Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

2015 ES300H whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 04:12 PM
Plim89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 ES300H whining noise

Hello everyone:

I recently bought a 2015 ES300H at 34,000 miles. During my test drive, I didn’t notice any engine noise (salesman had the ac on and the radio playing). But after driving a while on the freeway, I noticed a high pitch whine seemingly coming from the front of the car. It is not usually present when in electric only mode. The noise is noticeable from 45 mph and higher, with the pitch getting higher with speed. The noise gets drowned out usually when accelerating to highway speeds, but is very noticeably when coasting at highway speeds. I have taken it into the dealer twice for this problem. The first time, thy said they didn’t hear it. The second time, I asked a technician to drive with me and he heard it instantly. The dealership took the car for a few days and called back saying that they compared the noise to other ES300H around the same year and mileage and did not notice much difference. I was told that the sound is the electric motor and there is nothing that they can do about the noise. Now, the loaner car that I got was a 2018 ES300H with 6000 miles on it. I drove the same way I would in my car to work and there was absolutely no whine from the car. I asked the technician why there was such a big difference and he couldn’t give me a straight answer. He claimed the mileage may be a factor, so I asked him if the 2018 would experience similar noise problems when it reached 30,000 miles and he couldn’t answer that question either.

I really like this car, but the electric motor mosquito like noise is really driving me crazy. I have fairly sensitive ears so I can hear the whine over my music. Is it really normal? And Is there anything that I can do to reduce this noise?
Old 09-04-18, 05:17 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe there has been a thread about whining sound coming from the electric motor at speeds 45-50mph. I did notice this on my car, but the whining sound goes away at higher speeds. not sure if we are talking about the same thing. but that whining sound is normal, just the way the hybrid system works on this car. I actually don't notice it unless I make conscious effort to look for it.
Old 09-04-18, 05:27 PM
Plim89
Driver School Candidate

I have scoured all of the other forums and have seen the various other threads. I should have posted this in one of the other threads. I apologize.

We may be talking about the same whining noise, but mine is not drowned out by the road noise. I believe it may be differences in the volume of the whining sound and the hearing ability of the driver. If my ears are more sensitive than those of other people, so be it. However the technician who went with me on the drive along also heard it right away, which leads me to believe that it’s not just my supersonic hearing. I can hear the noise clearly with no music on. Turning on music does make it less noticeable, but I can still hear it faintly. At times, it even makes the hair on my arm stand on edge. I wish I could upload a video clip of the sound, but it says that the file is too big. I’ll have to find a way to compress the file when I get home from work.
Old 09-04-18, 05:34 PM
GES
Pole Position

I usually have music or radio on all the time in my car so it is not obvious. But If I turn the music off, and pay attention I can clearly hear it.
I believe at 45-47mph is when the electric motor is spinning at its highest speed before the engine kicks in, that is why maybe it is a bit louder.
Old 09-04-18, 05:49 PM
GES
Pole Position

Here is the thread I was referring to:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ing-noise.html
Old 09-04-18, 05:50 PM
Plim89
Driver School Candidate

That makes sense about the electric motor speed. I do notice the engine kick in around that speed.

The music does drown out most of the whining noise, but my ears still pick up the whine over the music. Sometimes, the whining noise will create a dissonant chord with the music and it’s like someone ran their nails across a chalk board.
Old 09-04-18, 05:53 PM
Plim89
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I believe I have read through all of the related threads. The answers that were provided included:

Ask the dealership to check my flux capacitor (haha)
Check transmission fluid level
It’s normal

I have not found a real solution amongst the threads. It may be that there isn’t one. But I thought I’d post a new thread on the forums just in case.
Old 09-04-18, 06:02 PM
GES
Pole Position

Now that you mentioned it. Maybe the 300h does have flux capacitor since it is half electric...LOL
Old 09-04-18, 10:30 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

A deeper whining sound is from the traction motor (MG2), you'll hear it in EV mode or when doing brake regen. A higher pitched sound is from the inverter, especially when there's a lot of power going through the system like during highway coasting. It seems that some people are more sensitive to the latter noise. I can really hear it when I'm on a steep uphill climb with the windows down.

