Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES 300h - Hybrid battery replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 07:24 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Just inspected the fan blades on my 2014 ES300h with 117k miles (no filter in 2014 by the way). The blades are still 99% open and functional although there is a thin layer of "dirt" clearly visible. Conclusion - no action necessary till 300k or more - at which point the battery may need to be serviced anyway - so the fan can be cleaned then.

DISCLAIMER: I only occasionally have pets in my car (annual vet visit), usually keep it clean and don't drive in dusty areas with windows open. YMMV

Picture taken with a borescope:

Last edited by NdYAG; 08-03-20 at 07:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (08-04-20)
Old 08-04-20, 07:59 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
Checking the blower filter is part of every 5k service listed as "Check HV Battery Cooling Intake Filter" but it's really easy to do yourself.

In the back seat or the floor of the right side there is a plastic cover with a vent being held in place with a plastic screw and some clips. Pop that cover off and the filter is attached to the plastic cover.
It is only part of the 5k service on 2019 and new not on 2018 and older.
i found this out looking into it more details
but how can I do it on this if the filter is only available for sale and service replacement on 2019 and newer
then how do I clean the filler or fan on the 2016 ? i dont' see the part you posted that would be in the back seat on the right side could you please post a picture of it so I can see what I need to look for on the right side ?
thank you
Old 08-04-20, 08:02 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Just inspected the fan blades on my 2014 ES300h with 117k miles (no filter in 2014 by the way). The blades are still 99% open and functional although there is a thin layer of "dirt" clearly visible. Conclusion - no action necessary till 300k or more - at which point the battery may need to be serviced anyway - so the fan can be cleaned then.

DISCLAIMER: I only occasionally have pets in my car (annual vet visit), usually keep it clean and don't drive in dusty areas with windows open. YMMV

would it be possible for you to post a picture more clear of what I need to look for this fan ? i want to check it in my 2016 ES300h and I'm not sure I'm still lost on how to find it I don't understand how to locate it because what I read is something about a panel on the right side back seat area but I don't know if that's on 2019 and up only which is when the filter was able to be replaced
i don't know if the filter I see on the backseat area when the door is open on the left side there is a vent that i always wondered what it was but not sure how the heck to remove it or if that's even the real issue can you confirm where yours is that you located ? do I have to take the back seat panel apart or do I have to pull the panels inside the trunk out to access where the battery is to check this ?
Old 08-04-20, 08:06 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by TechNut
This is the air intake, but I do not know whether there is a serviceable filter in there or not. I can see the openings in yours are full of lint or something. I would sure try to find a strong vacuum and attempt to suck that out. I would NOT use air because you could just blow it through any filtering element.
i don't think there is a servicble filter for this I only found ones for 2019 and 2020
i see the top of this panel shows the words air bag so I'm afraid to try and pull it out I dont want to have a air bag deploy or malfution but I am thinking if I can pull that panel it would be easier to take a compressor and blow out the lint from it
Old 08-04-20, 09:23 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Looks like 2013-2015 do not have the fine mesh filter while 2016-2018 do. If you have the mesh just clean it with a vacuum cleaner (and maybe a small brush) and check every 5k or so that it stays clean.
Old 08-04-20, 09:43 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 712 Likes on 521 Posts

Good to know! Thank you for a very useful post (not to say many posts aren't useful, but this just offers practical information that we can use to balance our concerns/expectations).
NdYAG (08-04-20)
Old 08-04-20, 10:31 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Ok so I went to the local car wash they have these air compressor houses to blow dirt out of areas I use that and the vacume to get all the link out if the vent in my left rear door area
But now thinking I should still pull the panel off to get out flint or dust that has accumulated behind that but can’t figure out how do I need to remove the back of the back seat to pull that out or do I just tuck my finder between the set side and the panel get a good grip and pull it what ?

Old 08-04-20, 07:40 PM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If toyota / lexus recommends those with a filter to clean the dirt every 5000 miles, i can just imagine how often we need to clean the vents duct work and the fan without a filter that catches the dust. If they say clean it at 5,000, waiting to 100,000+ i don't know.... Without the filter those areas catch more dust. I see the prius guys cleaning more than just the fan for proper cooling of the battery.
See

Last edited by jjchicago; 08-04-20 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-04-20, 09:31 PM
perezdr
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

According to this service bulletin from Toyota for 2013 and 2014 vehicles, the only instance where they recommend a blower cleanup is in very specific, severe use scenarios

1) The vehicle is used for over 15 hours per day.

2) The vehicle is used over 6 days per week.

3) The rear seat is used over 50 times per day.

The following 2 users liked this post by perezdr:
jollick (08-05-20), TechNut (08-05-20)
Old 08-05-20, 11:23 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by perezdr
According to this service bulletin from Toyota for 2013 and 2014 vehicles, the only instance where they recommend a blower cleanup is in very specific, severe use scenarios

1) The vehicle is used for over 15 hours per day.

2) The vehicle is used over 6 days per week.

3) The rear seat is used over 50 times per day.

mine is the 6th gen 2016 is it the same procedure as this ? and if so how do I get to the cooling fan for the HV battery ? do I remove the seat back in the backseat ? or do I remove the paneling inside the trunk ? how do I get to this ?
Old 08-05-20, 11:48 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Yours has a mesh screen - so it does apply.
Old 08-05-20, 12:01 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Yours has a mesh screen - so it does apply.
i’m worried that when I went to the car wash to use their vacuum in there air compressor to get mine cleaned off is I got all the wind out of that that maybe you weren’t got pushed behind the screen so what I wanna do is get that screen panel out so that I can get behind that but I’m struggling with trying to figure out the exact procedure to get that panel out I don’t want to pull the panel and then find out that there is a clip that needs to be removed somewhere and then after breaking it it seems like no one‘s able to answer or I haven’t or I missed where someone did answer explaining how do I do that because what I wanna do is pull that mesh screen trim Oh and then take a microfiber towel or a lint brush or something behind that and be able to pull out any wind or dirt that is beyond that or that might’ve got pushed through the screen mesh filter
Old 08-05-20, 07:01 PM
perezdr
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the dismantling manual I found.

As always, a disclaimer that it can be a dangerous process and your Lexus might not need it. if you see the instructions in the SB above, only vehicles like taxis might qualify for the amount of use you would have to be doing in order to have to clean up the blower once in a while.

Attached Files
jollick (08-06-20)
Old 08-05-20, 07:38 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

It is definitely not easy:

Attached Files
jollick (08-06-20)
Old 08-05-20, 07:58 PM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
would it be possible for you to post a picture more clear of what I need to look for this fan ? i want to check it in my 2016 ES300h and I'm not sure I'm still lost on how to find it I don't understand how to locate it because what I read is something about a panel on the right side back seat area but I don't know if that's on 2019 and up only which is when the filter was able to be replaced
i don't know if the filter I see on the backseat area when the door is open on the left side there is a vent that i always wondered what it was but not sure how the heck to remove it or if that's even the real issue can you confirm where yours is that you located ? do I have to take the back seat panel apart or do I have to pull the panels inside the trunk out to access where the battery is to check this ?
Fan is the white box sitting on the top left of the battery. When you look at it from behind.

Last edited by jjchicago; 08-05-20 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: ES 300h - Hybrid battery replacement.