap out my tires/rims for the ones on the 600 (the dealer was fine with this). Both cars have identical 18 inch wheels, and my wheels are actually a bit cleaner.

The only flaw on the car (besides the dirty leather on the driver's seat) was a dent in the front bumper plastic, roughly 1 inch x 2 inches. It looks like the driver bumped into something in his garage and it damaged the bumper. I'd definitely want to get that fixed, which probably means a new bumper cover and paint. Does anyone know how hard it is to match the Peridot Mica (very dark green) color paint? It has lots of sparkly flecks in it, so it might be tough to get it right. Oh, and the headlight covers were a bit scratched/cloudy. Not terrible, and could easily be fixed via wet-sanding/reconditioning, but not perfect.

The car only has one key fob right now, and does not have the Key Card that should have came with it when new. The dealer was going to check back in with the seller to see if he still has the Key Card and/or the second fob.

I relayed these concerns to the sales manager. He just responded via email offering the following:

I propose we do the following items to make the 600 correct:

* Fix/repaint front bumper
* Clean or repair driver seat leather
* Swap wheels from your car to this one
* Headlamp reconditioning
* New key card (have not heard back from prior owner yet)
* General cleaning/detailing
* Tint windows

The final price after the dealer does all these things (his offer, anyway) would be my car plus $10K. I paid $21,600 for my car 3 months ago. It has a current trade-in value of around $17k. So, depending on how you look at it, I would be paying $31,600 for this LS600hL (as if I had never bought the other LS460L) or $27K (the "true" price I'm paying, based on the current trade value of my car).

When I look up the current retail value of the LS600hL, here's what I find: KBB Dealer Retail: $31,745; NADA "Clean" Retail: $35,100; Edmunds TMV: $34,345

Hmmmm.... I'm VERY tempted... any other thoughts?
Old 04-26-18, 12:27 PM
riknchar
Instructor

One thing I forgot to mention: I LOVE the unique gauge cluster in the 2010-2012 LS600hLs! It is so unique and beautiful to me! Here's a picture of it (also showing the Driver Attention Monitor, which the LS600 I'm looking at does have).

I can also confirm that the LS600hL drives even quieter than the LS460L, due (I believe) to extra sound-deadening materials and the fact that the engine turns over at such low RPMs at interstate speeds due to the CVT. At 70 mph, I was seeing around 1100 RPMs with the LS600. With my LS460L, I'm running around 2,000 RPMs at 70 mph...
Old 04-26-18, 12:32 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Sounds good on the car

HOWEVER, the deal doesn't sound good to me.

Initial offer from dealer was your car + $9k

Now dealer is saying your car + 10K. So dealer is charging you 1K to do the work?

Regardless of what we think on this forum, and many of us multiple LS owners, LS don't just get sold in a day. They languish at times.

I would negotiate a lot harder on the sale price of the 600....and YOU shouldn't be paying for bumper/cleaning/headlights.

Look I don't know the lexus market in Nebraska. But I bet you he didn't give a dollar more than $23,000 on the trade on to the owner.

He's got plenty of profit in this car, and you need to squeeze harder

Originally Posted by riknchar
Wow, you guys sure are encouraging me to jump on this deal!

I just got back from the dealership, where I did a thorough walk-around of the car, inside and out, and took it for a test drive. The car itself is pretty clean overall, but it clearly has not been fully detailed for sale.

The inside was nearly perfect, but did have a fairly extensive amount of dirt/cracks in the leading edge of the driver's seat (where the driver slides into the seat). There were no actual cuts or tears in the leather, just dirty cracks in the leather in this one spot. I think this could be fairly easy remedied by either deep cleaning the leather or possibly having the leather painted in this section of the seat. Everything else in the interior looked essentially brand new.

I sat in the back and spent 15 minutes trying out all the buttons (and there are a LOT of buttons in that console!). Everything worked perfectly, including the reclining ottoman seat, the "executive" tray table, etc., etc. What an amazing back seat! My 10 year old would be completely spoiled! This car has the Executive Rear Seat package II, which includes the massaging seat (I didn't actually try the massaging function).

The tires were Michelins which had 15k miles on them. I JUST bought a new set of Pirelli P7s for my LS460L, and would just swap out my tires/rims for the ones on the 600 (the dealer was fine with this). Both cars have identical 18 inch wheels, and my wheels are actually a bit cleaner.

The only flaw on the car (besides the dirty leather on the driver's seat) was a dent in the front bumper plastic, roughly 1 inch x 2 inches. It looks like the driver bumped into something in his garage and it damaged the bumper. I'd definitely want to get that fixed, which probably means a new bumper cover and paint. Does anyone know how hard it is to match the Peridot Mica (very dark green) color paint? It has lots of sparkly flecks in it, so it might be tough to get it right. Oh, and the headlight covers were a bit scratched/cloudy. Not terrible, and could easily be fixed via wet-sanding/reconditioning, but not perfect.

