Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

New 2013 GS 450H Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 05:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by ChronoR
Just so you know, on the outside door handle there's a slight indent on top. If you touch it it'll unlock just like how if you touch inside of the handle to unlock.

As for automatic lock, I don't think it does?
The only time the doors will automatically lock is when the doors are unlocked and not opened - they will automatically re-lock in 60 seconds, which is the standard timing.
Old 08-06-19, 08:57 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

You guys are so informative. First, I think the click sound I am hearing is from the gas cap. I did not realize that it locks/unlocks. I guess I have never pushed on it without the key in my pocket, so that makes perfect sense. Sound coming from the trunk area near the 12V battery. Oh look, the gas cap is located right there. ChronoR, this may sound strange, but when I touch the indent, it seems to lock the car, not unlock it. I have tried before, because I wanted to unlock all the doors when I have a passenger, so I touched the indent once, it locked, I touched it again, it stayed locked. So what is the secret to the door handle indent One more thing, have you guys ever wondered why the car gets better highway mileage than city. Like I achieved 37 on my trip to Charleston, where city mileage as you know is closer to 30. With that said, most hybrids get better city mileage than highway. I guess this is because the gas engine is running all the time for Highway travel as opposed to City travel. So if the regular GS is rated 28 MPG Highway, and we are rated 34 MPG (and more), and both cars have the V6 engine running on the Highway, why is ours almost 25% better? I know the answer is the Hybrid battery is constantly assisting, but isn't that the case with all Hybrids? Just curios. I know you all are fans of the 450H, but it is still a new toy to me, so bear with my seemingly oddball questions. Like Richard Gere said in an Officer and a Gentlemen, "I have no place else to go". Which means I have no one else to ask.
Old 08-06-19, 10:00 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry, I meant touching the indent LOCKS all the doors. Touching the inside of the handle UNLOCKS depending on the settings you've set inside the car. It can be just the driver door or all doors (I set it to all doors since I have a wife and kid lol).

As for why our car is better on highway than in the city unlike most hybrids, the answer is because our car has a relatively large engine. Because of that, even with electric assist, acceleration from stoplights still use a sizeable chunk of fuel just from starting the engine.

You'll notice that Prius-class hybrids have a <100hp engine while Camry-class hybrids have a 160hp engine. Starting those engines don't require as much fuel as the 286hp V6 in our GS450h. The Prius and Camry have the same combined EPA MPG nowadays but the Camry, with its larger engine, has slightly worse city (in exchange for better highway). Our GS450h with its gigantic engine therefore doesn't do as hot in the city (although still much better than a car of its weight and power normally would).

(Weight is a contributing factor but not as much as the engine size).
Old 08-06-19, 02:30 PM
Hues10
Advanced

As always ChronoR thanks for the nice explanation. This engine has been around awhile it seems, so any bugs should be all worked out. It is like GM's 3.8L V-6 they used to use in all their Pontiac Bonneviles, Buick LeSabres, and Chevy Impalas. They kept that think around for many years. In fact, I have not read any of you complaining about anything breaking on the car. Which is great to hear. Being my first Lexus, I am sold. It is so freaking quiet inside. And zero torque steer. I even love the side windows being some sort of rain proof. I just wish the rear window magically would get rid of the dew in the mornings. I am used to the SUV and the rear wiper to do that.
Old 08-06-19, 03:22 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Since it's rear-wheel drive, it wouldn't have torque steer for sure =)

The rear defroster won't clear the dew immediately but it should be able to do it within a few minutes. It's worth a try even if it's not as convenient as a wiper.
Old 08-07-19, 09:33 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
It's been nearly 5 years of ownership for me and I agree with Tom450, there is honestly no other car that I would rather own. The 4th gen GS450h hit all of the bullet points for me.

Closest competitor that I was considering going with was a used Model S, but Tesla doesn't have the premium/luxury feeling that the Lexus has.

I'll have literally zero trouble with my car *knock on bamboo* I still receive compliments from anyone that hasn't sat in my car before. I only wish my daily commute was longer and involved more highway driving (like when I originally bought the car), but I've gotten a 29+ average over the life of the car, so I'm satisfied.

I think that I've only seen one other 4th gen GS450h in Texas since I've owned my car. Love driving something unique!

~ Im2bz2p345
+1. I was just thinking about this earlier today. I checked Cars.com and as usual, found no other appealing GS450h I would buy if I ever lost mine. Concluded that I'll probably have to end up getting the GS-F. Most would dream for a GS-F, but I rather have the GS450h. Like you, I've never seen another GS450h out on the road -- and I'm in CA, hybrid capital of the world.
Old 08-08-19, 09:28 AM
Hues10
Advanced

