Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

New 2013 GS 450H Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 07:22 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

So I guess it has happened (button getting stuck). I will continue the process of either turning the radio down and/or mute button. Not that I play it super loud anyway, so leaving it on shouldn't hurt. I am actually surprised that the radio turns off when I shut the car off. I could swear some other vehicles I had kept the radio on for a short period. Or maybe I am thinking of the key in the accessory position instead. It is tough going from key start cars your whole life, to a push button start now. I have to make sure I have the keys in my pocket every time I get out. It looks like I am patting myself down upon exit. Still loving the car on my little commutes to work. It really does make the ride more enjoyable. And I am hearing different songs I have not heard in years with the Sirius XM stuff. May decide to keep it.
Old 06-12-19, 08:53 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I find it nice to never have to think about my keys at all. If I leave home, it's in my pocket and stays there until I get home. Whenever I drive the other car (2007 WRX) I get all fumbly because I have to deal with a key again suddenly.
Old 06-13-19, 10:03 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Funny ChronoR, I feel the same way already when I switch cars. So I enabled my Iphone to notify me of text messages me when I am driving. But, after much searching here, it looks like I am even unable to respond with the canned responses. From what I read, it is an Apple iphone thing that they do not allow it. I guess if I had to, I will just ask Siri to respond via voice control. So I do have a question on the Air conditioning. First off, living in Florida, it is running mostly all the time for 9 months out of the year. In my other vehicles, I had the habit of shutting off the AC a little before I was going to park it (like one minute), but leaving the vent on until I park, so the AC clears out of the system, then I simply shut the AC off before I turned the ignition off. Now with Lexi, to shut off the AC only, but leave the vent air on, I have to go through the menu it seems, which is more complicated but doable. Then I turn it off before I fully power the car off. Question is, I I being ****, ridiculous, old-fashioned, does anybody else do this before they shut the car off. I just don't think it is good to have the AC start up when I first start the car and I have no trouble in just pushing the auto button. One more thing, has anyone had any problems with the Hybrid AC? Like ever? I haven't seen anyone comment on their car losing refrigerant, or compressor breaking, or needing any repair work done to the HVAC system. For the five of us still on this forum with a 450H, what is your experience with the car? Thanks.
Old 06-13-19, 12:46 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

I don't ever turn it off. Unlike my previous cars where I had to do that, it hasn't given me reason to manually control it.
Old 06-13-19, 01:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I've never heard of such a thing - turning Off the radio or A/C before shutting the engine/ignition Off ... or not turning the radio or A/C On until after the engine is started. That's some weird stuff!
Old 06-14-19, 06:55 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Ok, I am busted then. Old habits die hard I guess. Can I say once again that I am really enjoying this car? I have driven it everyday this week to work. A whopping 17 mile round trip with lots of traffic lights and such. I bought this car on May 10th, and still have not had a chance to take it on the highway. I think I may have gotten up to 60 mph once. Slated to go over to Tampa next Saturday (or Friday night), then we will see what this car does on the Highway. Other than that, I am the old guy coasting from stop light to stop light on his commute listening to music I have not heard in quite a long time. I really like the Liquid Platinum color as well. Very shiny when washed up.
The following users liked this post:
ChronoR (06-14-19)
Old 06-14-19, 09:02 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
Very shiny when washed up.
Very shiny even when dirty!
Old 06-14-19, 11:50 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Ok BCLexus, I didn't want to brag that the Liquid Platinum seems like the best color. It is not silver, but more of a Terminator color, Liquid metallic machine finish. For whatever reason, I think the GS 450H looks better than the regular GS 350. Could be like a parent who does not think their child is ugly so looking through rose colored glasses. I am going to buy that Carista dongle and app thing to see what it is all about. I want to be able to measure the health of my battery since the car is over six years old. Still do not know why more of these did not sell.
Old 06-18-19, 06:10 AM
Hues10
Advanced