If you still get a whining noise, you might want to check for a hungry kid in the back.
Old 09-05-18, 06:48 AM
Plim89
Driver School Candidate

Is there a way that I could confirm that the inverter is the culprit? And if the inverter is the component that is making this sound, is there something that can be done to fix it? Would replacing the inverter get rid of the noise? Or is this characteristic of all inverters? (I don’t even know what an inverter is...)

Old 09-05-18, 01:58 PM
jstagn
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just drove 2019 es300h noise seems gone very quiet good power no glass roof seems available
Old 09-05-18, 02:05 PM
Plim89
Driver School Candidate

The loaner 2018 ES300H that I drove around also did not have this whining noise. The dealership called me to tell me that the noise was similar in another 2015 ES300H with similar mileage. I asked them to allow me to ride along with them to verify the noise. They said that they don’t have the car here anymore. How convenient.
So when I have an issue and present the car to them, they first say they can’t hear it and force me to do a drive along with a technician to verify the issue. However when I want the same to verify that the noise is actually present at a similar volume in the similar car that they supposedly test drove, it’s a no go.
Tbh, this isn’t the treatment that I was expecting from Lexus.
If this whining noise is within the normal operating range, then Lexus should not market this car as a luxury vehicle.
Old 09-05-18, 03:54 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 650 Posts

Recall that a traditional car makes IC motor exhaust noise 100% of the time, power
steering pump and fluid noise 100%..., accessory belt and pulley noise 100%... alternator
whirring sound 100%, you get my gist? The Lexus/Toyota Hybrid arrangement bolts the
40 HP MG unit to the IC motor, starts without a noisy "Bendix" engagement, converts the
288 v DC into 12v DC for the headlights silently, drives up to 40 mph on electric alone near
silently (it is why they includes the grille mounted speaker to warn pedestrians!) and has
a consistent A/C compressor sound that doesn't vary with engine speed.

When we hear a sound, particularly a non-traditional automotive sound, cut through the
silence it can be construed to be a problem. We have had a 2010 HS250h, a 2014 ES300h
and now are driving a 2018 ESh. The regenerative whine that the OP seems to be hearing
does get your attention after the nearly silent drive experience but is normal. I do not discount
the possibility that the OP has a real mechanical problem, but a varying amount of coast-down
whine is acceptable. Think of it as the sound of money being put back in your battery!

The inverter changes the 288v DC that the battery supplies into the 650v AC that the
Motor/Generators (MG1 and MG2) use to propel the car and start the IC motor. It has
a separate cooling system, look under the hood and see two different coolant tanks.
Old 09-05-18, 04:05 PM
Plim89
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the information!
I completely understand what you are saying about the otherwise silent drive of the Lexus hybrid. However, the sound is so noticeable that the technician who is doing the drive along with me remarked on how loud it was almost immediately. I don’t mind a little noise. I don’t even mind the regenerative break noise (probably because it’s not constant). But this whining noise seems louder than should be acceptable.

Perhaps I have supersonic hearing. But I am a dentist so I have to listen to my high speed drill and ultrasonic instruments all day. I would prefer I don’t have to listen to a similar noise to and from work.
Old 09-05-18, 06:16 PM
92hbhb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How ironic that this topic came up.. I just picked up a 13 es300h last month w/ about 72k miles, now 75k.. I happened to be driving very conservatively today on the back roads and happened to hear this "whine" as well (speeds up to 45-50 mph). Granted this is a Lexus and my hearing is as good as a dog's, so the new noise caught my attention. We've already taken the car on 2 road trips and I never realized the slight whine during the trips, likely due to the hwy speeds, conversation, and radio playing. I also have a 12 Camry XLE Hybrid since 2012 and never heard this whine on the Camry. For now, the noise is not impacting the performance/operation of the car so I may just accept it. Just unusual for this Lexus, i would say..

Quick Reply: 2015 ES300H whining noise