Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 7ES forum for discussion about shared components with other seventh generation ES models.

Roof Racks for ES300H

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 11:50 AM
mgrayson
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sure took a while, but I now I finally got a good quote that is just shy of 12% off MSRP with the $2,000 cash on rebate and this is at the Portland dealership. I haven’t bought yet, but I think this is the best I can do for now, though we still might haggle to see how much lower we can get off. The other (2) places that got 10% off was Lexus of Bellevue/Seattle, whereas Eugene is the worst. Note: This does not come with the new add-ons, which makes the price very reasonable.

Recent add-ons

Recently, I have come across some dealerships that is starting to install these so-called accessories package already pre-installed on the newer cars (i.e., ProTrim Package, Lojack, Safety Pulse 3rd Brake Light) which marks up the price roughly around $1,700 dollars on top of the total MSRP price. I have come to understand that you do not find out about this, until you get closer to the transaction and then ‘Surprise’ here is another item already added to the value of the car. Some dealerships have them installed on all their cars. It is starting to get harder to find ES300H without this option.

I think these do add strong value to the car, but as a customer I also have the right not to add these and if I remember correctly, these were not added on the cars in the beginning.
Old 05-06-19, 12:23 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mgrayson
I
I think these do add strong value to the car, but as a customer I also have the right not to add these and if I remember correctly, these were not added on the cars in the beginning.
They actually add virtually no value to the car but are almost pure profit for the dealers. My opinion of dealers that push these add-ons as mandatory is that they are simply unethical and should be avoided as this is representative of the kind of mistreatment you should expect if any problems arise with the car. Character matters!
The following 4 users liked this post by oldcajun:
dchar (05-06-19), dklanecky1 (05-06-19), lesz (05-06-19), mgrayson (05-06-19)
Old 05-06-19, 01:52 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
They actually add virtually no value to the car but are almost pure profit for the dealers. My opinion of dealers that push these add-ons as mandatory is that they are simply unethical and should be avoided as this is representative of the kind of mistreatment you should expect if any problems arise with the car. Character matters!

The above is 100% correct. About the only value added by such dealer-installed options is the value that the dealer gets from selling you something that is virtually all profit for the dealer. Among the typical dealer-installed options are things like interior Scotchgard protection, exterior protection that is little more than a wax job, anti-theft glass etching, nitrogen tire fills, etc. Typically, such add-ons come with a mark-up of several 100% percent.

When evaluating the level of discounting involved with a dealer's office, the only number that should be considered as the "before discount" price is the MSRP.
Old 05-06-19, 02:41 PM
mgrayson
Driver School Candidate

You are right and as mentioned before, I do not plan on buying these added options when purchasing the car.

I’m not sure if this is just happening in the northwest region, but to other future buyers – beware of this new markup that is starting to take effect for the newer Lexus cars.
Old 05-06-19, 09:04 PM
Waldo44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the dealership in Arizona they let you add all the add on you wish. I know here in the northwest the dealer add them, I know of a dealer that added more than 5,000.00 to the msrp sticker price. Pure profit for the add on with there inflated price.
Mgrayson could you let me know the name of the salesman that you where in contact with. Was everything done thru the internet?.

Bill
Old 05-06-19, 11:34 PM
mgrayson
Driver School Candidate

Most of my communications have been through the internet, but we occasionally visited the dealership to test drive the cars, though I keep meeting different salesmen/saleswomen who keep trying to give me their best quote.

I’m not sure if it makes a difference in terms of the latest quote as my wife works for ‘Intel’ as this might have some sort of privilege/discount with the Lexus dealership. Who knows? Anyway, I worked with ‘Thien Do’ (over the internet). Never met him in person.

Bill, thanks for the confirmation on these added pre-installed packages here in the northwest. It is strange sort of affairs to see this happening – now. $5000 dollars? Wow!

Luckily, there are some cars available that doesn’t have these add-ons.

Michael