Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2015 up NX300H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX300H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other first generation NX models.

First Time Hybrid Owner: How much smooth the ride quality be?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-19, 09:35 PM
rbrtch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Hybrid Owner: How much smooth the ride quality be?

Just purchased a 2019 NX300H last weekend. This is my first time driving a Hybrid car ever, so I'm a but unsure of what to expect from a car driving experience for a Hybrid car. For the most part the ride is smooth and quiet, but I am noticing occasionally some mild shudder/vibration in the car for a brief split second when driving at times. No real noise or anything, but I do feel a bit of vibration in the steering wheel when it occurs. This usually occurs when:

1) When throttling the car from either a complete stop at a traffic light or throttling the car at a turn.
2) When the car decelerates while on the highway and I just started coasting (guessing its the ICE turning off?).

I'm guessing this is just the gasoline engine turning on/off, but wanted to make sure I'm not overly being paranoid? Is this normal behavior to expect while driving the NX Hybrid? Thanks!
Old 01-18-19, 08:28 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

You are being paranoid. Absolutely typical of a new hybrid owner. Yes, it's ICE engaging and disengaging. It will also do this, when you sit still but have heater on. ECU will then run ICE as it pleases to produce heat.
Also, staccato noise at start up and after shut down is normal. Brake actuator priming.
Old 01-18-19, 09:12 AM
rbrtch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I could have sworn I didn't notice it while test driving a different NX300H car, but it could just be that I wasn't paying close enough attention during the brief test drive. I remember reading somewhere that the switch between electric to ICE (and vice versa) should be seamless (like shifting gears in a normal car), but the ICE engaging/disenaging definitely feels more noticeable than regular gear shifting. But ur right, I could just be paranoid =P
Old 01-18-19, 04:52 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

If you are feeling it more than a typical gear shift while the vehicle is in motion, I would consider taking it to the dealer. It should feel very similar to a gear shift. It can be more noticeable while you are at a stop and the ICE is cycling on or off. Without more specifics, I believe you are feeling the normal cycling of the engine however. It is NOT completely transparent.

You may notice some additional mannerisms of the hybrid drivetrain. For example, hybrids use regernerative braking, so when you apply brakes under normal braking situations, you are actually engaging the generator. The actual friction brakes don’t engage unless you brake hard or at the very last moment to arrest the final motion. So it isn’t as easy to get that smooth gliding stop. (Coincidentally, Lexus claims to have improved this behavior in the new 2019 ES. I can confirm from a recent test drive that it has been greatly improved).

You will also also notice that it makes various noises while approaching it or walking away from it. Someone on here once described what’s causing this, but it is normal. We have learned to enjoy our hybrids, but the first one takes some time to get familiar with its idiosyncrasies. Fortunately, there are only a few...
Old 01-18-19, 05:27 PM
rbrtch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I would say in motion above 20mph it feels more in line with a typical gear shift. If the ICE kicks after throttling from a complete stop it feels more noticeable (nothing crazy but more noticeable than a gear shift)
Old 01-18-19, 07:00 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

More noticeable because it feels different