Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Lexus RX450h 60k service

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 08:58 AM
animageofm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RX450h 60k service

I bought a pre-owned 2013 Lexus 450h at 45k mileage from Lexus, which means it was Lexus certified. The mileage is about 60k now and they are suggesting me a 60k service. Total price is $531+tax. I am debating if this service is required because I believe Lexus Certification should include all these checks. Essentially, I have only driven 15k miles and have always scheduled oil change service.

I asked the same question to the service department, but obviously, they wouldn't bother. Any recommendations/thoughts?

List can be found here. https://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RXh_WSG.pdf Page 55

Last edited by animageofm; 11-29-18 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-29-18, 10:07 AM
salimshah

Received 1,062 Likes on 957 Posts

It is simple. Get a list of items they will do in this service and compare with the one listed in the owners manual.

Then have a good shop do them or do them yourself.

I would advise against neglecting the services listed in the owner's manual.
For the extra services, feel free to post here and let the collective wisdom of the net guide you.

note: the L Certification is only at the time of purchase .. and it does come with some extended warranty which requires manufacturer's recommended services be performed at specified interval by competent mechanic [if it is the dealership then they have the records and if done at another place, Lexus may require proof in case of warranty issues]

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 11-29-18 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-29-18, 11:01 AM
animageofm
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Salim.

I called Lexus service department earlier today before posting in this forum about the list of items and they briefly mentioned a few. For details, they asked me to stop by and talk with a service advisor (the person on phone wasn't a service advisor). Based on the description (I think the lady was just reading it from the manual), it seemed to match the list in the manual. I asked if I could skip a few things like cabin air filter and she requested me to stop by again. At that point, I thought I will leverage some expert advise from this forum.

L certification should include what's in the owner's manual for 60k service. For instance, they should have replaced cabin air filter and performed multi-point inspection during L certification. I am happy to go ahead and move forward with an appointment, just that I couldn't find a logical reason to spend $500+ on a service that might not be required. Not neglecting your suggestion, just thinking out loud.

Last edited by animageofm; 11-29-18 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-29-18, 11:11 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

You said this is a "L Certified" Lexus from a Lexus dealership, right?

If the above is true, then the first two scheduled services are included. Have you gotten hese included free services yet?

You COULD have the 60K mile service done at an independent shop specializing in Toyotas/Lexus much cheaper for about little more than half the price you quoted.

Or if you are handy you could do EVERYTHING listed on the Lexus 60K miles service (see attached) EXCEPT for the brake fluid exchange (around $125 at Toyota dealership where I did my 2013 RX450h) which requires TechStream software to do it correctly (There is a way to do it without, but will require two persons very specific "timed and coordinated efforts"). The oil change COULD be EASILY DIY if you know how. The other items on the list for the various "filter changes" are very easy to do as well (just need to buy the correct filters).

Originally Posted by animageofm
I bought a pre-owned 2013 Lexus 450h at 45k mileage from Lexus, which means it was Lexus certified. The mileage is about 60k now and they are suggesting me a 60k service. Total price is $531+tax. I am debating if this service is required because I believe Lexus Certification should include all these checks. Essentially, I have only driven 15k miles and have always scheduled oil change service.

I asked the same question to the service department, but obviously, they wouldn't bother. Any recommendations/thoughts?

List can be found here. https://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RXh_WSG.pdf Page 54
Old 11-29-18, 11:24 AM
animageofm
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it is L certified and I bought from the dealer.

I only got one oil change included, I had to pay for the other one. The website mentions this:
"From the day you purchase or lease your L/Certified Vehicle, you receive Complimentary Maintenance covering the next four factory-recommended services for two years or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.*".
BTW, I am already past two years now.

I can easily replace cabin air filter and may be engine air filter, they cost about $20-30 based on quick search online, which it looks like Lexus charges over $120 for the same. For oil changes, I would let the service technician help me.

UPDATE: I just called Lexus and they informed me that two free maintenances are included only for new purchases. For the pre-owned vehicles, only one service is complimentary.

Last edited by animageofm; 11-29-18 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-29-18, 11:57 AM
salimshah

My best understanding is that LCERTIFIED program does 4 odometer based services/2yrs (which ever comes first) from the date of purchase. Please check the sale documents.

Next thing is at the time of Lcert purchase all needed services [with the odd reading at time of sale] are done and 160 or so checks (not services) are performed. The service are strictly based on odd reading.

