Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 7ES forum for discussion about shared components with other seventh generation ES models.

2019 ES300H loud noise backing up

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 09:05 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2019 ES300H loud noise backing up

my 19 ES300H makes a loud noise in reverse and no so loud in drive on battery
my 2016 was not as loud almost silent in drive and reverse
what do you guys say about this ?
here is the link
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q5vwnbW2pPGmALR26

2019 ES300H
2019 NX300h
my NX does not do it
The following users liked this post:
Pga62180 (07-27-19)
Old 02-05-19, 12:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

More here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...19-es300h.html
Old 02-05-19, 02:44 PM
DelLexusSD
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If it sounds like Darth Vader's TIE fighter, that is the sound that the car makes as in hybrid mode the car is too quiet. To help any pedestrians walking near the car. I've had many friends call it out as sounding like Darth Vader's ship when I am in reverse. I had a 2015 ES that also had a sound, but was much lower and a different tone.

SEE BELOW:

Hybrid vehicles use both a gasoline engine and an electric motor. Electric motors, however, make very little noise compared to gasoline and diesel engines.

The rule requires hybrid and electric vehicles to make audible noise when traveling in reverse or forward at speeds up to about 19 mph. The sound alert isn’t required at higher speeds because other factors, such as tire and wind noise, provide warning.

“We all depend on our senses to alert us to possible danger,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. “With more, quieter hybrid and electrical cars on the road, the ability for all pedestrians to hear as well as see the cars becomes an important factor of reducing the risk of possible crashes and improving safety.”

Old 02-05-19, 04:16 PM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The spaceship noises are required by law in the US, this won't be something you can disable unless you custom code the car.

"the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued its final ruling in February 2018. It requires hybrids and electric vehicles traveling at less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) to emit warning sounds that pedestrians must be able to hear over background noises. The regulation requires full compliance in September 2020, but 50% of "quiet" vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...#United_States
The following users liked this post:
AnthonyMJ (02-05-19)
Old 02-06-19, 02:58 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by amphiprion
The spaceship noises are required by law in the US, this won't be something you can disable unless you custom code the car.

"the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued its final ruling in February 2018. It requires hybrids and electric vehicles traveling at less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) to emit warning sounds that pedestrians must be able to hear over background noises. The regulation requires full compliance in September 2020, but 50% of "quiet" vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...#United_States
thank you guys I believe it just don't like it
let me know if we can silence it
Old 02-08-19, 04:04 AM
wmogolov
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That particular noise really bothered me when I first heard it. In fact, for a short time, I was embarrassed to pull out of my driveway when there were neighbors out in their yards. However, I have gotten used to it, knowing that its a safety feature, and I no longer give it a thought. Hopefully, you will get to that point also. Nonetheless, I completely understand your frustration.
Old 02-10-19, 06:36 PM
Steve300h
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Weird I never heard the backup noise, then today I had the windows rolled down while backing up. Oh! That noise. Yeah that is loud. These cars are stupid quiet when all closed up.
Old 02-11-19, 08:54 AM
djm0226
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone post a video or audio? I know it won't show how loud...but at least we'll know what it sounds like. The only hybrid Lexus I've driven is a 6th gen ES.
Old 02-11-19, 09:00 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djm0226
Can anyone post a video or audio? I know it won't show how loud...but at least we'll know what it sounds like. The only hybrid Lexus I've driven is a 6th gen ES.
I already did the like is in my first post
Old 02-11-19, 09:06 AM
djm0226
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, sorry. I missed that.
Old 02-17-19, 04:33 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

My neck of the woods doesn't require sound alerts on hybrids yet so I'm always ready to honk at pedestrians. The only sound I can hear from outside is the faint inverter whine and that's because I'm a hybrid driver. Most bystanders wouldn't think it meant a car was approaching.
Old 02-17-19, 06:15 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chromedome
My neck of the woods doesn't require sound alerts on hybrids yet so I'm always ready to honk at pedestrians. The only sound I can hear from outside is the faint inverter whine and that's because I'm a hybrid driver. Most bystanders wouldn't think it meant a car was approaching.
I would think any new hybrid would? what do you drive and were
Old 04-05-19, 08:21 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DelLexusSD
If it sounds like Darth Vader's TIE fighter, that is the sound that the car makes as in hybrid mode the car is too quiet. To help any pedestrians walking near the car. I've had many friends call it out as sounding like Darth Vader's ship when I am in reverse. I had a 2015 ES that also had a sound, but was much lower and a different tone.

SEE BELOW:

Hybrid vehicles use both a gasoline engine and an electric motor. Electric motors, however, make very little noise compared to gasoline and diesel engines.

The rule requires hybrid and electric vehicles to make audible noise when traveling in reverse or forward at speeds up to about 19 mph. The sound alert isn’t required at higher speeds because other factors, such as tire and wind noise, provide warning.

“We all depend on our senses to alert us to possible danger,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. “With more, quieter hybrid and electrical cars on the road, the ability for all pedestrians to hear as well as see the cars becomes an important factor of reducing the risk of possible crashes and improving safety.”
I just got my ES Hybrid and I'm hearing a noise. I'm not sure if this is the sound people are talking about. I hear it in reverse and drive at low speeds. I can't tell if it's at higher speeds.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Car Noise.mp3 (202.9 KB, 443 views)
Old 04-05-19, 08:33 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pgiinc
my 19 ES300H makes a loud noise in reverse and no so loud in drive on battery
my 2016 was not as loud almost silent in drive and reverse
what do you guys say about this ?
here is the link
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q5vwnbW2pPGmALR26

2019 ES300H
2019 NX300h
my NX does not do it
The link you posted says album is empty. Does it sound like the sound I posted in my post above this one?
Old 04-05-19, 08:52 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
I just got my ES Hybrid and I'm hearing a noise. I'm not sure if this is the sound people are talking about. I hear it in reverse and drive at low speeds. I can't tell if it's at higher speeds.
That is the low speed pedestrian warning noise, which is normal.

Quick Reply: 2019 ES300H loud noise backing up