Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Can I change my 51R battery DIY on 2006 400h?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19 | 06:15 PM
pakris
Rookie

Default A/C check up next

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
Some good points here. The ac runs on high voltage, so there could be a connection. Also, blend door actuators are not an uncommon problem.
I have an a/c appointment in the morning. I agree that since the battery was dying the a/c put alot of pressure on it to try and work, especially with a small leak.

I'll have to search 'blend door actuator' I don't know what that is. Thank you for the information.
Old 08-01-19 | 08:35 AM
pakris
Rookie

Back from having A/C checked. Found a leak in evaporator. I chose to have them fill with stop leak and freon.
The dashboard would have to be taken off to replace that part I was told.

Everything seems fine and I hope that the fix lasts!

As for the possible clogged condenser drain... I will see if I can handle that on my own (probably a better idea with help). Also, I will always remember to shut the gas cap until I hear one click and keep gas at least 1/4 full.
The following users liked this post:
mnewxcv (08-01-19)
Old 08-01-19 | 09:27 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pakris
Back from having A/C checked. Found a leak in evaporator. I chose to have them fill with stop leak and freon.
The dashboard would have to be taken off to replace that part I was told.

Everything seems fine and I hope that the fix lasts!

As for the possible clogged condenser drain... I will see if I can handle that on my own (probably a better idea with help). Also, I will always remember to shut the gas cap until I hear one click and keep gas at least 1/4 full.
Glad you've resolved your 2 big issues!
pakris (08-02-19)
Old 08-01-19 | 10:04 AM
Hobbes22
Driver

I knew someone who had an evaporator leak in a 300. It is expensive with the labor.
Old 11-05-23 | 04:04 PM
pakris
Rookie

Default 12V Battery issue again 2023 now

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
Glad you've resolved your 2 big issues!
Looking for recommendations on what 12v battery to buy.

Since this last post, the car has been diving fine. There have been times after lightning storms or very hot weather, that the VSC light would come on.
I keep the battery wrench on hand to be able to disconnect the battery in those unexpected times so that I can start the car again after it is turned off.
Also, I noticed wear on my tires, and adding air would help. Just guessing...perhaps a quick change in weather hot to cold with rain could affect tire pressure too.
Not to mention the electricity and humidity factors.

So I got new and better tires (all 4) at once recently. The VSC lights were off after that service and the car drove 20 miles approx. over a week before randomly coming on again.
I forgot the important advice you shared about the 2006 RX400H 12v battery design issue. I have a battery charger now and checked before driving
one day and the reading was 11.7v. (Deep cell 51R by Optima).

This battery did last 3 years this time. I did get codes right after the car failed on the way to Advanced Auto and I disconnected and reconnected the12v to start the car and make it into the parkinglot.
Here is what was captured:
C1241 L/H volt 12v battery
C1300 VSC ABS
C1378 Capacitor communication malfunction
and then these that are mostly lost communication messages:
U0073 Control module BUS off communication
U0123 Lost communication w/ Yow - rate sensor module
U0124 Lost communication w/lateral acceleration sensor module
U0123 Lost communication w/Steering angle module
U0293 Lost communication w/Hybrid VSC vehicle system control.

I have since checked all of the fuses and they look good. I did not know how to
take any relays or larger fuses? off. So I didn't

Thank you in advance for your advice!
pakris

Last edited by pakris; 11-06-23 at 10:56 PM.
Strlsn (11-13-23)
Old 11-06-23 | 07:15 AM
Vincenze
Pit Crew

Good to see a long term 400H person.

If there is one thing I recommend is regular trickle charging. If you are a regular short journeyer then the aux battery charging is compromised.

And a battery with a slightly higher CCA I have found useful. I have had my battery in for 3 years – it was a bog standard one from Halfords (UK) 600CCA 65 AH. But I do take care to trickle (.5 AH = v slow) it very regularly.

