Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

My "New" 2010 LS600hL!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 06:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Congrats! She's a beaut!
Old 05-02-18, 06:33 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm considering adding the CNA Comprehensive Warranty to this new LS600hL. Per Jeff Traynham (guy mentioned in many current forum topics as having the best nationwide prices on the CNA warranties), I can get a 6 year, 48k mile, $200 deductible warranty for $2887. That's somewhat tempting, based on the risk of failure of the air ride suspension, control arms, hybrid components, brake actuator, etc... I only drive around 8K miles per year, so I'd get the full 6 years of coverage with this warranty.

I've read all of the threads going over the pros and cons of a 3rd party warranty, and am not trying to beat this dead horse any further, just throwing my thoughts out there for general conversation purposes...
Old 05-02-18, 06:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I’d do it for the peace of mind.
Old 05-02-18, 06:42 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
I'm considering adding the CNA Comprehensive Warranty to this new LS600hL. Per Jeff Traynham (guy mentioned in many current forum topics as having the best nationwide prices on the CNA warranties), I can get a 6 year, 48k mile, $200 deductible warranty for $2887. That's somewhat tempting, based on the risk of failure of the air ride suspension, control arms, hybrid components, brake actuator, etc... I only drive around 8K miles per year, so I'd get the full 6 years of coverage with this warranty.

I've read all of the threads going over the pros and cons of a 3rd party warranty, and am not trying to beat this dead horse any further, just throwing my thoughts out there for general conversation purposes...
Just make sure warranty covers "air ride suspension, control arms, hybrid components, brake actuator etc ". Also if you are interested, could inquire them about warranty covering electronics. Your car has tons of electronics.
Old 05-02-18, 06:48 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I have never bought a warranty before and I think of it like gambling, where the house tends to win. I usually would rather take the risk and save for a rainy day. However, the air suspension (and reported brake actuator repairs) does give me pause. At the coverage quoted for the price, I think I would go for that if I were in your shoes. I've read of more problems with your MY than the 2013+. that's also because the higher mileage is not there yet for 2013+ MY to accurately determine the risk, but history shows that air suspension won't last forever.

I just received a price quote from Jeff myself. The only one that I would consider of all options he quoted is 4 yr/48K with $200 deductible for $3,312. I'm not sure I'm going to go for this. I think I'd rather take the risk but I'm thinking about it and trying to get one more quote. Apparently, the higher you get in miles, the more expensive the cost. Mileage appears to affect the price more than age. My vehicle has just under 87K miles.
Old 05-02-18, 07:02 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Would you have this vehicle for 6 years? If I read correctly, seems you tend to not keep your vehicles for that long.
Old 05-02-18, 07:21 AM
riknchar
Instructor

I've been reading the CNA warranty contract, and it does appear fairly promising. The warranty is "Exclusionary," meaning everything is covered except for specific items listed as excluded. On first read, it actually appears that the hybrid batteries are included (which would be surprising, but very good for peace of mind). The contract says:

PROPULSION BATTERY COVERAGE: When your vehicle is an electric, hybrid or plug-in electric hybrid, the propulsion battery is covered subject to the following: Your vehicle's propulsion battery pack has suffered a Breakdown only when it retains less than seventy percent (70%) of its original charge-holding capacity.

I'm not sure about the 70% requirement, but I do know that when our LS600 batteries fail, the car isn't drivable at all. Seems like they may be covered. I'm seeking confirmation from Jeff.

All other electronics and suspension items (air shocks, control arms, etc.) appear to be covered. The audio speakers are not covered (makes sense), and the exhaust system and catalytic converter are not covered (wasn't there a massive $7k repair required on one of our forum member's LS600 catalytic converter a while back?).

I'm also not quite sure if I could use Lexus of Omaha for my covered repairs, since their labor rate is pretty high. Anyone use their CNA warranty to have repairs done at their local Lexus dealer?

