Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES 300h - Hybrid battery replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 12:23 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
this is the first time I have heard about the blower motor filter
so how does this get changed ? if I not mechanically included is it something I can do on my own or would I need to ask a shop to do it ? do you have a part number for this filter by chance ? os ar you taking about the cabin air filter being the blower motor filter ?
is so I change that every 12 months about 60k but check it even more often just doesn't seem to be bad until about the 12 month mark on all my ES I have owned

Checking the blower filter is part of every 5k service listed as "Check HV Battery Cooling Intake Filter" but it's really easy to do yourself.

In the back seat or the floor of the right side there is a plastic cover with a vent being held in place with a plastic screw and some clips. Pop that cover off and the filter is attached to the plastic cover.
Old 08-03-20, 08:26 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

I am not sure when they started the filter but I checked my 2013 ES300h and it does not have the filter. If you have pets in the car it is more of an issue than if you do not.
Old 08-03-20, 11:50 AM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
I am not sure when they started the filter but I checked my 2013 ES300h and it does not have the filter. If you have pets in the car it is more of an issue than if you do not.
The hybrids with the filters use the filter to protect the blower motor as the blower motor accumulates dust etc.. Over time and needs to be cleaned or it doesn't cool the hybrid battery causing it to fail. It's not a serviceable item according to the lexus dealership but they will tell you that's what caused the battery to fail prematurely if it gets dirty. The prius guys learned this from experience. I don't believe it was a serviceable item for them at first but toyota learned from experience to add the filter and make it a serviceable item. It still needs to get cleaned whether you have pets or not. That's why we have the cabin filters and engine filters to protect from contamination. See
Old 08-03-20, 12:20 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
Checking the blower filter is part of every 5k service listed as "Check HV Battery Cooling Intake Filter" but it's really easy to do yourself.

In the back seat or the floor of the right side there is a plastic cover with a vent being held in place with a plastic screw and some clips. Pop that cover off and the filter is attached to the plastic cover.
I have to look closer I guess but the only thing that I see is a vent type thing in the driver left side rear next to the west that you can only see when the door did open is that it or can soemien take a photo of this for me ?
Old 08-03-20, 12:22 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

I have to look closer I guess but the only thing that I see is a vent type thing in the driver left side rear next to the west that you can only see when the door did open is that it or can soemien take a photo of this for me ?
Old 08-03-20, 12:27 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

i don’t know why I can’t pull any info up on this wish there was a how to video so I could check and watch but even without that I google Lexus EV HV blowed filter it only shows me info about cabin filter can you send some links about this please
Old 08-03-20, 12:42 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

This is what I see on the side of my seat for a filter maybe ?
Old 08-03-20, 01:06 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

After doing some more looking around I’m only finding a surging about the HV filter for 2019 and new ES hybrids even when looking for parts only finding a filtered for 2019 and newer
so this only goes for those not 2013-2018 I guess I wondering
Old 08-03-20, 01:15 PM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

After doing some more looking around I’m only finding a surging about the HV filter for 2019 and new ES hybrids even when looking for parts only finding a filtered for 2019 and newer
so this only goes for those not 2013-2018 I guess I wondering
I've been trying to warn people, the prius only added the filter in later models. After realizing the dirt that's that's on the pic in the vent above gets clogged up in the hybrid cooling fan causing it to fail in turn causing the battery to fail. The hybrid battery fan needs to be cleaned about every 30 to 60k in the lexus es300h as well. If you have pets that makes it worse.

The added filter in the 2020 es300h I'm guessing is the reason they extended the warranties to 150,000 miles from 100,000 miles.

Moral of the story is keep that hybrid fan clean!
Old 08-03-20, 01:35 PM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

Notice the 2020 has clean the cooling intake filter (highlighted in red) but the older models all the dirt goes directly to the hybrid motor. Funny I was called a troll for bringing this up and this is actually an issue realized and corrected by lexus.

Last edited by jjchicago; 08-03-20 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-03-20, 03:01 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Thank you! I knew someone else on here had done that but I couldn’t recall which thread it was located in.
Old 08-03-20, 03:10 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

This is the air intake, but I do not know whether there is a serviceable filter in there or not. I can see the openings in yours are full of lint or something. I would sure try to find a strong vacuum and attempt to suck that out. I would NOT use air because you could just blow it through any filtering element.
Old 08-03-20, 05:21 PM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

This service extends the hybrid warranty for 1 year up to 15 years on the lexus hybrids.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servi.../#health-check

Last edited by jjchicago; 08-03-20 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-03-20, 07:02 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jjchicago
This service extends the hybrid warranty for 1 year up to 15 years on the lexus hybrids.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servi.../#health-check

20 yard penalty for posting foreign link not applicable to US residents. First down.
The following 3 users liked this post by 12jimmyjam:
BLexodus (12-10-20), ES2LS (12-03-20), landonm86 (04-12-22)
Old 08-03-20, 07:08 PM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam

20 yard penalty for posting foreign link not applicable to US residents. First down.
It recently came to USA. Talk to your dealership or call lexus.
The following users liked this post:
landonm86 (04-12-22)

Quick Reply: ES 300h - Hybrid battery replacement.