Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RX400h - Wont Start - Torque Pro Diagnostics - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-19, 09:13 AM
VicVega
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX400h - Wont Start - Torque Pro Diagnostics - Need Help

Hello!

I have a 2006 RX400h with ~150k miles. Recently the car was parked for several months where it was started sparingly. Now the car will not start. I get all of the typical lights on the dash including "check hybrid system". I downloaded Torque Pro, and installed the correct PID's for the RX400h. See above for screenshot. The voltage is consistent across the all cell's, which would lead me to believe the battery is not at fault. This is rather perplexing as I was ready to replace this part. I am now at a loss, and am at a dead end in determining why the car fails to start.

Additional information:
  • 12v battery recently replaced.
  • I can hear a gate or mechanical switch as I heard for most of my ownership try and trip the engine to start but fail.
  • When placing the key in the ignition, I need to hold the key firmly to the right. This is the only way the car would start previously.
  • No recalls to my knowledge have been performed. I am the second owner and purchased the car 4 years ago with 110k miles.
  • timing belt was replaced at 90k
  • Note that voltage(cm) can fluctuate wildly and can be twice the value as above.
  • Current charge with the key in the ignition on the dash shows above 50%
  • resistance between cells is also consistent (according to torque) which would lead me to believe that corrosion is not the problem though I am not an electrical engineer.

I am looking for advice from others that have been down this path.

Thank you!
Old 08-15-19, 03:48 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by VicVega

Hello!

I have a 2006 RX400h with ~150k miles. Recently the car was parked for several months where it was started sparingly. Now the car will not start. I get all of the typical lights on the dash including "check hybrid system". I downloaded Torque Pro, and installed the correct PID's for the RX400h. See above for screenshot. The voltage is consistent across the all cell's, which would lead me to believe the battery is not at fault. This is rather perplexing as I was ready to replace this part. I am now at a loss, and am at a dead end in determining why the car fails to start.

Additional information:
  • I can hear a gate or mechanical switch as I heard for most of my ownership try and trip the engine to start but fail.
  • When placing the key in the ignition, I need to hold the key firmly to the right. This is the only way the car would start previously.
  • No recalls to my knowledge have been performed. I am the second owner and purchased the car 4 years ago with 110k miles.
  • Note that voltage(cm) can fluctuate wildly and can be twice the value as above.
  • resistance between cells is also consistent (according to torque) which would lead me to believe that corrosion is not the problem though I am not an electrical engineer.

Thank you!
Does the ready light come on ever? If not, try jump starting it with another vehicle. Yes, I see you replaced the 12v, but still. Low 12v battery voltage will cause this condition. Start there.
The following users liked this post:
Hobbes22 (08-16-19)
Old 08-16-19, 06:39 PM
Hobbes22
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Also, try hitting the park bypass button on the console shifter. Just pop the cover off and push the button. Our 400h started suffering from intermittent starts. I hit that button once, and its been good for a year and counting. Though I expect you have a battery issue due to the lack of activity, it doesn't hurt to try...and its a quick cross of the list. After that, I'd try jumping it.

Last edited by Hobbes22; 08-16-19 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-16-19, 08:15 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

When was the last time the car started?

if more than couple of weeks, get a battery jump.
Old 09-27-19, 01:07 PM
VicVega
Driver School Candidate

Guys,

I have tried a good battery from another car that I use everyday. I have tried a jump box. I have tried the button on the shifter. Nothing has worked.

Thoughts from here?

To describe the behavior, there is a relay aft of the front seats that would typically switch on off before starting, that made a more definitive click when the car would run.

I am at a loss.

Worth noting is this car has suffered, like many other rx400's, from water intake into the cabin.
Old 09-28-19, 06:58 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

Your hybrid battery state of charge is fine.
Normally, problem you describe is 12V related. That being, 12V is charged off hybrid battery. I do understand you tried a different 12V. It's still appearing to be 12V related. Did you just swap 12V or used jumper cables? Did you use fuse box under the hood? It has copper bus inside for (+) terminal and then any good (-) on the engine. that's how those are supposed to be jumped.
Under condition that it is not 12V, you have tow to dealer coming. You need Techstream and Know How to check deeply what's going on.
Personally, I am not fond of "nstalled the correct PID's for the RX400h.". PIDs are "mess with at your own risk".
Old 06-13-20, 01:51 PM
jamwoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VicVega

Hello!

Additional information:

Thank you!

hi. Kindly ask, where can I find the PID for rx400h. Or where can I download the PIDs from.

thanks