The car only has one key fob right now, and does not have the Key Card that should have came with it when new. The dealer was going to check back in with the seller to see if he still has the Key Card and/or the second fob.

I relayed these concerns to the sales manager. He just responded via email offering the following:

I propose we do the following items to make the 600 correct:

* Fix/repaint front bumper
* Clean or repair driver seat leather
* Swap wheels from your car to this one
* Headlamp reconditioning
* New key card (have not heard back from prior owner yet)
* General cleaning/detailing
* Tint windows

The final price after the dealer does all these things (his offer, anyway) would be my car plus $10K. I paid $21,600 for my car 3 months ago. It has a current trade-in value of around $17k. So, depending on how you look at it, I would be paying $31,600 for this LS600hL (as if I had never bought the other LS460L) or $27K (the "true" price I'm paying, based on the current trade value of my car).

When I look up the current retail value of the LS600hL, here's what I find: KBB Dealer Retail: $31,745; NADA "Clean" Retail: $35,100; Edmunds TMV: $34,345

Hmmmm.... I'm VERY tempted... any other thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Tempted by 2010 LS600hL-screen-shot-2018-04-26-at-12.30.07-pm.png  
Old 04-26-18, 12:49 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Ryan, Thanks for the insight. I really don't know what the dealer paid the guy who traded the car in (that guy got a new Chevy Tahoe). Note also that this is not a Lexus dealer selling the car - it's a Chevy dealer in a small town (Blair) outside of the Omaha metro. When I spoke with Lexus of Omaha (they pulled a Build Sheet for me on the LS600), they were somewhat amazed by this deal, and said there's no way they could come close to that if they had the LS600 on their lot. Of course, they tend to put quite a bit more money into their cars to prepare them for sale - they resprayed both front and rear bumper, redid the brakes, etc. on my LS460L before I bought it.

Does anyone know what it would cost to have a new bumper put on and painted for an LS600hL? It can't be cheap (maybe $1500?). I know headlight restoration is cheap ($50), and rejuvenating the interior leather probably isn't too pricey. The Key Card costs $220, with another $70 to Lexus to program it.

I can definitely still walk away from this deal, or simply wait for another week or two for the dealer to get more aggressive. But to be perfectly honest, I almost fell off my chair when the dealer was talking about a $9k trade difference. I really thought he'd come in at closer to $13k...
Old 04-26-18, 12:54 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

At the end of the day, your money. If you are happy with it, then it isn't a big deal. I am not telling you to walk away. Just saying, that at the end of the day, squeeze them more.

If you are expecting them to spend $1500 on bumper, you are mistaken. CHEVY dealers (heck even other dealers) won't spend anywhere close to that.

I attached the trade in for a LS600h with ALL packages. As you see, packages in used market hardly makes a difference

Ryan, Thanks for the insight. I really don't know what the dealer paid the guy who traded the car in (that guy got a new Chevy Tahoe). Note also that this is not a Lexus dealer selling the car - it's a Chevy dealer in a small town (Blair) outside of the Omaha metro. When I spoke with Lexus of Omaha (they pulled a Build Sheet for me on the LS600), they were somewhat amazed by this deal, and said there's no way they could come close to that if they had the LS600 on their lot. Of course, they tend to put quite a bit more money into their cars to prepare them for sale - they resprayed both front and rear bumper, redid the brakes, etc. on my LS460L before I bought it.

Does anyone know what it would cost to have a new bumper put on and painted for an LS600hL? It can't be cheap (maybe $1500?). I know headlight restoration is cheap ($50), and rejuvenating the interior leather probably isn't too pricey. The Key Card costs $220, with another $70 to Lexus to program it.

I can definitely still walk away from this deal, or simply wait for another week or two for the dealer to get more aggressive. But to be perfectly honest, I almost fell off my chair when the dealer was talking about a $9k trade difference. I really thought he'd come in at closer to $13k...
Attached Thumbnails Tempted by 2010 LS600hL-screen-shot-2018-04-26-at-12.51.21-pm.png  
Old 04-26-18, 01:08 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Thanks again, Ryan! I do think this car has all available packages, so the trade-in price of $26,400 is probably fairly accurate (though I don't know what the Chevy dealer actually paid the seller).

So I tried to push the dealer to do all of the work and keep the price at $9,000 trade difference. He said "sorry, but I can't go below $10,000 difference if I do all the work I mentioned." He did say if I'd like to handle the front bumper repair myself, he would drop the price by $1200 (to $8,800 trade difference). I called my local, very trusted body shop (who has done beautiful work for me on my Lexus SC430 in the past), and they quoted me a total price of $1,170 to replace the bumper and make it a perfect match to my car.

So now it's decision time... Do I accept the offer of $8,800 trade difference and have my own body shop do the bumper repair, or do I wait around for a while longer to put pressure on the selling dealer to drop the price a bit more?

