Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2015 up NX300H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX300H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other first generation NX models.

Nx hybrid in the mountains

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-18, 05:11 AM
worldcat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nx hybrid in the mountains

Was wondering if anyone uses their NX in the mountains? IF so how does it do? I know the hybrid doesn't have the greatest of power. I have a place in the mountain that i go to that i have to climb a big hill.
Any thoughts from anyone would help.
Thanks!
The road is gravel that goes up to the cabin.
Old 07-06-18, 04:16 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Your info pane shows you are in Virginia, so you would probably be OK. The mountains out there aren’t very tall . But all kidding aside, they aren’t as gutless as many people seem to think. I guess it really depends on how steep and long the grades are that you anticipate climbing. I understand why you might be apprehensive about using a hybrid in this environment and your caution is wise. How close is your dealership to this mountain road? A test drive would be the best way to be sure, but a dealer is unlikely to consent to a test drive in off-road conditions.

I would be more concerned about the fact that the hybrid isn’t a true AWD in the conventional sense. If the mountain road you climb is gravel, I would think traction will be very important to you. There is no mechanical linkage to the rear drive wheels in the hybrid. The rear are powered by an electric motor. This is fine for the commuter type traffic that I would suspect most of us use them for, but I would probably prefer a more traditional layout for any serious mountain gravel conditions. This flavor of AWD works well for slick paved roads, but I’m not so convinced as to its effectiveness on steep gravel roads. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by TechNut; 07-06-18 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-07-18, 06:03 AM
worldcat
Rookie

I am with you. The dealer is a ways away.
Old 07-08-18, 06:39 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Sure am I not why hybrid does not have enough power. Electric motors are very torquey and after two hybrids, I'll question such statement.
All will happen is your ICE will run just as regular engine, going up hill - but assisted by motor generators.
I had ZERO issues taking on very steep hills in my Highlander Hybrid. Even winter time and loaded up the roof, as we moved in December and SUV was used as truck, basically. Loaded AND towing a trailer.
That said, at toyotanation, in HiHy section, there was a report from owner, traversing similar environment. Same situation - mountain cabin at steep hill summit, gravel road. He stated that he could not get up the hill. Not sure how and why. 12% serpentine grade I take on daily is no issue whatsoever. Hybrid AWD proved, to me, to be stellar.
Old 07-10-18, 05:22 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Sure am I not why hybrid does not have enough power. Electric motors are very torquey and after two hybrids, I'll question such statement.
All will happen is your ICE will run just as regular engine, going up hill - but assisted by motor generators.
I had ZERO issues taking on very steep hills in my Highlander Hybrid. Even winter time and loaded up the roof, as we moved in December and SUV was used as truck, basically. Loaded AND towing a trailer.
That said, at toyotanation, in HiHy section, there was a report from owner, traversing similar environment. Same situation - mountain cabin at steep hill summit, gravel road. He stated that he could not get up the hill. Not sure how and why. 12% serpentine grade I take on daily is no issue whatsoever. Hybrid AWD proved, to me, to be stellar.
In my Lexus Hybrid, driving spiritedly with friends up mountain roads, keeping up with them requires lots of hybrid battery power and it will drain down to two bars quite quickly. After which I have a very slow heavy car. The battery condition was well within new car spec.

Old 07-10-18, 08:02 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts

Has anyone driven the hybrid compared to a non hybrid? I ask only because I find out 2018 NX quite slow. It's fine once you get up to highway speed and cruising at 70-80mph... but the initial take off isn't there. I wonder if the hybrid because of the instant torque would make it feel better/quicker? The dealership was telling me that the hybrid would be quicker..., but I have yet to test drive one yet.

-Nigel
Old 07-11-18, 04:18 PM
Coinops
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nigel821
Has anyone driven the hybrid compared to a non hybrid? I ask only because I find out 2018 NX quite slow. It's fine once you get up to highway speed and cruising at 70-80mph... but the initial take off isn't there. I wonder if the hybrid because of the instant torque would make it feel better/quicker? The dealership was telling me that the hybrid would be quicker..., but I have yet to test drive one yet.

-Nigel
I own a 2017 NX300h and have driven loaner 200ts. I think the hybrid is quicker of the line, but the turbo is quicker stomping on the accelerator from 30-60 mph. After driving Lexus hybrids for over 6 years (we also have a 2012 CT), I've found that it is much "drivable" when in sport mode than normal with no loss of gas mileage. In sport mode, theree is much better throttle response since the hybrid batts kick in much sooner to assist the ICE than in normal mode.
Old 07-12-18, 10:15 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

For its quickness off the line alone, I prefer the hybrid in sport mode over the 200t, but I see little difference between the two in sport mode in all other aspects.

I would buy the hybrid if it came in the F-Sport model with its distinctive grill, but until it does, I'm extremely pleased with my 200t F-Sport.
Old 07-13-18, 05:46 AM
worldcat
Rookie

Can it climb a hill?
Old 07-13-18, 04:53 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by worldcat
Can it climb a hill?
Um, yeah, that's why I wrote "I see little difference between the two in sport mode in all other aspects."

But I guess it depends on what you call a "hill." I've driven both the hybrid and non-hybrid up and down a hill that is just over 4300 feet in elevation (I-5 over the Siskiyou Summit in Oregon) with no discernable difference in performance.