Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Ls600h transmission fluid change process

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 11:03 AM
argonfatl
Rookie

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Ls600h transmission fluid change process

Hi. I have 08 Ls600h 196k. I started fluid change and hit some problems. I can’t find fluid capability in transmission. I drained about 7 qt of old fluid but when I started refill, after 5 qt it started to come out of overflow drain.
any idea why?
do you know capacity?

Old 04-12-19, 11:37 AM
argonfatl
Rookie

Default Directions

Find some info but no capacity
Old 04-12-19, 12:06 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

From the owner's manual... My sense is that you've drained fluid from areas that cannot be easily replenished without going through the entire process, allowing new fluid to circulate through the system, etc.

Old 04-12-19, 12:42 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
From the owner's manual... My sense is that you've drained fluid from areas that cannot be easily replenished without going through the entire process, allowing new fluid to circulate through the system, etc.

I believe you're on to something about doing the full drain/refill vs partial. I think it may have something to do with temperature as well. See post linked below for further help, this was a 460, but the process should be similar.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...exchanger.html
Old 04-12-19, 12:57 PM
argonfatl
Rookie

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by terminater
I believe you're on to something about doing the full drain/refill vs partial. I think it may have something to do with temperature as well. See post linked below for further help, this was a 460, but the process should be similar.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...exchanger.html
Thanks for info. What a mystery where did I got all that old fluid? 8 qt sounds too much. Could it be overfilled from previous?

Last edited by argonfatl; 04-12-19 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 04:26 PM
argonfatl
Rookie

Default When to check

Should I open overflow when engine runs or when it’s off. Because when engine runs I don’t have anything coming out but when engine stops fluid starts to run
Old 04-12-19, 08:25 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 223 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by argonfatl
Should I open overflow when engine runs or when it’s off. Because when engine runs I don’t have anything coming out but when engine stops fluid starts to run
--
You need to check the fluid level when the engine is idling. You also need to wait for the transmission to reach the specified temperature. As your service manual indicates, you need to wait for the transmission temperature to be between 30-40C (68-104F) to unscrew the fluid overflow bolt to check the fluid level. When there is no fluid coming out while the engine is idling at 30-40C, it means that there is not enough fluid in the transmission. You need to add transmission fluid and then re-check the fluid level when the transmission temperature is between 30-40C. (Note, for LS460, the transmission temperature for checking fluid is 35-42C or 95-108F)
----

Last edited by yyymmm31; 04-13-19 at 07:21 AM. Reason: added a note
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (04-12-19)
Old 04-13-19, 08:52 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by argonfatl
Thanks for info. What a mystery where did I got all that old fluid? 8 qt sounds too much. Could it be overfilled from previous?
Capacity is 10.5 qts a drain and fill should be 3 or less. You dropped a lot of fluid.
Old 04-13-19, 10:18 AM
ALK
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
--
You need to check the fluid level when the engine is idling. You also need to wait for the transmission to reach the specified temperature. As your service manual indicates, you need to wait for the transmission temperature to be between 30-40C (68-104F) to unscrew the fluid overflow bolt to check the fluid level. When there is no fluid coming out while the engine is idling at 30-40C, it means that there is not enough fluid in the transmission. You need to add transmission fluid and then re-check the fluid level when the transmission temperature is between 30-40C. (Note, for LS460, the transmission temperature for checking fluid is 35-42C or 95-108F)
----
There is specific way to check the transmission temperature. By bridging 3 connections in the OBD port . Part# 09843-18040. I will upload the file later.

Bridging cable.
The following 2 users liked this post by ALK:
fwhomeboy (04-13-19), yyymmm31 (04-14-19)
Old 04-13-19, 11:55 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ALK
There is specific way to check the transmission temperature. By bridging 3 connections in the OBD port . Part# 09843-18040. I will upload the file later.