Wow they went up in price to £122 ($150ish) from when I bought 3 years ago (£75). Better look after it. Apparently good for 250000 starts.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vincenze:
pakris (11-06-23), Strlsn (11-13-23)
Old 11-06-23 | 10:34 PM
pakris
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vincenze
Good to see a long term 400H person.

If there is one thing I recommend is regular trickle charging. If you are a regular short journeyer then the aux battery charging is compromised.

And a battery with a slightly higher CCA I have found useful. I have had my battery in for 3 years – it was a bog standard one from Halfords (UK) 600CCA 65 AH. But I do take care to trickle (.5 AH = v slow) it very regularly.

Wow they went up in price to £122 ($150ish) from when I bought 3 years ago (£75). Better look after it. Apparently good for 250000 starts.
Yes, I drive a few miles weekly for short local trips.
I'm sorry I don't know what you mean exactly about the battery/data you shared.
...But I do take care to trickle (.5 AH = v slow) it very regularly.
Could you explain it for me?

I'm willing to learn what I can do myself for maintenance.
Old 11-07-23 | 05:59 AM
Vincenze
Pit Crew

Very slow charger at about half an amp input per hour. It does take a very long time to fully charge depending on how depleted a battery is.

pakris (11-07-23)
Old 11-07-23 | 04:10 PM
pakris
Rookie

Default Can I change my 51R battery DIY on 2006 400h?

Originally Posted by Vincenze
Very slow charger at about half an amp input per hour. It does take a very long time to fully charge depending on how depleted a battery is.
Thank you for the information. I learned something new.

I have a DeWalt pictured here and have only used it to test the volts on my battery after being parked overnight and before starting.
I don't know why but I didn't attempt to charge when I got a 11.7v reading.

Now I'm wondering if I can charge it so it will hold enough power to drive to Advanced Auto
to replace it with a new one.

Last edited by pakris; 11-07-23 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add picture
Strlsn (11-13-23)
Old 11-16-23 | 06:14 PM
pakris
Rookie

I have replaced the most recent 12v Optima with a similar 12v Diehard AGM. There has been terrible weather this week non-stop rain that kept me from driving. But I do go out each day and at least start the car, watch the display battery icon (hybrid) load and then drive down the street after the engine turns off and switches to hybrid.

Everything seems fine and cycles to and from the wheels (display) then right about when the temperate on the dashboard reaches almost half from C, the VSC lights come on and I need to stop/put in park/ get out, and remove the negative side of 12v wait and reconnect it so that I can start the car again. Lights clear drive back to my driveway and park.

So something else near the engine area is failing for this to happen. *Sigh*

I can't even drive to a mechanic or Advanced auto to check what it may be. I'm gonna look at the codes I got before getting the new battery replaced and start troubleshooting again.

Any recommendations are appreciated in advance!
Thank you all,
Patricia
Strlsn (11-16-23)
Old 11-16-23 | 06:29 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

I have replaced the most recent 12v Optima with a similar 12v Diehard AGM. There has been terrible weather this week non-stop rain that kept me from driving. But I do go out each day and at least start the car, watch the display battery icon (hybrid) load and then drive down the street after the engine turns off and switches to hybrid.

Everything seems fine and cycles to and from the wheels (display) then right about when the temperate on the dashboard reaches almost half from C, the VSC lights come on and I need to stop/put in park/ get out, and remove the negative side of 12v wait and reconnect it so that I can start the car again. Lights clear drive back to my driveway and park.

So something else near the engine area is failing for this to happen. *Sigh*

I can't even drive to a mechanic or Advanced auto to check what it may be. I'm gonna look at the codes I got before getting the new battery replaced and start troubleshooting again.

Any recommendations are appreciated in advance!
Thank you all,
Patricia
sounds like you need the code reader. Here’s a $15 one. That’s all you need.
OBD2 Scanner Clear Reset Engine Alert Code - Plug and Play Easy to Setup Use Professional Code Reader Scan Diagnostic for Cars Since 1996 with Freeze Frame/I/M Readiness - LeeKooLuu LK11 https://a.co/d/f4ZMpem

i think starting your car is actually worse for your 12v battery, if you are just going to short idle. You really need to drive it around for a bit for it to recharge (20+ minutes).. don’t quote me on that.

