Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

My "New" 2010 LS600hL!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 12:46 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 354 Posts

Rick

How about: XTC44

Dennis
Old 04-30-18, 01:20 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Love the car. Update your sig.....again....
Old 04-30-18, 01:53 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

The car is FANTASTIC. I've been saying for a looooooong time, 2010 models ARE THE BEST!
The following users liked this post:
riknchar (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 04:41 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Very nice find and congratulations! That Peridot Mica is much nicer than the Verdigris Mica. Glad you're back in the car you really want. I didn't know the 600 has real Shiatsu massage and am glad it provides more than the mediocre vibration in a UL.
Old 04-30-18, 04:59 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Very nice find and congratulations! That Peridot Mica is much nicer than the Verdigris Mica. Glad you're back in the car you really want. I didn't know the 600 has real Shiatsu massage and am glad it provides more than the mediocre vibration in a UL.
Thanks! I figured Verdigris Mica was pretty much the same color as the Peridot Mica. Interesting to hear they are different.

Yeah, the Shiatsu massage is pretty amazing. The vibration mode is mostly just annoying. I actually thought something was broken when the seats started vibrating (I had accidentally turned on this function). With the recliner/ottoman, rear seat DVD player, and massage settings, I can see how this would be a very nice place to be on a long trip! I'm sure my wife will claim that spot when we travel...
Old 04-30-18, 06:18 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by greg3852
Love the car. Update your sig.....again....
Thanks for the reminder! Just updated my signature. I need to get a better photo of the LS600 to insert though...
Old 04-30-18, 06:34 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi Rick,
Congrats on this beautiful acquisition! Awesome color and great features! No more peeking on CarGurus, correct?? Are you planning to get an extended warranty to cover the air suspension and hybrid battery?

How about UNICORN for your vanity plate

BTW, can you post the pages from your manual describing the sensors for the LKA and APCS in your car? I have a feeling you also have nighttime IR vision. Can you verify? There should be a button next to the Trip Odometer button or one on the opposite side.

Congrats again, and wishing you many miles and years of driving pleasure!

Comotiger, Sorry for the delay! I've attached the pages from my owner's manual that talk about the APCS sensors. It looks like you are correct about the Infrared. On the APCS page, I see a photo that shows the location of the "Near-infrared ray transmitters" which appear to be located in the headlamp cluster on the LS600hLs with Driver Attention Monitor. The manual says these rays are projected to "ensure proper detection performance in the night time."

Cool!
Old 04-30-18, 06:35 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Rick

How about: XTC44

Dennis
Not bad... Maybe even better "LEXTC" (Lex-tacy!)...
Old 04-30-18, 08:27 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
Comotiger, Sorry for the delay! I've attached the pages from my owner's manual that talk about the APCS sensors. It looks like you are correct about the Infrared. On the APCS page, I see a photo that shows the location of the "Near-infrared ray transmitters" which appear to be located in the headlamp cluster on the LS600hLs with Driver Attention Monitor. The manual says these rays are projected to "ensure proper detection performance in the night time."
Cool!
Hi Rick, thanks for the pictures from your owner's manual. I also downloaded the 2010 manual and read about the stereo cameras and whether your car has night vision. The stereo cameras in your 2010 car resemble the "EyeSight" system found in Subarus. Starting in 2013, Lexus enclosed the cameras in a housing. When you get a chance, can you please upload a picture of the area around the rear view mirror of your car showing the stereo cameras?

Eyesight

2013+ LS460; stereocameras in housing

I checked the 2010-2012 manuals, and there is no mention of the night vision system called Night View. This system uses the near IR beams in the innermost projectors and an IR camera in the stereo camera housing. The NightView system is first mentioned in the 2013 manual, and it was found in very very few LSs. Here's a description of how it works, and the button I was referring to next to the trip odometer button.

NightView from 2014 manual (my car does not have this option). I thought my car used the IR illumination to detect pedestrians in the APCS. However, now I am pretty sure it uses the standard stereo cameras for this feature. There are no IR beams or IR camera in my car either.

Here's a 2016 LS460L that came with the NightView option (go to 1:33 of the video)

This video shows a demo of the NightView system
Old 05-01-18, 04:31 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Como, you need to stop talking about these rare features j/k !!!. Now you are tempting me . I didn't even put 6k on 2014 LS and you are showing 2016 features..........

On a serious note, night vision is very rare on LS including 600s. Rick's car may have that. Mine doesn't.
Old 05-01-18, 06:30 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Como, Looks like I don't have the "Night View" option you described. I've actually never heard about this option. I wonder if it was available in 2010?

