Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 7ES forum for discussion about shared components with other seventh generation ES models.

Noise On Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 11:40 AM
billm555
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jim....that is definitely a sound that you (and others) will hear when your car is in reverse and in drive at low speeds. It is now (implemented last year) required by law on all hybrids. And yes, it is designed to let people know that the car is in their proximity. I can relate to your experience because I bought my 2019 ES 300H without being aware of the sound. When I first heard it, I was sure there was something wrong with the car. But upon doing my research found out what it was. For a short time I was embarrassed to back out of my driveway when neighbors were around but I quickly go used to it. In time, you won't be bothered by it. You will love the car. Guaranteed.
Old 05-04-19, 02:08 PM
MelC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting as my car makes the same sound; I do know other 2019 Lexus Hybrids do not make this same noise so was hopeful it could be disabled.
Old 05-04-19, 02:37 PM
GabC
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MelC
Thanks for posting as my car makes the same sound; I do know other 2019 Lexus Hybrids do not make this same noise so was hopeful it could be disabled.
All 2019 lexus hybrids have the same noise, Proximity Notification System.
Old 05-04-19, 07:13 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by GabC
All 2019 lexus hybrids have the same noise, Proximity Notification System.
I wish it wasn't such an annoying sound.
The following users liked this post:
DDGNX (04-15-22)
Old 05-06-19, 01:36 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I think it's only the North American market that has this hybrid sound at low speeds. I've driven 6ES and 7ES hybrids and Camry hybrids in East Asia and they're completely silent at low speeds, except for a slight motor whine.

Sometimes I wish we had the spaceship sound to warn pedestrians. As a hybrid driver, I've learned to be aware of tire noise and motor whine from hybrids and EVs when I'm walking around, but most people simply don't notice.
Old 06-20-19, 07:53 AM
hdfry
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Ditto

Originally Posted by jimv1983
I just got my ES 300h on Wednesday. While dropping my dad off at home he noticed a noise when I took my foot off the brake. It's like a whining sound in both drive and reverse. It sounds like it might go away at higher speeds above maybe 10 MPH but it's hard to tell. I have read that the hybrid does make a noise at low speeds to alert people near by since the ICE isn't running. I don't know what that is supposed to sound like so I don't know for sure.

I uploaded a sound file that I recorded with my phone. If someone with an ES 300h can listen and tell me if you are having it too it would be very helpful.
We just brought our 2019 ES300h home two days ago. Driving into/out of our garage was the first I was aware of the sound. No one at the dealership mentioned it and the dealership is situated in a high traffic environment so we couldn't hear the proximity sound. I've spent the past couple of days trying to find someone that would disconnect it for me. I find the noise objectionable. It is identical to the sound you have on your car. It sounds like a power steering unit going bad. It's embarrassing to drive a new car with that sound. The Acura, another luxury car, has a tone like a pleasant, quiet doorbell. I hope Lexus gets a large number of complaints and switches to a more pleasing sound.
Old 06-20-19, 07:58 AM
hdfry
Driver School Candidate

I'm told the sound resulted from a NTSB ruling in 2017 so it wouldn't be on earlier models.
Old 06-20-19, 08:08 AM
hdfry
Driver School Candidate

I've done enough research, spoken to enough people, and looked carefully at what I believe to be the offending speaker, that I think I know what's going on. My intent is to disconnect. It seems to have one plug going into it and I assume that's a two wire plug. I will unplug it and see what happens. I'm told by the local Lexus service foreman that the fix is easy if unplugging the beast leads to other problems. I gather if that happens all I have to do is plug it back in and disconnect the car's batters momentarily - allowing all systems to reset. I'll post the results in a day or so if this goes according to plan. Thanks
Old 06-20-19, 08:32 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Please post a picture or good description of the speaker location as well. This sounds like something I may wish to explore once my new hybrid arrives.
Old 06-21-19, 01:51 AM
hdfry
Driver School Candidate

Dear Techie, please see attachment. It's situated immediately in front of the radiator and just far enough into the hand well (for opening the hood) that it can't be reached. And, by the way, I may have decided to live with the noise...a bit longer if not indefinitely. I'll decide for sure later today when my scheduled appointment with the auto shop arrives. Regards, HD
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Proximity speaker.pdf (365.7 KB, 568 views)
TechNut (06-21-19)
Old 06-21-19, 10:48 AM
hdfry
Driver School Candidate

The situation has been resolved! I was able to pull the offending speaker after removing the plastic cowling that covers the front area under the hood. It was readily accessible at that point. It is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It has two "ears" that are used to bolt it to the firewall. It also has a female plug into which the one cable is inserted. After unhooking the device it was easy to enshroud it in duct tape. Mummified. A quick fix! And, it's still in the circuit in case removal would have set off alarms. It's hard for me to believe that Lexus stuck us with this awful noisemaker. I suspect they'll modify it in coming years if they get enough feedback. Thanks guys. HD
DDGNX (04-15-22)
Old 06-21-19, 11:56 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by hdfry
The situation has been resolved! I was able to pull the offending speaker after removing the plastic cowling that covers the front area under the hood. It was readily accessible at that point. It is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It has two "ears" that are used to bolt it to the firewall. It also has a female plug into which the one cable is inserted. After unhooking the device it was easy to enshroud it in duct tape. Mummified. A quick fix! And, it's still in the circuit in case removal would have set off alarms. It's hard for me to believe that Lexus stuck us with this awful noisemaker. I suspect they'll modify it in coming years if they get enough feedback. Thanks guys. HD
Well, I'm sure Lexus stuck you with that awful noisemaker because they care about the safety of pedestrians. Not to mention that it's now part of the federal safety standard but hey it's survival of the fittest am I right?
Old 06-21-19, 12:05 PM
hdfry
Driver School Candidate

Yessir. Survival of the fittest. Lexus had a whole smorgasbord of sounds they could have opted for. Acura uses a nice doorbell chime that would've worked. Instead, they opted for a noise that sounds like the power steering unit is failing. Suffice to say, they made a poor choice. My noise generator can still be heard, just not a hundred yards away like it was when it left the factory. I'm certain it's still in compliance with NTSB guidelines.
Old 06-21-19, 09:43 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Thanks for the update. I will certainly listen to it and try it for a while before I make any decision, but good to know there is a simple fix if it is too annoying for my taste.
Old 06-23-19, 03:42 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

It's a good idea to muffle the blasted thing instead of removing it completely. I think Lexus could have chosen a nicer sound but any sound is nice.

Outside of Europe and North America, hybrids aren't required to have a low speed warning sound. My 2014 ES300h doesn't and the new models I've tested also don't. It's creepy to have a hybrid of BEV drive slowly next to me and the only thing I can hear is crunching gravel.
GS350Miami (06-24-19)

Quick Reply: Noise On Hybrid