Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

2008 RX 400h Pulse and Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-19, 03:06 PM
rxowner123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 RX 400h Pulse and Glide

Hey all, I got my 2008 RX 400h a few months ago, and I have been averaging about 23 MPG. I have been looking for ways to improve this, and I came across pulse and glide.

How would you one go about doing the pulse and glide in the 400h? I’ve looked up videos on how to perform the technique and there was one where it showed a newer Lexus hybrid with a power gauge that displayed a “charge” section, “eco” section, then at the top “power”. The guy in the video also states that you want to be in eco mode at all times and then when gliding you drop into the charge zone.
Here is the video I am referencing:

On the 400h, the gauge only displays kilowatts. There is no charge, eco or power sections. Just as displayed in this article: http://www.voltaicvehicle.com/Lexus-RX400H-overview

I was wondering how to effectively do the pulse and glide method in this vehicle and where should the arrow be on the watt meter when gliding?

Thanks
Old 08-03-19, 04:37 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

use the center navigation screen -> info. Once on the screen showing the battery level, you want to maintain throttle to use electric power without the gas engine kicking on when you 'pulse'. Get a feel for it. After a while you will be able to feel when the gas engine will kick on before it does and you can let off the throttle a bit to prevent it. In some cases it has to happen based on load or speed. I find cruise control to be effective enough on the highway set to 65. Any faster and MPGs drop. Around town, just take it easy. It isn't that difficult. 2008 RX400h with 152k miles here, avg MPG of 26.5MPG for the past 3200 miles.
Old 08-04-19, 09:52 PM
Brouwersj
Driver School Candidate

Pulse and glide works mainly because the gas engine is more efficiently when you demand a little power from it (acceleration) than at a constant speed.
What you want to do is to accelerate (pulse) using the gas engine, don't stamp on the throttle, but don't baby it either. I found out the gas engine is at its peak efficiency when using around 50 to 75 kW, I'd have to look up the exact numbers.
Then, before reaching the RX400h's max speed for gliding, which is around 48 mph (again, I'd have to look up the exact number), let go off the throttle, and reapply throttle until no power flow arrows are visible on the screen. This is the hardest part, as the gas pedal is quite sensitive, but after a while you'll get the hang of it. You're now gliding. Theoretically, you want to glide until a standstill and repeat the process. In reality, let the speed drop maybe 10 mph and repeat, so as not annoy the cars behind you too much.
At speeds over 48 mph, you might be getting no energy flow arrows on the screen, but the gas engine will turn regardless, so it's much less efficient. Due to the additional drag on an SUV like the RX, pulsing and gliding will be more worthwhile in something like a Prius.
That's it in a nutshell. I have a 2006 RX400h and once managed 44 mpg on a 700 mile trip (on a single tank), staying off the highway and pulsing and gliding wherever I could.
Old 08-05-19, 09:36 AM
Weighit
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2008 is and has been very consistant in giving over 27 mpg for almost the life of the car since I bought it used in 2010. I live in the mountains and get some coasting down to help with overall mileage, but try to watch the screen and feeling when the engine is running and when i can get it to shut off. Just checked over the past 3,900 miles getting 27.7 mpg. I would like to buy a new Tesla Model X but this darn 400H is so much fun to drive and running perfectly, hate to give it up.Plus it isn't worth a lot anymore, so will wait a while and see what happens.
Old Today, 08:10 PM
HansDans
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rxowner123
Hey all, I got my 2008 RX 400h a few months ago, and I have been averaging about 23 MPG. I have been looking for ways to improve this, and I came across pulse and glide.

How would you one go about doing the pulse and glide in the 400h? I’ve looked up videos on how to perform the technique and there was one where it showed a newer Lexus hybrid with a power gauge that displayed a “charge” section, “eco” section, then at the top “power”. The guy in the video also states that you want to be in eco mode at all times and then when gliding you drop into the charge zone.
Here is the video I am referencing: https://youtu.be/GTt7F7pikSg

On the 400h, the gauge only displays kilowatts. There is no charge, eco or power sections. Just as displayed in this article: http://www.voltaicvehicle.com/Lexus-RX400H-overview

I was wondering how to effectively do the pulse and glide method in this vehicle and where should the arrow be on the watt meter when gliding?

Thanks
Sorry for the super old thread revival, recently purchased rx400h and this is what I got without trying to hard, it was on 7.1 most of the way only went up cos I was fed up with the long drive and booted it . There is a small white section between charge and power, removing ur foot from pedal the needle needs to drop below half of the small striped section for a sec or 2 to kick off the gas engine battery power level depending, easier on full than empty battery. Depressing pedal slightly u can use elec only but too much power demand Vs charge level in cells and it engages engine again . I think I can get it down to 6.9 maybe 6.8 on better flat roads. I drove on highway 80 to 110kmh certain section horrific bad road conditions . Inland down to coast. Elevation in my favour. I'm Sure it would be much worse reversed going up . Fuel at 22.3 ZAR per liter R900 approx 40l filled from very empty and arrived destination again very empty. 590 ish kms. Based in South Africa.

Last edited by HansDans; Today at 08:27 PM. Reason: Spelling