Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Tempted by 2010 LS600hL

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18, 04:42 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
I hear you. I was serious. I am thinking of replacing GX with this. I will have to compromise no of passengers with this swap.

Let's see what Rick decides on.

BTW , mine is 2014 LS !
if you have the 14 460 and you want a 600, get the 13+ 600.

Doesnt make sense to get old body style

13+ is delicious

Old 04-26-18, 04:50 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Unless you hate the crappy mouse. I prefer the touch screen in prior years, feels like they took a step back. I also like the cup holder in the different spot.
Old 04-26-18, 05:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

If you really like the car, I'd do it. Take the savings and do the bumper yourself so you know its done right. Over $800, not worth loosing a car thats hard to replace.
Old 04-26-18, 05:14 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

I hear you. I was serious. I am thinking of replacing GX with this. I will have to compromise no of passengers with this swap.

BTW , mine is 2014 LS !
Wow, you ARE serious. Now, that would look really sweet to have fully-loaded LS460L and LS600hL in the same driveway. Go for it!
Apologies on the MY of your LS460L.
Old 04-26-18, 05:17 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
One thing I forgot to mention: I LOVE the unique gauge cluster in the 2010-2012 LS600hLs! It is so unique and beautiful to me! Here's a picture of it (also showing the Driver Attention Monitor, which the LS600 I'm looking at does have).

I can also confirm that the LS600hL drives even quieter than the LS460L, due (I believe) to extra sound-deadening materials and the fact that the engine turns over at such low RPMs at interstate speeds due to the CVT. At 70 mph, I was seeing around 1100 RPMs with the LS600. With my LS460L, I'm running around 2,000 RPMs at 70 mph...
As I understand it, this cluster was also an option on 460L in Japan, FWIW.

Thanks again, Ryan! I do think this car has all available packages, so the trade-in price of $26,400 is probably fairly accurate (though I don't know what the Chevy dealer actually paid the seller).

So I tried to push the dealer to do all of the work and keep the price at $9,000 trade difference. He said "sorry, but I can't go below $10,000 difference if I do all the work I mentioned." He did say if I'd like to handle the front bumper repair myself, he would drop the price by $1200 (to $8,800 trade difference). I called my local, very trusted body shop (who has done beautiful work for me on my Lexus SC430 in the past), and they quoted me a total price of $1,170 to replace the bumper and make it a perfect match to my car.

So now it's decision time... Do I accept the offer of $8,800 trade difference and have my own body shop do the bumper repair, or do I wait around for a while longer to put pressure on the selling dealer to drop the price a bit more?

This is a tough one... But the car itself is AMAZING!
Putting aside numbers for a moment, the only things I would ask for from the dealer are the wheel swap and most definitely the key card (either getting from previous owner or new at their expense). Nothing that touches on detailing (headlights or leather) I would want them to touch - too much risk, IMHO, unless they are hiring an actual professional detailer, which I would doubt.

Could the dealer's "recon" team do a good job? Sure, but again, it is risky: sand the headlights quickly/carelessly, miss a spot when taping around the headlights, put too strong a chemical on the leather when the initial try with something mild doesn't clean the stains well, etc. - you get my drift. Separately, I would definitely tackle the bumper at a shop you trust. For reference, I had mine done when I bought the car, and the grand total was $1,122.34. Starfire Pearl is a tri-coat paint; not sure about Peridot Mica, but your number is in-line with mine.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably push for $8.5k with those two items included. What you'd be removing (leather and headlights) doesn't carry a large dollar value, but in principle, you're still being flexible and removing complexity. Just my $0.02...

Last edited by caha14; 04-26-18 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-26-18, 05:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I agree....
Old 04-26-18, 07:24 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Boy you go through a lot of cars. My wife would kill me. From a 600 to a G 90 to a 460L then maybe back to a 600. Hard to keep track of it all! Where would you stand if you had just kept the original 600? How much have you paid in sales tax?
I have to admit, you do sound a lot like my wife (and yes, she has threatened to kill me many times over car deals...). In actuality, though, I haven't been too harmed by excess sales taxes. I had the original 2008 LS600hL for over 3 years, and yes, I did pay a lot of sales tax originally on that car (in 2014). I traded it on a 2017 Genesis G90, but that was a lease, and in NE we only pay sales tax on the actual lease payments, not the full car all at once. Since I only leased the car for 6 months, I didn't pay too much in sales tax. I did have to pay sales tax on $21,600 when I bought the 2010 LS460L, but by trading that one on the LS600, I only pay taxes on the trade difference (looks like $8500, or around $600 in taxes). Not great, but not as bad as it looks...
Old 04-26-18, 07:36 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Okay, thanks to everyone for a lively chat today!

I've decided to push ahead and get the car (yes, my wife will be slightly annoyed, but I make great money and cars are really my only hobby). I have negotiated a price of $8,500 trade difference, and have agreed to handle the body work and key card acquisition on my own (I'd feel more comfortable using my trusted body shop, and I've "cracked the code" on getting the right key card via Amazon for $205).

The dealer has agreed to let me swap out my rims/tires and my extra plush floor mats (that I just got, and which will fit perfectly in the LS600). The dealer will have the windows professionally tinted (I'm going with 20% front and back - should look great with this dark colored car). The dealer will have the leather seats professionally cleaned/rejuvenated. The dealer will have the exterior professionally waxed/clay barred to get rid of a few minor swirl marks I found in the paint.

I'll still need to pull my Prestigious Society Nav bypass module out and have it reinstalled in the LS600 (I love that device!).