If the batteries are covered, this seems like a pretty nice deal for peace of mind... Even if they aren't it may still be worth it...
Old 05-02-18, 07:26 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Would you have this vehicle for 6 years? If I read correctly, seems you tend to not keep your vehicles for that long.
Like many "car addicts," I keep saying that this is "the one" that I'll keep for a long time ;-) The longest I've kept a car is a little over 3 years, and that was my previous LS600hL. At this point, given the fact that my new LS600 has pretty much every possible option, I think (hope?) that I will remain satisfied with the car for 6 years. If I take away the fear of expensive repairs (via the warranty), that would encourage me even more to keep the car for all 6 years.

If I do get a wild hair and trade the car in sooner, the warranty is refundable (pro-rated), so I'd get money back for the unused portion.
Old 05-02-18, 07:37 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

If I do get a wild hair and trade the car in sooner, the warranty is refundable (pro-rated), so I'd get money back for the unused portion.
Do you know if you end of not having to use the warranty at all, if it's refundable?

Last edited by Mbbarron; 05-02-18 at 07:38 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-02-18, 07:44 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
Do you know if you end of not having to use the warranty at all, if it's refundable?
No, I don't think it works like that. It's only refundable based on how long you've had it (time and mileage). For the first 60 days, as long as you haven't made a claim, it's fully refundable. After that, your refund is pro-rated based on how long you've had the warranty (minus a $50 processing fee). For example, if you buy a 4 year, 48K mile warranty and request to cancel it after 2 years/24k miles, you'll get reimbursed half the cost of the original warranty (minus the $50).

If you buy the warranty and never need it (which is a distinct possibility with a Lexus LS), you don't get anything back. But you will have had peace of mind during the warranty, and that's worth something.
Old 05-02-18, 07:56 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Okay, Jeff has confirmed that the Hybrid Batteries are now covered by the CNA Preferred Care Plus warranty that I'd be buying! This may be a "game changer" for many forum members who would like the extra benefits of the LS600hL, but fear the cost of hybrid battery failure.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, and will definitely alleviate any fear I have about battery failure or suspension issues. I'm going for it! 6 years, 48K miles for $2887 with a $200 deductible.
Old 05-02-18, 08:53 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Okay, Jeff has confirmed that the Hybrid Batteries are now covered by the CNA Preferred Care Plus warranty that I'd be buying! This may be a "game changer" for many forum members who would like the extra benefits of the LS600hL, but fear the cost of hybrid battery failure.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, and will definitely alleviate any fear I have about battery failure or suspension issues. I'm going for it! 6 years, 48K miles for $2887 with a $200 deductible.
I think that sounds like a smart move, especially considering all the bells and whistles you have on your fully loaded 600HL. Maybe this will encourage you to keep it for 6 years and prevent you from continuing to "shop" Cargurus, etc. Wishing you many happy, worry-free years of enjoyable driving!
Old 05-02-18, 10:45 AM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

First, congratulations on a great find!

Second, does the CNA warranty cover the hybrid battery? If it does, then I would jump on it.
Old 05-02-18, 11:09 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by hfahmy
First, congratulations on a great find!

Second, does the CNA warranty cover the hybrid battery? If it does, then I would jump on it.
Yep, the CNA warranty will cover the hybrid battery! As far as I know, this is the first company I've heard of that will cover this part. I went ahead and purchased the 6-year warranty for $2887. I may never need it, but it's nice to know I have nothing to fear on the car, mechanically.
Old 05-02-18, 11:11 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
I think that sounds like a smart move, especially considering all the bells and whistles you have on your fully loaded 600HL. Maybe this will encourage you to keep it for 6 years and prevent you from continuing to "shop" Cargurus, etc. Wishing you many happy, worry-free years of enjoyable driving!
Thanks for the encouraging words, Michele! I've taken the "no-CarGurus" pledge and will try to be disciplined in keeping this car for the entire 6 years of warranty coverage! Good luck with your new LS460L also! Is it on its way to you yet? That Matador Mica exterior with Parchment interior is "da bomb!"

Quick Reply: My "New" 2010 LS600hL!