Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Chip on Windshield 2016 CPO Lexus ES300h

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 04:02 PM
KJKS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip on Windshield 2016 CPO Lexus ES300h

We just purchased a 2016 CPO Lexus ES300h and didn't notice until the next day that there was a chip in the windshield. I made an appointment to have it fixed, but you can still see the chip. Not sure if I have any recourse. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 03-13-19, 04:43 PM
SoonerDave
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Recourse against the dealer? I can't imagine how you would; not even an express warranty is likely to cover windshield cracks. You might get a much less expensive repair than the Lexus dealer will provide if you visit a SafeLite Auto Glass repair (or other in your area) that offers crack repair based on a polymer fill that makes the crack *almost* invisible. Just a thought.
Old 03-13-19, 05:13 PM
KJKS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoonerDave
Recourse against the dealer? I can't imagine how you would; not even an express warranty is likely to cover windshield cracks. You might get a much less expensive repair than the Lexus dealer will provide if you visit a SafeLite Auto Glass repair (or other in your area) that offers crack repair based on a polymer fill that makes the crack *almost* invisible. Just a thought.
Ideally, I would like to have them replace the windshield as I bought a 2016 CPO and they were supposed to check this thoroughly and I trusted them. I should at least have the same warranty as I would have when I purchased the 2016 CPO Lexus ES300h without the chip, right?
Old 03-13-19, 05:47 PM
Rafadog
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KJKS
Ideally, I would like to have them replace the windshield as I bought a 2016 CPO and they were supposed to check this thoroughly and I trusted them. I should at least have the same warranty as I would have when I purchased the 2016 CPO Lexus ES300h without the chip, right?
That's true but, you were also supposed to check the car thoroughly before signing the purchase agreement and writing a large check. If it makes you feel any better, I recently purchased a 15 ES300h and after buffing and detailing the car a few weeks ago, I'm noticing many imperfections that I overlooked during the purchase process. That's my responsibility, not the dealers'. Luckily, I have a Body Shop in the family and have extensive experience in paint imperfection/dent removal and detailing so, I'll just take care of them myself but, had I noticed all the imperfections before purchasing I certainly would have gotten a better price on the car.

Another avenue you could pursue is your auto insurance as most policies carry a glass replacement rider. My guess is if you didn't notice it during your test drive(s), inspection before finalizing the deal, it can't be that big of a chip.
Either way, I hope it works out for you.
Old 03-13-19, 06:46 PM
SoonerDave
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KJKS
No offense, but I really think a windshield chip is something incumbent on the buyer to notice before they buy. Just my opinion. I can't think of a car warranty that's going to cover a windshield chip, as they are typically caused by road flotsam just hitting the glass.
Old 03-13-19, 06:57 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Checking the condition of the windshield is, in fact, one of the items on the 161 point CPO checklist.

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...t-brochure.pdf

But if the buyer doesn't notice a chipped windshield before driving the car off the lot, there is no way to prove whether the chip was there before the car left the dealer's lot or whether it happened after the car was purchased.

Also, if you look at the checklist to which I linked, you will notice that there are 3 categories for the windshield--Lexus standard, needs repair, and needs replacement. Chances are that, even if the dealership had discovered the chip when it was doing the CPO inspection, they would have just done an inexpensive repair of the chip and would not have replaced the windshield.

The reality is that, when you buy a CPO vehicle, it is a mistake to think that you are buying a car that is going to be in perfect condition.
Old 03-14-19, 06:27 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

I live in an area where it is not unusual to have a lot of chips/cracks in a windshield and generally need this repair service every two or three years (at least when I was commuting 70 miles daily before retirement). Obviously it is a lot less costly to get them “filled” than to replace the glass. It is normal to be able to spot the repaired places after filling; the windshield will have most of its regular strength restored and you won’t notice the chip any more than a small bug smear. Yes, if you carry glass insurance the insurance company will usually cover the repair without applying any deductible to you.