Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

New 2013 GS 450H Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 08:29 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
It was strange though that it takes a 1/2 second to downshift, and then the tachometer jumps from 1500 to 4500 like that and then it takes off. There was no middle ground it seemed. As in is doesn't jump to 2500 then climb from there. It jumps to 4500 and starts climbing.
Great observation. According to Lexus literature, peak power is produced on this car at 4500 rpm, so I would say it's very intelligent to sense you want instant power and bring it to the most efficient rpm range (as ChronoR pointed out).

Amazing gas mileage you achieve on your trip, wow! You must have a light foot and very flat roadways.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 06-26-19, 09:35 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

The trip in Florida does have very flat roads. Great condition too. No potholes. Just sinkholes every once in a while. Well, I seem pretty stupid after getting gas today. Didn't need it, but was hedging since I saw gas going up yesterday so to Costco I went. Anyway, I reset my trip odometer, but after about 2 tenths of a mile, I noticed my MPG was the same as before I stopped. It said 35.2 on it. In using the ole' miles divided by gallons method, I actually averaged 34.6 on the 210 highway trip, plus 50 in town traveling, so a 80/20 highway/city mix. Not bad. But I didn't realize the trip odometer does not reset the MPG on the trip as well. To make a long story short, that is why it seemed I was able to get better MPG on the 100 mile trip back. I never reset the MPG number when I filled up before I left. I started with 32.2 average when I filled up, it went up to an average of 35.2 after I reached my destination. And when I returned home, it went up to an average of 36.2. I have quickly learned to subtract 1.5 MPG from what the car shows as it is overestimating the mileage.

I guess I learn something every day it seems. Like, sometimes I want to listen to the end of the song when I get home from work, but forget that if I power the car off, it shuts off the radio. Unlike ignition keys, where you can turn it to the accessory mode before you pull the key out. Thus, no listening to the end of songs for me. Thanks for letting me ramble.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (06-26-19)
Old 06-26-19, 09:47 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I always go by the odometer (I'm OCD about keeping track of when I fuel up) so my own stats are quite accurate. I average 27.5mpg since I do a lot of city driving but the best I've gotten in a non-trivial distance is 37.5mpg over 300 miles.

As for the radio, my car usually has the engine off by the time I'm arriving home so I just leave it on because I know I'm not burning fuel wastefully =)

Last edited by ChronoR; 06-26-19 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-26-19, 10:48 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Thanks ChronoR. I have only filled up about three times, so don't have very many data points. I am going on a 700 mile round trip next weekend for the Fourth though. Should get a better feel on the gas consumption. Either way, I am happy to coast along on my early morning commutes, then get Lexi on the Highway in Sport+ mode for some acceleration fun every once in a while. I hear you about the radio. I am just so use to shutting the car off when I park int he driveway. Habits hard to break I guess.
Old 06-27-19, 07:03 AM
Hues10
Advanced

On a different topic, today I set my Lexus clock two minutes faster. I hope it is not losing time, but we will see. Not that it was hard obviously. Push a button for a second. It may look like an analog clock, but I am sure it must be electronic and should stay in synch with some Atomic clock tracking thing. I mean, how do our phones and such stay accurate with the time. Or am I wrong, and come the next Daylight savings time, I will have to fall back an hour with it. Not a big deal, but just curious.
Old 06-27-19, 09:45 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

On a different topic, today I set my Lexus clock two minutes faster. I hope it is not losing time, but we will see. Not that it was hard obviously. Push a button for a second. It may look like an analog clock, but I am sure it must be electronic and should stay in synch with some Atomic clock tracking thing. I mean, how do our phones and such stay accurate with the time. Or am I wrong, and come the next Daylight savings time, I will have to fall back an hour with it. Not a big deal, but just curious.
The 2013 GS 350's clock must be manually adjusted for Daylight Saving time changes. In either 2014 or 2015 the clock no longer needs changing as it is tied into the car's navigation system and automatically adjusts 'if' the owner selects Daylight Saving Time in the setup.