I'm back - like the Poltergeist movie, but hopefully not scary. Just a couple of maintenance questions. For this 4th generation GS Hybrid model, have any of you driven enough to get any maintenance done besides oil and the air filter changes? I am talking about the various fluids, Brake, do we have power steering fluid, coolant, inverter coolant, and of course the Transmission lifetime fluid? I have read a number of threads on the regular GS arguing for and against the transmission fluid, I know coolant is like 100k. The only reason I ask is that my car is at 55k and is 7 years old in July (build date). I reasonably will not hit 100k miles at my present rate until sometime nine years from now, or 2028. So I am thinking mileage is not my best indicator of when to change fluids. I am thinking 8 years may be the time, so next year. What say you all to that thinking from your maintenance experience? Thanks.
Old 06-20-19, 11:30 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Seems like no one is left in the 450H thread No matter, my random thoughts are that I drove the car today after sitting it since Saturday. The commute to work is so much better since I am playing music I haven't heard, half the time I am sitting at lights with the engine off, but the AC still running. The back sunshade is up, and I am just hanging out in my comfortable leather seats waiting to start out in EV mode. So much different than my 2011 Acura RDX, which is a rougher ride, turbo, and a gas guzzler. Though I did notice, its sweet spot for MPG is about 45 to 50 mpg. My guess is that the sweet spot for the GS is higher, since the Highway MPG is rated 34 to the 20 city. I will find out Saturday. Current MPG is 32.4 right now as my Prius right foot is maximizing.
Old 06-20-19, 12:43 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

I find I get pretty darn good mileage cruising at 60mph.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (06-21-19)
Old 06-21-19, 04:40 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
Seems like no one is left in the 450H thread
There are definitely GS hybrid owners that visit here, but it's just that most of us have had our cars for some time. I know that you just purchased yours about one month back, so that initial feeling of excitement and learning all about the car is burning within you. We all went through it - many of us reading countless topics with this subforum and the main 4GS forum to learn even more about the 4GS.

Anyway, thanks for continuing to post your thoughts. They are interesting (for me) to read.

I'm sure you'll easily get 33+ mpg on your trip if you're already getting 32.4 mixed. Just keep your ties inflated, go easy on the throttle, and main a consistent speed whenever possible. You'll see great numbers, I'm sure!

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 06-22-19, 03:47 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Ok. Thanks for the support and letting me ramble. I just realized I have not even been in the back seat yet. Was just starting to clean the dash last night. Does anyone know if plastic cleaner, not Armorall folks, but a non greasy cleaner/protector is the correct one to use.? I know it is soft touch, but not leather up there.. Correct?
Old 06-23-19, 11:15 AM
Hues10
Advanced

So the 200 mile road trip is over. My perceptions of course. Sport + mode definitely on the Highway with higher speeds. In Eco, it seemed to float more and I found myself constantly making little steering corrections to keep It in the middle of the lane. Do not notice that during my normal commute. And yes, I played with the throttle a number of times to test the acceleration. Amazing how fast it will get to 80 or higher once you step on it. It was strange though that it takes a 1/2 second to downshift, and then the tachometer jumps from 1500 to 4500 like that and then it takes off. There was no middle ground it seemed. As in is doesn't jump to 2500 then climb from there. It jumps to 4500 and starts climbing. I only got up to 90 mind you as there was more traffic than I would have liked. But it was fun. When there were some traffic jams, I put it in Eco mode, and went on EV mode till it cleared up. MPG ended at 36.2 on the Dash. Funny, it actually averaged 35.1 going over, and then obviously over 37 on the way back. This is Florida, so flat roads both ways. It is almost like the engine started breaking in after sitting for so long doing little commutes. I have no complaints whatsoever in buying this. Can't wait for the next road trip,
The following 2 users liked this post by Hues10:
ChronoR (06-23-19), Im2bz2p345 (06-24-19)
Old 06-23-19, 08:44 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Yup that's how the hybrid gearing works. It goes right to the efficient band for acceleration or efficiency instead of having to run the gamut. Sounds like you got some good fuel mileage and a fun trip.

Quick Reply: New 2013 GS 450H Owner