Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES 300h - Hybrid battery replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 09:02 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
The warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles. At typical driving the warranty would be up around the end of this year.
Actually, if you live in a US state that follows CARB regulations, that warranty is 10 years. I do not recall if the mileage “allowance” changes, but my guess is that it stayed at 100 thousand miles.

If you are curious about your state, here is a site that talks about emissions in general. The top paragraph talks about the California emission standards and identifies those states that follow it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit...Motor_vehicles
Old 07-31-20, 07:21 AM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery dies at about 120k

Originally Posted by jahatl513
My battery is going strong, but for research purposes my 2013 has 90K miles on it. I assume I'll get another 100K out of it in miles or 3-5 years. I wonder if anyone has replaced theirs? With what? Has anyone used Green Bean Battery?
I been researching and those batteries die at about 120k. Coincidentally right after the warranty is up. Also, i found out were supposed to clean the blower motor as that's the reason they fail.
Old 07-31-20, 08:45 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjchicago
I been researching and those batteries die at about 120k. Coincidentally right after the warranty is up. Also, i found out were supposed to clean the blower motor as that's the reason they fail.
I don't know where you obtained that statistic but I don't believe it. I am aware of one Camry that had its drive battery replaced right around that 120K point (at ten years old), but I know of quite a few that have exceeded that. A Prius taxi I recently rode in was at 230K and was still going strong with original battery and original brakes. I have owned hybrids since 2006 and never read or seen any indication that they tend to fail around the 120k mark, although to be fair I have never owned a hybrid beyond about 55K miles and 5 years of age.

As to cleaning the blower motor (and apparently there is a filter as well), I have heard about that - although I haven't heard if it is a regular maintenance item. It would certainly make sense that it be considered a scheduled/planned maintenance item if lack of cleaning is potentially detrimental to the battery life. I haven't checked, but do you know if this is on the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule?
The following 3 users liked this post by TechNut:
jjchicago (07-31-20), jollick (07-31-20), NdYAG (07-31-20)
Old 07-31-20, 08:49 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

2020 Lexus/Toyota Hybrids now have a 120 month (10 Year) or 150,000 mile warrantee on the battery.
Old 07-31-20, 09:44 AM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TechNut
I don't know where you obtained that statistic but I don't believe it. I am aware of one Camry that had its drive battery replaced right around that 120K point (at ten years old), but I know of quite a few that have exceeded that. A Prius taxi I recently rode in was at 230K and was still going strong with original battery and original brakes. I have owned hybrids since 2006 and never read or seen any indication that they tend to fail around the 120k mark, although to be fair I have never owned a hybrid beyond about 55K miles and 5 years of age.

As to cleaning the blower motor (and apparently there is a filter as well), I have heard about that - although I haven't heard if it is a regular maintenance item. It would certainly make sense that it be considered a scheduled/planned maintenance item if lack of cleaning is potentially detrimental to the battery life. I haven't checked, but do you know if this is on the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule?
How do you know the taxi with the hybrid you rode in was never changed? The taxi driver told you? 🤔. They don't do maintenance usually they're not mechanics. Also, if you never owned one past 55k you wouldn't know. These cars are relatively new. I'm talking about the lexus. The prius more advanced because they've been working on them longer. See
Old 07-31-20, 09:50 AM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer
2020 Lexus/Toyota Hybrids now have a 120 month (10 Year) or 150,000 mile warrantee on the battery.
I learned not to trust the dealer and the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. When they say life of the vehicle they really mean life of the warranty. After the warranty you have to pay for repairs. See
Old 07-31-20, 09:56 AM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer
I learned not to trust the dealer and the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. When they say life of the vehicle they really mean life of the warranty. After the warranty you have to pay for repairs.
I don't believe we have the warning signs yet, our battery just fails
See
Old 07-31-20, 10:02 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 189 Likes on 131 Posts

I suggest we all just ignore this troll and don't waste our time responding.
Old 07-31-20, 10:14 AM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NdYAG
I suggest we all just ignore this troll and don't waste our time responding.
Why call me a troll? Just because you don't like the truth?