So this morning, I was driving to work and I heard a stone hit my windshield. Granted not a rock or anything, but a stone. I thought I could then see a little tiny nick while inside the car. We are talking 1/8 inch at most. When I arrived, I felt the outside with my fingernail, and there is definitely a slight "nick" in the windshield. I don't know if it has always been there, or if it literally did happen this morning. No cracks, no chips, just the slightest of nicks. I know it is such a minor thing, but I was bummed. Now I know that is all I will see when I am driving. Granted the car is 2013, so the paint is not perfect by any means. But the windshield like directly in front of me right above the steering wheel. Argggghhhh. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 08-08-19, 09:42 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hues10
So this morning, I was driving to work and I heard a stone hit my windshield. Granted not a rock or anything, but a stone. I thought I could then see a little tiny nick while inside the car. We are talking 1/8 inch at most. When I arrived, I felt the outside with my fingernail, and there is definitely a slight "nick" in the windshield. I don't know if it has always been there, or if it literally did happen this morning. No cracks, no chips, just the slightest of nicks. I know it is such a minor thing, but I was bummed. Now I know that is all I will see when I am driving. Granted the car is 2013, so the paint is not perfect by any means. But the windshield like directly in front of me right above the steering wheel. Argggghhhh. Thanks for letting me vent.
Sorry to hear about your stone encounter. I had the same thing happened to me but a small chip, turned into a 2-foot long crack over the course of a week. Just FYI, replacing the windshield will run about $1300-1500 depending on what equipment is on your car. I think if you went aftermarket, it will be in the $500-700 area. Check to see what type of glass coverage you have with your insurance if you end up having to replace it.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (08-12-19)
Old 08-08-19, 10:05 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Ugh that's unfortunate. Where I live, the insurance covers windshield chip repairs for free because they figure it's more costly for there to be an accident!
Old 08-09-19, 01:50 PM
Hues10
Advanced

So I just purchased a little window chip repair kit on Amazon. Hard to describe, but it is only a nick on the windshield. 1/8' long and not deep, and the width is probably a finger nail. It really is hardly noticeable, except now I know where to look. I figure I have nothing to lose. For $10, maybe I can fill it so it is totally clear. Now I know why I drove my 2004 Saturn so long. I didn't care what happened to it, as long as it drove. On another note, I renewed my XM radio trial subscription for another 3 months. They had a deal for $2.15 basically for the three months. Figured it couldn't hurt. I like flipping the six stations I have programmed for music I have not heard in a while. Going to wash Lexi this weekend, and put her away for a week so I can drive the 2011 Acura RDX. Totally different, but it keeps Lexi like a new driving experience when I switch back.
Old 08-13-19, 07:58 AM
Hues10
Advanced

I am baaaaaccckkk. With an observation or question for the Hybrid masses. So I wash my car pretty much once a week. I swear, every time I wash it, I notice another paint chip, or some sort of paint defect. Even my wheels seem to get a chip or mark on them. It is not like I am driving this on gravel roads either. I know my RDX sits a little higher, but in five years of ownership, I really do not have any new blemishes on it. Do you all have paint chips or imperfections from just daily driving? Is it because it sits lower to the ground, and I do not have mudguards on it? Just curious. Not much I can do about it, but it is just an observation that it seems a sedan is very difficult to keep nice.
Old 08-13-19, 09:42 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Usually chip marks are on the hood, front bumper, rear-view covers, and windshield. But I guess everyone drives in different conditions so anything can happen.
Old 08-13-19, 09:58 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

I got PPF almost immediately because Murphy's law says your nice car will get chips almost immediately.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (08-13-19)
Old 08-13-19, 11:27 AM
Hues10
Advanced

And when I bought this 2013 in May, I saw that there were chips they had put touch-up paint in. I know it is almost impossible to touch up a car only and make it look freshly painted. Oh well, I still think my interior is immaculate. Black shows dust, but the seats are not wrinkled, the dash is in excellent condition. Probably one minor scratch on the piano black gear shift surface. And it is so quiet to drive. I still can't get used to it. I will consider the stone chips war wounds.......
Old 08-19-19, 09:21 AM
Hues10
Advanced

My update on Lexi. I had not driven her for a week, so I took her out for a somewhat 50 mile errand trip. Down to Sea World here in Orlando. As expected, the Hybrid battery was low, so the engine was doing its thing of recharging while the AC and cooling seats were on. Remember, it is Florida, so low 90's by the time I left. About three miles down the road, I checked the Hybrid batteyr status, and noticed it had charged up to 7 out of 8 bars. Now for my three months of ownership, I have never seen it go over six bars. Not once, but you all had said that is the case unless I am going down an extended hill. Did my thing at SeaWorld, and when I was starting out home again, I noticed it charged up to 7 bars again. Mind you, I am not complaining, I just thought it was curious that it seems to be charging up to one extra bar now. I haven't really stared at the charge rate, so maybe it has been doing it for a while. So I got to play some more on Sport+ mode once I hit the highway. It really does feel fast if you step on it at 50. Before you even realize it, you are at 80. Have to actually be a little careful in traffic since the accelerator is so sensitive. I still so enjoy this car gents. And of course, after I got home at 6:00, waited for some rain to pass, and gave her a bath. Job well done.

Quick Reply: New 2013 GS 450H Owner