I should be able to pick up the new car on Saturday afternoon! I really do love the Peridot Mica color - it's such a dark, sparkly green color. And the Parchment 2-tone interior is very nice too. I've attached the build sheet below so everyone can see just what a "unicorn" this car is.

Thanks to all who encouraged me to make the leap! I'll post some nice photos once I take possession this weekend.
Attached Files
Old 04-26-18, 07:40 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I too agree with others on leather and headlight fixes. Especially with headlight polishing, essentially we are removing protective layer.

I wouldn't even have them install glass tint. Most likely they will go with cheapest option which will end up either in bubbles or turning purple down the road.

Yeah, on 13+ LS models, LKA/DRCC functions much better than prior models. Again such fully loaded 600 in 13+ models would cost much more if we even find one.

Not very many are sold fully loaded regardless 460 or 600. That too getting them with light interior is even more tough.
Old 04-26-18, 07:42 PM
riknchar
Instructor

BTW , mine is 2014 LS !
Sorry Satiger, I've decided to buy this LS600hL. I've always coveted the fully loaded LS600hLs, and have secretly always wished I had one with the LKA, DRCC, and Rear Seat Executive Pkg (though I'll really never ride in the back).

The dealer told me I was the only "local" person who had inquired about this car, but he said he's been fielding lots of calls from all over the country about it. I like the idea of owning such a unique car! I'm sure I won't run across another one "in the wild" for a long time (if ever). As of right now, there are exactly zero 2010 LS600s available nationwide on CarGurus (since I bought this one).
Old 04-26-18, 07:43 PM
satiger
Instructor

Congrats on the purchase. It's such a unique car, you will really enjoy it years to come.

Post pics showing interior beauty of the rare unicorn.
Old 04-26-18, 07:50 PM
riknchar
Instructor

I too agree with others on leather and headlight fixes. Especially with headlight polishing, essentially we are removing protective layer.

I wouldn't even have them install glass tint. Most likely they will go with cheapest option which will end up either in bubbles or turning purple down the road.

Yeah, on 13+ LS models, LKA/DRCC functions much better than prior models. Again such fully loaded 600 in 13+ models would cost much more if we even find one.

Not very many are sold fully loaded regardless 460 or 600. That too getting them with light interior is even more tough.
I'm fairly confident that the companies they will be using to install the window tint and recondition the leather know what they're doing, but I certainly understand your concern in this regard. If this part gets totally botched, I can definitely still walk away from the deal.

I had the LKA in my 2017 Genesis G90, and I really liked it, for the most part. It was able to steer the car smoothly around most curves without any steering input. The only down side was on long straight stretches, if you didn't need to move the wheel at all, it would let off an annoying alarm telling you to put your hands back on the wheel... And it was almost too fun to just leave my hands off the wheel and let the car steer itself. Lots of times, the car would lose sight of the lane markings mid-curve and nearly crash me into the ditch!

When I test drove the LS600hL, I tried out the LKA and liked it just fine. It was pretty unobtrusive mostly, which I prefer. I let the car drift to the edge a couple of times just to see how it reacted. It quickly sounded an appropriate alarm and steered my car back onto the road just fine. I think I may prefer this method to the Genesis version, since there's less temptation to use it "just for fun." Knowing it's there and works if I ever take my eyes off the road for a while is all I really need.

The LS600 has the driver attention monitor also, though I'm really not all that sure how it works or if it's a useful thing yet.

Can't wait to play with all these new buttons!
Old 04-26-18, 07:53 PM
satiger
Instructor

Comeon, no need for sorry. You found the car and shared here. Congrats.

Many here may not realize these fully loaded 460/600s are very rare, even more rare with lighter interior. I did find one with Sewell Lexus when I was in the market, fully loaded 460 including REAS on their web site stating new arrival - photo coming. Immediately called them and its already sold. Sold before even they put on their website!.

With full Lexus service history, you will find all comments by technicians whether customer agreed to fix or not. Even s burnt light bulb would be entered. No escaping of hiding anything from services done at Lexus.

Good luck to you !
Old 04-26-18, 08:02 PM
satiger
Instructor

The LS600 has the driver attention monitor also, though I'm really not all that sure how it works or if it's a useful thing yet.
I was thinking about posting about driver attention monitor few days back!.

When I was driving on my way back from work, had my phone on my lap. I was checking the phone messages few seconds by rolling my eyes down. LKA/DRCC was not turned on.

I would have glanced probably 3-4 seconds and car was fast approaching the one in the front. When I was turning my head up, simultaneously attention alarm went off. It does work !.
Old 04-26-18, 10:26 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

I was thinking about posting about driver attention monitor few days back!.
When I was driving on my way back from work, had my phone on my lap. I was checking the phone messages few seconds by rolling my eyes down. LKA/DRCC was not turned on.
I would have glanced probably 3-4 seconds and car was fast approaching the one in the front. When I was turning my head up, simultaneously attention alarm went off. It does work !.
Hi satiger,
I have also wondered about the operation of the driver attention monitor (DAM). But what exactly did the "attention alarm" sound like when it went off, and when you approached the car in front too quickly? Did it sound rapid beeps and did the display flash a bright red BRAKE icon? That's the pre-collision warning that would have come on even if the DAM had not been activated because the PCS detected a high probability of collision. The problem is there is no way to know that the DAM is working unless a collision is imminent. If you were to do exactly what you were doing (taking eyes off the road by turning to the side etc. for several seconds) on an empty highway, the DAM would not go off even though you are paying no attention to the road. I have tried this....

Quick Reply: Tempted by 2010 LS600hL