Your labor rates at Lexus are about $120/hr [just a ball park number]

Salim

Old 11-29-18, 12:08 PM
animageofm
Driver School Candidate

That's what I read online. But based on the description from a service advisor (just got a callback from Lexus), only one service was included. So, I guess mine didn't have 4 odometer based services included. So, far I have done an oil change and a 55k mile service.

I am going to install cabin air filter myself, which reduces the cost by about $100.
Old 11-29-18, 05:34 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by animageofm
That's what I read online. But based on the description from a service advisor (just got a callback from Lexus), only one service was included. So, I guess mine didn't have 4 odometer based services included. So, far I have done an oil change and a 55k mile service.

I am going to install cabin air filter myself, which reduces the cost by about $100.
Please do not go by service advisor. Your purchase agreement is the king and it should have service contract should have it spelled out. In fact you should be getting mail notifications every 3 months or so to bring in for service.

It is your vehicle so do what you feel like doing.

The only advice I can give is that make sure the each service spelled out in the owner's manual is performed based on milage/time, hopefully by a competent mechanic.

Salim

Old 11-30-18, 10:37 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

As stated above, it's 20K/2years, whichever comes first. You didn't hit 60K in those 2 years so the 60K service isn't going to be covered.

That said, the maintenance schedule is also mileage/time, whichever comes first. The 72 month/60K service probably should have already been done for a MY2013 vehicle.

Last edited by takeshi74; 11-30-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-30-18, 02:51 PM
animageofm
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. Here is what I ended up doing:
  • Stopped by dealership. They quoted me $670
  • Asked them to remove cabin air filter and engine air filter from the service
  • Asked them to add wiper inserts since it was about $25 additional for two inserts
  • Used a special they were running for oil change service
That brought my total down to $430 including taxes, most of it from the air filters. The list they showed me for 60k mile service seemed almost same as the one in the owner's manual. They did give me a loaner (Lexus NX) and I used it to stop by Walmart and buy engine / cabin air filter.

I also checked my sales contract based on the recommendation from Salim and I didn't find anything stating more than 1 free service anywhere. Since I am over 2 years anyway, I let it go.

In case it is helpful for others, here is what I bought (total of $26 after tax):
FRAM Cabin Air Filter
Engine Air Filter

Its easy to replace them, just watch a couple of youtube videos and that should do it.
Old 12-01-18, 07:04 AM
salimshah

Good for you.

The Certified PreOwned also comes with
3 month of Serius free service.
It comes with 2 yrs of bumper to bumper warranty beyond the base warranty [these days with no milage restriction]. [Base warranty is based on time and miles from day of original purchase].

The L Certified contract is mailed to the new owner.

Salim
Old 12-01-18, 07:13 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Lexus must have different rules for different regions.

I bought my 2010 RX450h in October 2016 and they threw in a 2-year warranty. They paid for everything when the car came in for oil changes and filter replacements. They even replaced the expensive 12v battery and rear hatch gas struts. To put a cherry on top, just as my warranty period was ending a month ago I complained of the seal-barking noise in the brakes, and they replaced the ABS actuator, which is a multi-thousand-dollar repair. The only thing I paid for was a $90 charge to turn off the passenger seat-belt chime (our dog would occasionally visit the passenger seat to check out the view and her weight was enough to trigger the seat-belt reminder).

All this was through the Lexus dealer in Portland, Oregon. I never looked at the warranty paperwork but had been told at the outset that everything was comp'ed, and that's how it turned out. I assume I would have had to pay for wear parts, like wipers and brakes. The 12v battery was weak from the outset, which is probably why they rationalized replacing it.
Old 02-23-19, 02:28 PM
salimshah

Did my 60k service.
Brake fluid change was lot easier. Mrs just put her foot on the brake pedal and the electric pump just kept pumping. Just put plastic pipe to direct the stream to a collector.

For those who want to know what are the service items, simply look up in the book (the thin one)
The list is lot longer than listed in the #10 post of this thread.

Salim
Old 02-27-19, 07:46 AM
salimshah

One of the line items for the 60K service is to re-torque (frame?) nuts and bolts. Any one has picture showing location and the torque values. I guess they would be listed in the service manual.

Salim
Old 02-27-19, 06:44 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Did my 60k service.
Brake fluid change was lot easier. Mrs just put her foot on the brake pedal and the electric pump just kept pumping. Just put plastic pipe to direct the stream to a collector.

For those who want to know what are the service items, simply look up in the book (the thin one)
The list is lot longer than listed in the #10 post of this thread.

Salim
Ok Salim, I still have not done a flush on my brake system, RX400h and I have meant to. So you had your helper push peddle while opening a bleed valve.?

Quick Reply: Lexus RX450h 60k service