Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

2018 450h - Energy Monitor stay on startup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 09:34 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Default 2018 450h - Energy Monitor stay on startup?

Finally did what I should have done in the first place and traded in my 2016 RX350 for the 2018 RX450h. Both are the Executive models here in Canada, so it's got all the bells and whistles. Loving the h so far.

Of course, the latest toy I'm playing with now is the Energy Monitor info screen (distracted driving notwithstanding). It's fun to see where the energy is flowing on the main 12" display as I learn how to optimize driving a hybrid. Had previously driven a loaner CT200h and various Priuses briefly, so I'm not particularly new to hybrids, but never for a long spell.

In any case, in my two days with the new car, I've noticed that when I shut down the car with the Energy Monitor screen; when I start up the car again, it always defaults back to the Navi/Map display. It's similar to when you make a phone call and it always returns to the Navi screen no matter what mode you were previously in. One of the annoyances that I see Lexus hasn't fixed in the 2018.

Has anyone been able to get the display to stay on the Info/Energy Monitor screen when the car restarts? If I have it in Audio/Radio mode, it stays there on restart, but not the Energy Monitor. It gets annoying having to hit the Menu button then navigate to the Info icon everytime I start up the car. I've scoured the manual and all the car settings, but can't find any reference to it.

On an aside, I'm seriously impressed with the mileage this car is capable of. In 2 days, I've already logged more than 120km, mostly in city driving with a lot of the hills around Vancouver/Burnaby to deal with. Car is reporting average of 7.0L/100km (33.6 mpg) since I reset it at the beginning, and the fuel gauge has not budged from F. Compare that with my departed 350 which would do around 13.8-14L/100km (16 - 17mpg) in the same commute basically, and 120km of driving means the fuel gauge is at the 3/4 mark. I'm a happy camper.
Old 09-19-18, 06:10 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You can certainly get the little tiny version of that above the steering wheel to come up every time you start the car as a default. However I've never found a way to get the big screen version to come up again without the process you mention. Certainly interested to see if anyone else found a way as that screen "shows off" the car in a way no other does.
Old 09-21-18, 03:54 AM
garyclee
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There was an option in the General settings (Auto screen change) to not return to the default screen (which is the map screen). I believe if you turn this off, it will always stay on the screen that you are on and not return to the nav screen. I have it start up on the audio display.

Last edited by garyclee; 09-21-18 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 10:34 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by garyclee
There was an option in the General settings (Auto screen change) to not return to the default screen (which is the map screen). I believe if you turn this off, it will always stay on the screen that you are on and not return to the nav screen. I have it start up on the audio display.
Have tried that. Unfortunately it only affects the Audio and Climate displays,and prevents it from automatically going back to the Nav screen after a certain number of seconds.
Old 09-21-18, 04:47 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

I had the energy monitor on the right side of the split screen that remains on start up.
​​​​​​Not sure if that will work for you.

I have the 12.3 inch display
Old 09-30-18, 07:24 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by garyclee
I do not see an option of Auto Screen. I have a 2018 450hl and the only option I can see is to have a photo stay on at startup and when the display is off. I have a photo that is set to stay on at startup and when the monitor is off, but it only flashes on at startup and then defaults to the Navigation screen. Wish I could either have the photo always on or the Energy screen as the default.

Old 10-07-18, 10:51 AM
jstagn
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have 2016 rx350, quiet, smooth, lease coming up. Want another rx, may consider hybrid. Mainly interested in ride, noise, overall smoothness. Options and gas mileage are not important . If you have had both,interested in your comments. Thanks, Joe
Old 10-07-18, 11:35 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jstagn
Have 2016 rx350, quiet, smooth, lease coming up. Want another rx, may consider hybrid. Mainly interested in ride, noise, overall smoothness. Options and gas mileage are not important . If you have had both,interested in your comments. Thanks, Joe
It's a bit off topic, but I'll try and respond briefly to your questions. I've done 1700km on my '18h now, including a trip down to Seattle (2.5 hrs away).

- Ride: Tires can be a factor. My 450h came with Bridgestones vs the Michelins I had on the 350; and the difference is noticeable. Bridgestones were noisier over the same pavement, and harsher. Biggest difference between the hybrid and 350 is the torque down low - you feel the instant pep from the electric motors at low speeds; and it makes the heavier hybrid feel lighter on its feet when taking off compared to the 350.
- Noise: in town driving, not even close. The hybrid is near silent in electric mode; and the muted growl when the engine kicks in is still quieter overall than the non-hybrid. On the highway though, it's a different story. Not sure if it's still in the breaking in process; but the hybrid does feel noisier on the highway. It might be the CVT that seems to be operating at slightly higher rpms compared to the 8-spd; and there's a definite drone that I can hear at over 110km/h (65mph). Not sure if that's the infamous CVT howl as I've never owned a hybrid prior.
- Overall smoothness: As above, at lower speeds, the hybrid is the king here. No gear shifts, although it might take a while to get used to the higher constant rpm with the CVT. I noted a bit of buzziness when there's a lot of load on the engine and motor (like constant acceleration uphill), but again, I'm not sure if it's just my car, or the break-in process since I don't recall anyone else mentioning this before. Will have to monitor. At higher highway speeds though, I have to say my 350 did feel smoother; but then again, I put in 52k km on the 350 vs a barely broken in hybrid.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-18, 05:43 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Almost bought an MDX Sport Hybrid. Love the torque vectoring capabilities and wishing Lexus had the same. Regardless, this is my 5th Toyota product, first Lexus, first hybrid. Very satisfied so far.

Yea, way off topic.
Old 11-12-18, 01:10 PM
brucemckay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. Tried your suggestion but no luck.
Old 11-12-18, 01:22 PM
brucemckay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I upgraded my RX350 to the RX450h 2 weeks ago and found the ride to be a little firmer and little more road noise. I believe it's due to the larger 20 inch wheels with lower profile tyres. The seats are also firmer, but this could improve with time/use. There are other irritations such as the inability to change the default on the info screen, removal of the cup/water bottle holder in front of the air vent on the drivers side and removal of the tray for incidentals in the centre console. However, it's a luxury vehicle with an abundance of creature comforts.
Old 11-12-18, 04:09 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by brucemckay
I upgraded my RX350 to the RX450h 2 weeks ago and found the ride to be a little firmer and little more road noise. I believe it's due to the larger 20 inch wheels with lower profile tyres. The seats are also firmer, but this could improve with time/use. There are other irritations such as the inability to change the default on the info screen, removal of the cup/water bottle holder in front of the air vent on the drivers side and removal of the tray for incidentals in the centre console. However, it's a luxury vehicle with an abundance of creature comforts.
You are correct in regards to the tires. The 20 inchers have narrower sidewalls with less flex so it degrades the ride. They look good, but really low-profile tires are about handling and performance.