I've attached photos of the upper part of my windshield. The "Stereo Cameras" are somewhat hard to see due to the dark tinting of the upper windshield, but they are definitely there. The view from the inside shows the housing for them. I don't have the Night View button next to my Trip button.

From what I read in my owner's manual, I believe I do have the near-infrared pedestrian detection system that is linked to my Driver's Attention Module. I just don't have the ability to project the infrared video onto my central screen (that looks like the main addition the Night View system adds).

I learned something new about Lexus! Nice!
Old 05-01-18, 06:45 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi Rick, yes, this dent and scratch is more visible than mine, so it's a good idea to replace the bumper. This dent in the plastic would be hard to fix. So, how come the bra did not cover the bumper? My car has a bra that extends all the way down to the lower panels. Regardless, small rock chips are unavoidable.

When you get a chance, please follow up on my questions about the stereo cameras, LKA, and night vision. Thanks!

Here's my dent.
Your dent is more of a cute "dimple" that gives your car character! Mine is an ugly scratch/dent that says "I'm too cheap to take care of my Lexus..."

My clear-bra only covers the leading edge of the hood (up about 1/3 of the hood), the front bumpers, and the side mirrors. I've seen lots of cars with this amount of clear bra. It cost the owner $699 to add this when the car was new. I know you can have the entire front bumper wrapped in clear-bra, but this is much more expensive and many people don't do it. I may consider it after I have my front bumper cover replaced and the paint has had enough time to cure.
Old 05-01-18, 07:19 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by satiger
Como, you need to stop talking about these rare features j/k !!!. Now you are tempting me . I didn't even put 6k on 2014 LS and you are showing 2016 features..........
On a serious note, night vision is very rare on LS including 600s. Rick's car may have that. Mine doesn't.
Ha ha!!

Hi satiger, the NightView feature was discontinued in the LS in 2015/2016, and probably was found in less than a handful of US vehicles. The video from the Canadian LS460 is the only one I know of.
I was under the impression that our vehicles equipped with APCS still used the IR illumination for the pedestrian detection. But it turns out that the IR projector headlight and the IR camera are only used for the NightView function. Here's the page from the 2014 manual.

Yesterday, I took a closeup photo of the stereo camera housing (driver's side) in my car, and sure enough, there is an empty bay next to the stereo camera, where the IR camera should have been. This leads me to conclude that our APCS-equipped 2014 vehicles have a dummy innermost projector that would have housed the IR light source.
Old 05-01-18, 07:34 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Como, Looks like I don't have the "Night View" option you described. I've actually never heard about this option. I wonder if it was available in 2010?
I don't see any mention of the NightView in pre-2013 Owners manuals, so it was not available in 2010.

I've attached photos of the upper part of my windshield. The "Stereo Cameras" are somewhat hard to see due to the dark tinting of the upper windshield, but they are definitely there. The view from the inside shows the housing for them. I don't have the Night View button next to my Trip button.
Yes, they are indeed hard to see from the outside. I thought it would be more obvious like the Subaru system or the dual port housing in the 2013+ cars.

From what I read in my owner's manual, I believe I do have the near-infrared pedestrian detection system that is linked to my Driver's Attention Module. I just don't have the ability to project the infrared video onto my central screen (that looks like the main addition the Night View system adds). I learned something new about Lexus! Nice!
Having researched this issue, I am pretty sure none of our cars has the IR illuminators. The pedestrian detection uses the stereo cameras which are visible light-based. And as I explained in the Driver Attention Monitor thread that satiger started, there is no direct link between the DAM and the pedestrian detection. They are both sensors that warn the driver through the Pre-Collision system.
Old 05-01-18, 07:38 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Your dent is more of a cute "dimple" that gives your car character! Mine is an ugly scratch/dent that says "I'm too cheap to take care of my Lexus..."

My clear-bra only covers the leading edge of the hood (up about 1/3 of the hood), the front bumpers, and the side mirrors. I've seen lots of cars with this amount of clear bra. It cost the owner $699 to add this when the car was new. I know you can have the entire front bumper wrapped in clear-bra, but this is much more expensive and many people don't do it. I may consider it after I have my front bumper cover replaced and the paint has had enough time to cure.
Ha ha!! That dimple was easily missed when I bought the car. Light has to be reflecting just right to spot it. I agree it makes sense to replace your front bumper.

I noticed over the weekend while washing my car that the front bra is peeling at the very bottom. It's a bit hard to spot now, but I may have to decide in the next year whether to replace.

Quick Reply: My "New" 2010 LS600hL!