Bridging cable.
---
Indeed, a cable is a simple way to check the temperature. Thanks for sharing the information. On the other hand, I found it easier and more accurate to use Techstream to check the temperature. Since I did transmission fluid changes so many times because of the "strawberry milkshake" problem on my LS460, I feel that I have mastered the process of checking transmission fluid with Techstream and can do it in just a few minutes. Here is how I do it on my LS460:
1. Drive the car onto a raised stand and make sure the car is straight flat level (I check it with a box level ruler)
2. Turn off the engine. Break loose the overfill bolt but don't unscrew it
3. Wait for the transmission to cool down
4. Connect Techstream to the OBD port under the dash
5. Start the car and launch Techstream to view the transmission temperature (it takes about 90 seconds for the transmission temperature to rise one centigrade degree)
6. While firmly press the brake pedal, move the transmission lever to each gear every 2 seconds to make the transmission fluid evenly mixed
7. When Techstream shows that the transmission temperature reaches 35C (for LS600, it'll be 30C), while the engine is idling, remove the overflow plug
8. When the transmission fluid from the overflow hole becomes a "thin stream", install the overflow plug and torque it to 15 lbf. Done.
---

Last edited by yyymmm31; 04-13-19 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 04-13-19, 12:03 PM
ALK
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
---
Indeed, a cable is a simple way to check the temperature. Thanks for sharing the information. On the other hand, I found it easier and more accurate to use Techstream to check the temperature. Since I did transmission fluid changes so many times because of the "strawberry milkshake" problem on my LS460, I feel that I have mastered the process of checking transmission fluid with Techstream and can do it in just a few minutes. Here is how I do it on my LS460:
1. Drive the car onto a raised stand and make sure the car is straight flat level (I check it with a box level ruler)
2. Break loose the overfill bolt but don't unscrew it
3. Wait for the transmission to cool down
4. Connect Techstream to the OBD port under the dash
5. Start the car and launch Techstream to view the transmission temperature (it takes about 90 seconds for the transmission temperature to rise one centigrade degree)
6. While firmly press the brake pedal, move the transmission lever to each gear every 2 seconds to make the transmission fluid evenly mixed
7. When Techstream shows that the transmission temperature reaches 35C (for LS600, it'll be 30C), while the engine is idling, remove the overflow plug
8. When the transmission fluid from the overflow hole becomes a "thin stream", install the overflow plug and torque it to 15 lbf. Done.
---
Even in the service manual there is no mention of using of Techstream . I think the wire method is faster , thats why it is the preferred method of manufacturer. Files attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TRANSMISSION 4WD.pdf (412.1 KB, 745 views)
File Type: pdf
TRANSMISSION RWD.pdf (396.7 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by ALK; 04-13-19 at 12:37 PM.
yyymmm31 (04-14-19)
Old 04-13-19, 03:45 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ALK
Even in the service manual there is no mention of using of Techstream . I think the wire method is faster , thats why it is the preferred method of manufacturer. Files attached
----
Agreed that the wire method may be faster for some people. For me, it is faster to plug in the Techstream connector to the OBD port and then just read the Techstream's screen for the exact transmission temperature. However, disagree that the wire method is the preferred method by factory (Lexus/Toyota). Lexus/Toyota certified technicians were trained to use Techstream to replace transmission fluid, although some experienced Lexus/Toyota technicians count the number of minutes after turning on the engine to estimate the transmission temperature (e.g., in summer, wait for 5-8 minutes; in winter, 10-12 minutes). They can do so because they are experienced and have done it so many times. Just ask your Lexus dealer's service shop how they replace the transmission fluid and they will tell you how they do it (and justify charging $250 for doing it).
----
ALK (04-13-19)
Old 04-13-19, 04:15 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

I paid my Toyota dealer 149 bucks to do mine. Not worth the aggravation and, "what if I didn't use the right amount of fluid"...etc. They definitely used Techstream at my dealership.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadfrog:
ALK (04-13-19), yyymmm31 (04-14-19)
Old 04-14-19, 06:55 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

OP, hopefully you've gotten the answer you needed from the procedure descriptions above. To clarify, with the engine running the transmission pump runs which pulls fluid up and out of the pan into the internals of the transmission. Without the engine running all of the fluid is settled in the pan which is why you're showing it full at less than published capacity. Accurate levels are established with the pump running. Good luck.
Old 04-15-19, 06:40 PM
argonfatl
Rookie

Default result

Hi. Thanks for your help. I got a very good PDF with details.
Looks like my transmission was overfilled (8qt instead of 5)L110F

Last edited by argonfatl; 04-15-19 at 07:07 PM.
stopdrpnro (02-27-20)

Quick Reply: Ls600h transmission fluid change process