It sounds like you are just resetting your error light by disconnecting your negative wire. Not really helping with issue at hand. Good luck!
Old 11-16-23 | 10:42 PM
XRX
Pit Crew

I...

Did you have this issue before (before new 12v battery install)?
Old 11-17-23 | 01:30 AM
pakris
Rookie

Originally Posted by XRX
Did you have this issue before (before new 12v battery install)?
@XRX Yes I did and had the car scanned at Advanced Auto by a rep there. Then I posted the codes below on this Thread and also made a new one. (I'm still learning how to navigate the forum and share posts etc) So, here is my post from 11/05/23 on this thread:

Looking for recommendations on what 12v battery to buy.

Since this last post, the car has been diving fine. There have been times after lightning storms or very hot weather, that the VSC light would come on.
I keep the battery wrench on hand to be able to disconnect the battery in those unexpected times so that I can start the car again after it is turned off.
Also, I noticed wear on my tires, and adding air would help. Just guessing...perhaps a quick change in weather hot to cold with rain could affect tire pressure too.
Not to mention the electricity and humidity factors.

So I got new and better tires (all 4) at once recently. The VSC lights were off after that service and the car drove 20 miles approx. over a week before randomly coming on again.
I forgot the important advice you shared about the 2006 RX400H 12v battery design issue. I have a battery charger now and checked before driving
one day and the reading was 11.7v. (Deep cell 51R by Optima).

This battery did last 3 years this time. I did get codes right after the car failed on the way to Advanced Auto and I disconnected and reconnected the12v to start the car and make it into the parkinglot.
Here is what was captured:
C1241 L/H volt 12v battery
C1300 VSC ABS
C1378 Capacitor communication malfunction
and then these that are mostly lost communication messages:
U0073 Control module BUS off communication
U0123 Lost communication w/ Yow - rate sensor module
U0124 Lost communication w/lateral acceleration sensor module
U0123 Lost communication w/Steering angle module
U0293 Lost communication w/Hybrid VSC vehicle system control.

I have since checked all of the fuses and they look good. I did not know how to
take any relays or larger fuses? off. So I didn't

Thank you in advance for your advice!
pakris

Now perhaps since I have put a new battery in I may get different codes since a code reader was recommended by @joedaddy1 just before your reply. I mean the 'U' codes to me captured what happened just prior to pulling into Advanced Auto after stalling back when I had it scanned and even prior to the new 12v battery, the steering wheel auto-corrected and works... so I was thinking one of the other C codes could mean something.
The farthest I have been able to drive is just less than a mile on a straight road off of my street and needed to pull over to disconnect/reconnect the battery to start the vehicle and drive back home.

Thank you both,
Patricia

Last edited by pakris; 11-17-23 at 01:43 AM. Reason: spell correction
Old 11-17-23 | 01:37 AM
pakris
Rookie

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
sounds like you need the code reader. Here’s a $15 one. That’s all you need.
OBD2 Scanner Clear Reset Engine Alert Code - Plug and Play Easy to Setup Use Professional Code Reader Scan Diagnostic for Cars Since 1996 with Freeze Frame/I/M Readiness - LeeKooLuu LK11 https://a.co/d/f4ZMpem

i think starting your car is actually worse for your 12v battery, if you are just going to short idle. You really need to drive it around for a bit for it to recharge (20+ minutes).. don’t quote me on that.

It sounds like you are just resetting your error light by disconnecting your negative wire. Not really helping with issue at hand. Good luck!
Thank you @joedaddy1 but I can't drive far enough this time. I have been able to do what you recommend and then the car does fine. Has for just over 3 years with the last 12v Optima battery.
Are you thinking that this code reader will properly clear the codes and/or capture something other than the codes I posted?
Patricia
Old 11-17-23 | 09:56 AM
XRX
Pit Crew

Point 3: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...l#post11613311

Quick Reply: Can I change my 51R battery DIY on 2006 400h?