The GS 350's clock only looks like an analog clock (instead of having a digital readout) with the hour and minute hands, but is controlled electronically using crystal-based timing much like a quartz wrist watch with hands in lieu of a digital readout.
Old 06-27-19, 12:28 PM
Hues10
Advanced

What? This car is crap! That is like having to get up to change the TV channel. First, I don't have the power folding mirrors, the power folding trunk, and now I have to change my own clock. What is this a Model T, and I will have to turn a crank to start it? Of all the things the car does have, I don't quite understand the headlight washer sprayer thing. As in when would I use this? Maybe in snow, but living in Central Florida, I doubt if I would have the need. Like ever. So does anyone use the little power headlight washer thing? Realize, I am just kidding about most of the perceived negative comments. I am absolutely enjoying the 450h. Thanks.
Old 06-27-19, 12:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The 2013 GS 350's clock must be manually adjusted for Daylight Saving time changes. In either 2014 or 2015 the clock no longer needs changing as it is tied into the car's navigation system and automatically adjusts 'if' the owner selects Daylight Saving Time in the setup.

The GS 350's clock only looks like an analog clock (instead of having a digital readout) with the hour and minute hands, but is controlled electronically using crystal-based timing much like a quartz wrist watch with hands in lieu of a digital readout.

What? This car is crap! That is like having to get up to change the TV channel. First, I don't have the power folding mirrors, the power folding trunk, and now I have to change my own clock. What is this a Model T, and I will have to turn a crank to start it? Of all the things the car does have, I don't quite understand the headlight washer sprayer thing. As in when would I use this? Maybe in snow, but living in Central Florida, I doubt if I would have the need. Like ever. So does anyone use the little power headlight washer thing? Realize, I am just kidding about most of the perceived negative comments. I am absolutely enjoying the 450h. Thanks.
The headlight washers, in my experience, are really only useful in snow/slush, where lots of snow and grime coats the headlights. I use them about once a year.
Old 06-27-19, 01:12 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

They spray automatically most of the time anyway. I've never manually activated them except as a test.
Old 06-27-19, 08:03 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Ok Chronor. Without having me pull out the owner’s manual. When do these activate? I can only assume it would go on if I spray the windshield so guess I am in the car and do not see it. Ok, I wish somehow there was a rear wiper. Hidden of course, but man, that morning dew would be great to wipe away. I know, sedans don’t come with such a thing.
Old 06-27-19, 09:24 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

If I remember correctly, if the headlights are on (I leave mine on auto, for me it's when it's dark) then spraying your windshield will also spray the headlights at the same time.
Old 06-28-19, 09:03 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Thanks ChronoR. There are only two things I required in any new car purchase. The rearview auto-dimming mirror for the night lights coming in and blinding me (figured it would be even worse in a sedan), and the auto headlights. It is just two less things I never have to worry about. So here is a question for everyone. Ok - the five of us. I like having a radio **** on the ML stereo. In fact, I rarely use the steering wheel volume control to adjust the volume. I use the **** exclusively (though I do not turn the radio off anymore). I just find it easier and I get to the volume exactly where I want. Plus, the **** is right there. Like right there at arms length. I am sure I could probably turn the volume up by using a voice command, but that would take way too long. How many of you use the radio **** as well and forego any other method. Thanks.
Old 06-28-19, 11:02 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

Another justification for leaving the radio on (but turned down) is if tuned to an HD AM or FM station
you will be getting refreshed information for the Navigation Traffic and Weather Channel features.
This became standard in the 2015's and newer. The map will show green/yellow/red corridors that
signify traffic density. Press the center console "menu" and then the screen "info", "weather". Real
time Weather Channel maps and forecasts. Open National City to find conditions elsewhere. They
will then remain in "Recently Checked" for use later.
Old 06-28-19, 11:20 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

I use the steering wheel controls almost exclusively but my wife likes to use the volume ****.
Old 06-29-19, 05:41 PM
Tom450
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

After having my ML radio replaced once because of the on/off switch, I always use the steering wheel controls whenever I can. Instead of turning off the radio I just mute the sound.

Quick Reply: New 2013 GS 450H Owner