Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

No heat for 2 - 3 minutes after my 2013 hybrid start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-19, 01:11 PM
Scottsail2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No heat for 2 - 3 minutes after my 2013 hybrid start.

Greetings,
My 2013 ES300H heater stopped having instant heat after start. I must now wait for the engine temperature to warm before I get any heat, which takes 2-4 minutes. I have two relays, PTC #1 and PTC #2 for the Positive Temperature Coefficient (heating elements) in the ducting. Does anyone have the relay internal circuit and how to test it? There is also a 7.5 amp fuses in the system which is good.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Scott
Old 02-25-19, 04:07 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

I am confused. Our past hybrids, as well as the current ones, do not produce heat until there is warm water in the radiator. I do not understand your statement of “instant heat” as we have never experienced that. Ours have always worked as yours currently functions - so I don’t have a solution. I would like to hear how more about this as you troubleshoot so please keep us posted.
Old 02-25-19, 05:06 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
I am confused. Our past hybrids, as well as the current ones, do not produce heat until there is warm water in the radiator. I do not understand your statement of “instant heat” as we have never experienced that. Ours have always worked as yours currently functions - so I don’t have a solution. I would like to hear how more about this as you troubleshoot so please keep us posted.
Agreed. Hybrids do not provide instant heat in cold temperatures. In fact no car does once the temps drop below a certain level since the engine has to warm up before heat is generated.
Old 02-25-19, 06:00 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

PTC stands for Positive Temperature Coefficient and refers to the electrical resistance of the heating elements in the seats. With a positive temperature coefficient, the resistance of the heating elements goes up as the temperature goes up due to passing an electrical current through them. This type of heating is more comfortable, efficient and reliable than the typical heating elements that have a negative temperature coefficient. But, the point as relates to the battery, is that cars with PTC seat heating are equipped with a cold weather package and require a more robust battery to support mirror heating, seating heating, windshield heating, etc.
Old 02-25-19, 06:18 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Your hybrid is no different than my non-hybrid ES 350. The radiator water must heat and run thru a heater core to produce heat. Your climate control won't even start until the water reaches an established temp. Then the blower will engage and you get warm air. I think your heater is working properly.
Old 02-25-19, 10:04 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Agreed. If heat comes on after a couple of mins of start, there is nothing wrong with your car.
Old 02-26-19, 12:07 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts
Default ES300 PTC information

Scottsail2 is correct, ES300h's have an electric heating element that provides warmed air while allowing the
IC engine to cycle off and on. Here are a couple of pages that will hopefully help diagnose the issue.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
PTC Heater Control.docx (87.0 KB, 112 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by mcomer:
bc6152 (02-26-19), john341 (02-26-19), lesz (02-26-19)
Old 02-26-19, 01:35 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Scottsail2 is correct, ES300h's have an electric heating element that provides warmed air while allowing the
IC engine to cycle off and on. Here are a couple of pages that will hopefully help diagnose the issue.
I learned something new today. Not the same as a non-hybrid. Had no knowledge about the electric heating element. Thank you for the correction and information...
Old 02-26-19, 06:47 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

So this is strange. I have a hybrid and when the engine is cold and I get to a stop light the engine does not stop running when I am stopped and the heat is on. Sometimes the engine sound bothers me because I am now used to the engine being off at stoplights. So the 100% sure way of shutting off the engine when it is cold is that I simply turn off the heater fan. The engine turns off then. Always. If the ESh was electrically heated when the engine is cold, then why does this happen, i.e. engine runs when it is cold and shuts off if the heater fan is turned off. I always figured that the engine was only running to provide heat into the car.
Old 02-26-19, 07:46 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by zes
So this is strange. I have a hybrid and when the engine is cold and I get to a stop light the engine does not stop running when I am stopped and the heat is on. Sometimes the engine sound bothers me because I am now used to the engine being off at stoplights. So the 100% sure way of shutting off the engine when it is cold is that I simply turn off the heater fan. The engine turns off then. Always. If the ESh was electrically heated when the engine is cold, then why does this happen, i.e. engine runs when it is cold and shuts off if the heater fan is turned off. I always figured that the engine was only running to provide heat into the car.
I could be misunderstanding what it said in the link provided by mcomer, but I think that what it said is consistent with what you and others are seeing. I think that it says that the electric heater is able to provide a modest amount of heat without the help of heat produced by the internal combustion engine, but, when it gets too cold and the electric heater isn't able to provide enough heat by itself, the ICE needs to be running and adding the heat that it produces to be able to provide the total amount of heat needed.
Old 02-26-19, 07:55 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Speaking of heating, does the hybrid battery have heating element build in or is it using the cabin air to warm up the battery?
Old 02-26-19, 09:36 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Scottsail2 is correct, ES300h's have an electric heating element that provides warmed air while allowing the IC engine to cycle off and on. Here are a couple of pages that will hopefully help diagnose the issue.
Is this only after a certain model year. Neither of my hybrids generate heat until the engine warms up. AC controls are always on “Auto.” A dealer setting perhaps that was never enabled on our vehicles?

The ICE cycles on and off to keep the engine/water at a certain temperature. For example, in eco mode it doesn’t work as hard to maintain the temperature as it does when in sport mode. So in sport mode the ICE runs more when stopped than it does in eco mode.

Last edited by TechNut; 02-26-19 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-27-19, 04:42 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Does your car have a special cold weather package? My hybrid takes a while to warm up in Eco mode but it's faster in Normal. I'll check whether there are OBD PIDs for these heating elements.
Old 02-27-19, 06:03 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Does your car have a special cold weather package? My hybrid takes a while to warm up in Eco mode but it's faster in Normal. I'll check whether there are OBD PIDs for these heating elements.
Where do you find these new PIDs? Techstream?
Old 02-27-19, 06:45 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by gamma742
Where do you find these new PIDs? Techstream?
Mainly from Priuschat and Camry Hybrid websites. The ES shares almost all the same PIDs, just the values are different.