Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

2014 ES300H w/o Factory Nav

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-19, 09:33 PM
dslaughter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 ES300H w/o Factory Nav

What is everyone with this model doing for nav and how do they have it mounted?
Old 04-12-19, 08:21 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Not many buy a Lexus without navigation due to resale value being very low. Those that do have a choice of buying a Garmin portable unit for around $150.00 and placing it on top of your dash, or an aftermarket built-in package that's usually very expensive. From 2013 to 2017 it's my opinion that the Garmin was a better navigational tool than the built-in Lexus unit. And if you buy one with free lifetime map updates you save a lot of money. Not sure, but I think Lexus wants about $250.00 for a map update for their unit. Garmin offers several mounting designs and aftermarket suppliers offer even more. Before I bought my 2019 I used a Garmin in my 2013 though it was equipped with navigation from the factory. Better, up to date directions and clear and concise voice. GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-12-19, 08:33 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

if you don't already have navigation from factory, i'd suggest getting a good phone holder/clip and use google maps or waze.
Not sure if in this day and age a standalone GPS has any benefits over google maps/waze on a smartphone
Old 04-12-19, 08:39 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlexNY
if you don't already have navigation from factory, i'd suggest getting a good phone holder/clip and use google maps or waze.
Not sure if in this day and age a standalone GPS has any benefits over google maps/waze on a smartphone
Yeah, I forgot about the smartphone apps available. Good idea but I didn't have an unlimited data plan which is required for extended periods. I'm using the Lexus system in the 2019...
For those w/o an unlimited data plan a portable is the answer...
Old 04-12-19, 08:57 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Even if you have unlimited data, I have driven in areas where there is no service. Garmin is the best option if you travel.
The following users liked this post:
RedRover (04-12-19)
Old 04-12-19, 09:58 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
For those w/o an unlimited data plan a portable is the answer...
There are many apps that provide offline maps and navigation, e. g. Copilot GPS for $10. Even Google maps allows to cash approx 100x100 mile area for offline use, including navigation. There is absolutely no need for a dedicated GPS these days.

Having offline GPS app is a great insurance for use in areas without cell service.
Old 04-12-19, 10:06 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

I carry a Garmin waterproof hand-held that I originally bought for kayaking. It's handy for hiking, boating, or when walking in foreign cities. Of course you have to buy the miniSD card for the different areas but they are pretty extensive in coverage area and I've used it in Africa, Indonesia and Central America and expect to take it to Scotland later this summer. It's also handy when we take my wife's car that does not have GPS pre-installed and it can be powered by a USB line from the aux outlet so it doesn't chew up AA cells. Can live without regular updates: not much really changes except maybe POI (gas, food, hotels). Look for a newer model c/w maps on EBAY and you can get them for 1/2 price or less sometimes.
Old 04-12-19, 11:44 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tootsall
I carry a Garmin waterproof hand-held that I originally bought for kayaking. It's handy for hiking, boating, or when walking in foreign cities. Of course you have to buy the miniSD card for the different areas but they are pretty extensive in coverage area and I've used it in Africa, Indonesia and Central America and expect to take it to Scotland later this summer. It's also handy when we take my wife's car that does not have GPS pre-installed and it can be powered by a USB line from the aux outlet so it doesn't chew up AA cells. Can live without regular updates: not much really changes except maybe POI (gas, food, hotels). Look for a newer model c/w maps on EBAY and you can get them for 1/2 price or less sometimes.
Good advice. I used my Garmin in pedestrian mode to navigate Paris, a very large city and various smaller cities in Germany and Switzerland... I suppose that there are apps for these things as well.
Old 04-12-19, 12:24 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexNY
For me, I don't have a large data plan. And I don't want to consume more battery on my phone.

Plus, I like the large screen of the navigation unit.
Old 04-12-19, 12:27 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Can you link to what model you have?

So far, when traveling, I've used my phone. But I'm always considering ways to preserve my phone's battery, and a right sized hand held unit might come in handy.
Old 04-12-19, 12:35 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
So far, when traveling, I've used my phone. But I'm always considering ways to preserve my phone's battery, and a right sized hand held unit might come in handy.
If battery life is a concern - why not just get a power bank? To me a power bank is essential travel accessory.
Old 04-12-19, 01:05 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

we are talking about in-car navi, so why is battery even a concern???????? just plug phone charger in the car, voila!
as for traveling without the car, again a smartphone is much better for navigating streets. much better POI info + website link on google maps. Much faster as well. Also you can type something half-a$$ed on google maps and the darn thing will just find it for you.
standalone GPS comes in handy when you go in the middle of nowhere where cell service is very spotty.

funny thing, the only places where i experience crappy cell service is right here in the states. Even third world countries have better cell coverage than the USA.
i travel to south america, central america pretty often. even in **** poor areas cell service is not bad at all. Heck, i even got service perfectly fine on top of the mountains as well @ machupicchu in Peru
Old 04-12-19, 03:32 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Can you link to what model you have?

Sorry for delay, nuraman; just saw your question. It's a 60CSx https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/310 Now obsoleted by newer models. Just go to Garmin.com to see what's on nowadays. I even have a "BlueChart" map set for West Coast Canada that gives me things like marinas, navigation aids, restricted areas (seaplane bases), rocks, tide info, etc. Don't usually use THAT when driving. :-) Alex is 100% correct: just use a USB power tether to your car and battery on phone is no longer a problem; in fact you'll be charging your phone.
Old 04-18-19, 11:34 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Sorry for delay, nuraman; just saw your question. It's a 60CSx https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/310 Now obsoleted by newer models. Just go to Garmin.com to see what's on nowadays. I even have a "BlueChart" map set for West Coast Canada that gives me things like marinas, navigation aids, restricted areas (seaplane bases), rocks, tide info, etc. Don't usually use THAT when driving. :-) Alex is 100% correct: just use a USB power tether to your car and battery on phone is no longer a problem; in fact you'll be charging your phone.
Thanks.

I just looked up a newer model now, the GPSMAP® 66s. Looks pretty cool. I'd want to try one in person at a store, to see what I think of it.

But now I know a little bit about what they do, thanks.