This is a tough one... But the car itself is AMAZING!
Old 04-26-18, 01:25 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Lexus of Omaha is showing it performed "Body service' on this car on November 2012 . What is that?

Personally, i don't trust a Chevy dealer body work. I would say clean seats, do keys, do headlights. I will take care of bumper.

Take my 460+ I do bumper+ I will give you $7k cash. If you want to sell it, call me. Otherwise I am going to Toyota Bellingham for their lower mileage LS600.

However, IF IT is the PERFECT car for you, that YOU HAVE BEEN DREAMING OF AND CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT, your car +8K, he does all things you want, except bumper.

He already knows you have LS, and you are the perfect client for this car. So he will play hardball with you. That is why if I EVER have a trade, I never tell the dealer, till all negotiations are done, and I usually park far away or take a cheap car to the dealership

Then again I buy 5-7 (new and used) cars a year for my family/friends and myself, and coast to coast over the last 10 years, have been asked never to come back to a dealer only 2 times. I negotiate for a living, so I get orgasms skinning every piece of meat of the bone.

Just my .02 Turkish Lira

Thanks again, Ryan! I do think this car has all available packages, so the trade-in price of $26,400 is probably fairly accurate (though I don't know what the Chevy dealer actually paid the seller).

So I tried to push the dealer to do all of the work and keep the price at $9,000 trade difference. He said "sorry, but I can't go below $10,000 difference if I do all the work I mentioned." He did say if I'd like to handle the front bumper repair myself, he would drop the price by $1200 (to $8,800 trade difference). I called my local, very trusted body shop (who has done beautiful work for me on my Lexus SC430 in the past), and they quoted me a total price of $1,170 to replace the bumper and make it a perfect match to my car.

So now it's decision time... Do I accept the offer of $8,800 trade difference and have my own body shop do the bumper repair, or do I wait around for a while longer to put pressure on the selling dealer to drop the price a bit more?

This is a tough one... But the car itself is AMAZING!

Last edited by ryanSC300lover; 04-26-18 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-26-18, 01:29 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Some quick thoughts... it's a 2010 with low miles per year 8 years x 8k year --- if there's any time period of extended idle activity or little driving, I would suspect it affects the battery more than anything. In 2 quick years, any 'coverage' on the battery will be up (assuming it has a 10 year warranty).

The low miles is the nicest thing but it does have more of a positive impact on a gas car in retaining it's value than a hybrid.

I'd walk away from it. Who knows what kind of trouble you may run into for battery support and maintenance in 5-10 years. It could be a 4-6k bill you may need to be ready to pay for. If this is not an issue, then take the chance and be happy. Alternately, you can fix your own car first and keep car-guru lurking for a better deal or trade in opportunity. Trust me, there will always be another interesting car to catch your attention.
Old 04-26-18, 03:13 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
Good, thx.
Rick, if you are not getting this car I am ............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whaaaaaat? satiger, Surely, you must be joking!

Are you going to turn your back on that gorgeous fully loaded 2013 LS460L AWD with all the options imaginable that you bought last year for a 2010 LS600hL? Say it ain't so....

Oh, BTW, I did not call you Shirley
Old 04-26-18, 03:29 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Boy you go through a lot of cars. My wife would kill me. From a 600 to a G 90 to a 460L then maybe back to a 600. Hard to keep track of it all! Where would you stand if you had just kept the original 600? How much have you paid in sales tax?
Old 04-26-18, 03:49 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Boy you go through a lot of cars. My wife would kill me. From a 600 to a G 90 to a 460L then maybe back to a 600. Hard to keep track of it all! Where would you stand if you had just kept the original 600? How much have you paid in sales tax?
In Missouri (and I am sure elsewhere), you would only pay sales tax on the additional amount (difference) that one pays when buying a more expensive car, so it shouldn't matter. But I don't know whether one gets a credit for excess tax paid if one were to trade in a more expensive car for a cheaper car, but probably would.
Old 04-26-18, 03:52 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Yes that’s the way it works in MA too. Still, my wife would kill me lol 😂
Old 04-26-18, 04:26 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Whaaaaaat? satiger, Surely, you must be joking!

Are you going to turn your back on that gorgeous fully loaded 2013 LS460L AWD with all the options imaginable that you bought last year for a 2010 LS600hL? Say it ain't so....

Oh, BTW, I did not call you Shirley
I hear you. I was serious. I am thinking of replacing GX with this. I will have to compromise no of passengers with this swap.

Let's see what Rick decides on.

BTW , mine is 2014 LS !
Old 04-26-18, 04:40 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

I register everything in Montana
no sales tax

last year I changed 3 cars....longest I kept something last year was 7 months. Shortest was 433 miles and 19 days... it was a brand new car too

day my spouse tells me what to do, day they will be looking for a new partner

Quick Reply: Tempted by 2010 LS600hL