​​​I have absolutely zero intentions of trolling just warning people based off of EVIDENCE which i provided.

Hopefully we don't become like fan boys that hate the truth.
https://youtu.be/p0F5e-lrlWQ

Last edited by jjchicago; 07-31-20 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-31-20, 05:58 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjchicago
How do you know the taxi with the hybrid you rode in was never changed? The taxi driver told you? 🤔. They don't do maintenance usually they're not mechanics. Also, if you never owned one past 55k you wouldn't know. These cars are relatively new. I'm talking about the lexus. The prius more advanced because they've been working on them longer. See https://youtu.be/pVHknuW0u4c
The driver is also the owner. He is a friend, and he and his wife operate two vehicles as taxicabs. Therefore he is responsible for the maintenance on these vehicles, even though he isn’t a mechanic himself. In this case, he actually does some of his own work but defers major work to an independent shop.

I stated the fact that I haven’t owned one over 55K miles so as not to exaggerate my experience. I am an avid reader and have always been somewhat fascinated with hybrid vehicles, but yes, my actual experience is with relatively new hybrids.

Finally, I am well aware that we are talking about Lexus vehicles given this subforum on which we are both contributing. Toyota is the parent company of Lexus so you cannot discount that they may share designs/technology. You may not be aware, but this hybrid drivetrain is lifted directly from the Toyota Avalon hybrid. Manufacturers typically share engineering between their models in order to keep their manufacturing costs down.
The following users liked this post:
jjchicago (07-31-20)
Old 07-31-20, 06:36 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 189 Likes on 131 Posts

Please just ignore him. Don't argue or try to convince him. He is a typical troll. Check his post on GSh forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...ry-life-2.html
Old 07-31-20, 07:45 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Please just ignore him. Don't argue or try to convince him. He is a typical troll. Check his post on GSh forum:

He is certainly consistent. He has posted this same thing in at least three different threads. LOL
Old 07-31-20, 09:04 PM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

The driver is also the owner. He is a friend, and he and his wife operate two vehicles as taxicabs. Therefore he is responsible for the maintenance on these vehicles, even though he isn’t a mechanic himself. In this case, he actually does some of his own work but defers major work to an independent shop.

I stated the fact that I haven’t owned one over 55K miles so as not to exaggerate my experience. I am an avid reader and have always been somewhat fascinated with hybrid vehicles, but yes, my actual experience is with relatively new hybrids.

Finally, I am well aware that we are talking about Lexus vehicles given this subforum on which we are both contributing. Toyota is the parent company of Lexus so you cannot discount that they may share designs/technology. You may not be aware, but this hybrid drivetrain is lifted directly from the Toyota Avalon hybrid. Manufacturers typically share engineering between their models in order to keep their manufacturing costs down.
Ok. Thanks for clarifying about the taxi driver. That makes more sense now.
Old 07-31-20, 09:10 PM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

You're the typical closed minded fan boy. Yeah I've been researching and making people aware and contributing to the forums about this. I've also talked to the dealer and they said the batteries last from 100k to 150 or 200k.

I don't think you know the definition of a troll. A troll causes confusion just for the sake of causing confusion. Like i said, i've provided actual EVIDENCE of the engines dying and the dirty blower motors. Foh
Old 08-02-20, 11:16 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

this is the first time I have heard about the blower motor filter
so how does this get changed ? if I not mechanically included is it something I can do on my own or would I need to ask a shop to do it ? do you have a part number for this filter by chance ? os ar you taking about the cabin air filter being the blower motor filter ?
is so I change that every 12 months about 60k but check it even more often just doesn't seem to be bad until about the 12 month mark on all my ES I have owned

Quick Reply: ES 300h - Hybrid battery replacement.